Manly Coaches.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Just some random facts for no real reason.

In our 70 years, Manly have had a total of 22 coaches.

Only 4 coaches or 18% of those have given use Premierships.

Those 4 coaches were in charge for a total of 32 years or 46% of our existence.

The shortest period in charge before a premiership was Stanton - 2 years, then Willey - 4 years, followed by Bozo and Dessie - 5 years.

Each of those 4 have given us two premierships

Each of those 4 coaches was an ex Manly player.

How did that work out for them.

Ron Willey passed away a sad, lonely and largely forgotten fiqure.
Stanton only remembered by us oldies, hardly ever mentioned when the great '76 and '78 teams are mentioned.
Bozo, openly despised by many on this site.
Dessie, openly despised by many on this site.

The shortest period in charge before a premiership was Stanton - 2 years, then Willey - 4 years, followed by Bozo and Dessie - 5 years.

Stanton only remembered by us oldies, hardly ever mentioned when the great '76 and '78 teams are mentioned.
And yeah nah openly despised after 1 yr and no premiership.

Cranky Frank is a manly legend player and coach, & Kangaroo coach, who was also the Manly CEO in the mid 90s glory era.

He is probably only second to Arko in Manly's history. I'm not sure Bozo would be above him in that regard.

He then went on to be interim CEO at cowboys, and be on the board of the storm. Coached norths and balmain too.

How do you know Ron Willey was sad and lonely when he died ?? Also I wouldn't say he was forgotten, he would be quite well known to most league fans

Would be happy to be wrong. Just from seeing him around the place over the past few years of his life. Didn't look to be travelling well. There were issues I believe, but somebody with more knowledge will hopefully correct me.

Ron Willey and cranky Franky will forever be legendary at our club. Hasler in time will be. A lot of our fans are not happy with what he did in late 2011. No disputing bozos record as a player or coach. Current events are his responsibility and as we are on a results driven business, it's fair to say that he is under extra scrutiny.

those of you who saw these guys play will remember them all but bozo was the best of them all,an amazing running, kicking player with superior skill levels to anyone ive seen play,he would be a superstar in todays game,then became a good coach and I am sure he is only a bees dick behind arko in the legend stakes

those of you who saw these guys play will remember them all but bozo was the best of them all,an amazing running, kicking player with superior skill levels to anyone ive seen play,he would be a superstar in todays game,then became a good coach and I am sure he is only a bees dick behind arko in the legend stakes
Yeah Bozo was clearly our best ever player. Arguably Stanton is on a par with Bozo as a coach of Manly and Australia. Bozo hasn't been CEO, but many say he pulls the strings these days!

Not me.

maybe a donkey's dick

The club has been fairly ruthless to some club legends who ventured into the coaching ranks as well.
Alan Thomson
Alan Thompson
Ray Ritchie
Geoff Toovey.
I understood that the late great Ron Willey was homeless and suffering from dementia. Arko attempted to help and re house him but he would venture back out again.
A sad way for one of the sharpest league minds to see his time out.

I hope history is kind to Willo as well.

It's the only answer
hqdefault.jpg

Quick correction Woodsie: Willey was in his third year as coach when they won in 1972.

I think he was living on the Central Coast at the time of his death.

Quick correction Woodsie: Willey was in his third year as coach when they won in 1972.

I think he was living on the Central Coast at the time of his death.

You are correct. Was aware of his one of in '62, but as it was so much sooner than '72 left it out, as I thought it didn't impact on his preparation of his '70 to '74 teams.

Interesting thread.

So - working on the number of 22 former coaches - is it fair to say that all but 2 (Trent and Sharpie) had the minimum forum requirement for success (they were from manly?)

You have highlighted 4 successful coaches (success as defined by winning Premierships). So if we take those 4, and the 2 'non-Manly' coaches..... that leaves 16 coaches that fill the brief so many people on this site crave.

Of the remaining 16 - how many are considered as 'successful' and are worshipped? How many are held in high regard? Obviously Toovey springs to mind - even though he didn't win a premiership nor deliver success/stability.

God help whoever takes over as our next coach. Based on the data provided, they are on a hiding to nothing!

And btw, not having a crack at your thread @Woodsie at all - I actually find the insights really interesting.

I think it is very valuable to look at the past with clarity, rather than rose coloured glasses

And btw, not having a crack at your thread @Woodsie at all - I actually find the insights really interesting.

I think it is very valuable to look at the past with clarity, rather than rose coloured glasses

One of the facts I found interesting was that those 4 coaches were at the helm for a combined 32 years, nearly half our history.

And that it took Bozo and Des 5 years to build winning teams. In Bozo's case it took him 5 years both stints.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6