Manly coach Geoff Toovey confident the club will go well in 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly coach Geoff Toovey confident the club will go well in 2012

THIS is Geoff Toovey's chance to show the NRL world the joint hasn't fallen down in the wake of Des Hasler's defection.

This Friday, the premiers get on a plane bound for the UK - and a showdown with Leeds for the right to be crowned the World Club champions.

Yesterday Toovey named his squad for the February 17 clash at Headingley Carnegie Stadium in Leeds.

And when you sit down and really take a good look at the squad, really take a good look, you can't help but wonder if all this commotion about Hasler's departure has been taken a little out of context.

Not many rival coaches would mind swapping their roster for what Toovey has at his disposal.

Play The Telegraph Sportsbet.com.au Supercoach 2012

Brett Stewart at the back, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai in the centres, Kieran Foran and Cherry-Evans in the halves ... and what about the pack?

A back row of Watmough, Williams and Glenn Stewart - and a front row of Kite, Ballin and King.

It's a serious line-up.

So now for the next question: are the players committed to him

Does Toovey have their respect - or are they still dark the club let Hasler go?

This will define the Sea Eagles' season.

Asked yesterday if the World Club Challenge was a chance for the players to prove their commitment, Toovey answered as you'd expect for a man who gave so much to the maroon and white jumper in his years as a player.

"Their commitment to this club and their teammates is what they speak about," Toovey said.

"Their concern is about making sure the team is focused at what they are the best at in the competition and making sure they aren't getting distracted at what is around them. You can't question the commitment of any Manly team, especially this one."

As a player Toovey was just about the pound-for-pound toughest the game has seen in the past three decades, certainly he makes the grand final side.

But how does toughness translate into coaching? What you can already notice in his manner is that where Toovey had a habit of snarling when he wore the No.7 jumper as skipper, as a coach he is far more accepting of dumb-ass questions. Like, can you go back-to-back?

Remember, look at the roster. "It's a good side, it's a good side," he said.

"And it's been a consistent side for a number of years now. I think it would be foolish to underestimate the fight in any Manly team, particularly this one. They have had great success over recent years.

"There has been a lot thrown at this team in the past and they have always pulled together and fought back strongly.

"The character is not an issue and I believe it would rival that of any team in any sport anywhere in the world."

It's a bold statement, and it says everything about Toovey's belief in his players.

When Hasler walked everyone anticipated a meltdown, but while the inferno has continued at board level, with threats now to pursue Hasler in the courts, on the field Toovey says the focus is back.

Asked yesterday if the players felt robbed of a chance to enjoy the grand final celebrations because of the circus that followed Hasler's departure, Toovey admitted as much: "I think that is obvious. They definitely feel that way."

Manly squad for World Club Challenge: Brett Stewart, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Michael Oldfield, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Jason King, Tony Williams, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Jamie Buhrer, Vic Mauro, Darcy Lussick, George Rose, Joe Galuvao, Ben Farrar, Dean Whare.

What is noticeable is the number of times I hear the word 'fun' in the Players's quotes:)

I wish the Players and Manly Fans a belated GF celebration with the World Cup in hand :D

Well said Tooves - never underestimate the fight in a Manly team! Plenty of teams do, hopefully starting this season with the Warriors in Auckland round 1! ;-)

I'm not gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I love you Toovey. You just made my day.
Go Manly!
Good luck boys.

Eaglette Fan said:
If Manly win the WCC, it will give Tooves enormous confidence for the NRL season ahead.
Manly will win the WCC no ifs or buts !!!!

BOZO said:
Eaglette Fan said:
If Manly win the WCC, it will give Tooves enormous confidence for the NRL season ahead.

Which will be a great start to the season. However, should they be successful, ,and I hope they are, it will be very unlikely that any NRL team will subsequently underestimate the Sea Eagles. All teams will be keen to do us in, but don't they always?

arty said:
BOZO said:
Eaglette Fan said:

Which will be a great start to the season. However, should they be successful, ,and I hope they are, it will be very unlikely that any NRL team will subsequently underestimate the Sea Eagles. All teams will be keen to do us in, but don't they always?
Manly is like a good sort and all teams are always keen to do them but like all good sorts the Mighy Sea Eagles always get their way in the end :cool:

Sounds like the playing group have got a point prove ( nothing to prove IMO), with every journo giving Des most of the credit for last years premiership.

That along with the timing of Haslers departure straight after GF, could be the extra motivation the boys need to go B2B.

BOZO said:
arty said:
BOZO said:
Eaglette Fan said:
FFs you can't say good sort. If you continue to say good sort you should change your user name from bozo to zorba. Cos apparently he's a good sort.

Manly is like a good sort and all teams are always keen to do them but like all good sorts the Mighy Sea Eagles always get their way in the end :cool:

Great to see good positive news at last. I too took a close look at the team and hey it's not friggin bad at all.

Certainly these are the Eagles Golden years and when you look at all the list of State and International players most with two GF's wins up their sleeves you have to think there in with half a chance in 2012.

By Rd 4 we should know how much they want to achieve a Back to Back win. I'm hoping that the player group will prove the Critics wrong. That they don't need a Sir Des to win a GF.

Watch the likes of the respected three... Jamie, Glen, Jason and now more so Anthony lead up front, keeping the boys in check as they have done for the last couple of years. Under there guidance the boys should remain disciplined and focused on the year ahead.

Go you Mighty Eagles

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8