Manly Chairman Penn calls for change at the club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah pretty simple really, they were (we believe) behind financially coming into the GF and only turned a profit based on the GF win and merchandise (and again so we hear).

So I reckon 1.5 Million a year from Singo to move to Bluetongue would probably do it.

Mata's is right though the "preference share" stops that, and that is why the Football Club (as an entity) is so important...it guarantees to keep Manly just that...Manly.

Matabele said:
Is there one scrap of hard evidence to suggest the Penn agenda is to move the club? And don't come with hysterical FC conspiracy theories like domain names. Are people seriously suggesting Zorba is complicity in such an agenda? Really?

Well it was Penn and Mayer that got us playing 2 games a year at Gosford signing off for multiple years up there, not a year to year event where they looked to find the best return, there is one shred and where there is smoke there is either a smoke machine or fire. All the signs point to if its too much money each year in up keep Penn would look at other ways to stop the loss, one of them is reloction, each year we make a loss is one year closer to that.

but that isnt really the point, the point is too much power is corrupting and dangerous. Reilly having control of 3 votes is no worse than Penn having 3 votes.

Matabell I gave you a couple of days, and you are an idiot once again. There have been a heap of movements of privately owned sports teams in the US. The Brooklyn Dodgers now reside in LA, the Washington Senators in Minnessota, Houston Oilers in Memphis, St Louis Cardinals in Oakland, Cleveland Browns in Baltimore, New Orleans Jazz now in Utah, Seattle Supersonics now in Oaklahoma to name a few. And I din't get into Ice Hockey teams. Get real. Without the independent FC and LC people on the boards, then Penn, or whoever, can move the club. If Penn is manipulating Z onto the Board for his own purpose, then there will be more strife.

Fluffy said:
Well it was Penn and Mayer that got us playing 2 games a year at Gosford signing off for multiple years up there, not a year to year event where they looked to find the best return, there is one shred and where there is smoke there is either a smoke machine or fire. All the signs point to if its too much money each year in up keep Penn would look at other ways to stop the loss, one of them is reloction, each year we make a loss is one year closer to that.

I believe (and am open to correction) that the FC voted in support of these measures, may even have instigated them.

DSM5 said:
Matabell I gave you a couple of days, and you are an idiot once again.

In a couple of days I have expressed opinions without resorting to personal abuse. And will continue to do so.

DSM let me put a scenario to you

The current condition of Brookvale, for a number of well documented reasons, makes it difficult for the club to break even let alone be profitable. If the club loses money in a premiership winning year there are clear issue which will be ongoing unless there is a change to the oval etc

So, lets assume Brookvale will never be upgraded to the standard that is required and the club is reliant upon private owners to make up any shortfalls

What would you rather

No team or the team to be relocated?

DSM5 said:
Houston Oilers in Memphis, St Louis Cardinals in Oakland, Cleveland Browns in Baltimore,

Well if we are to be factual, the Oilers morphed into the Houston Texans I believe. The Cleveland Browns are still the Cleveland Browns. The St Loius Cardinals have just won the World Series.....

If a city has a compelling business plan and a succesful team it doesn't get moved. And a team with a long heritage rarely moves. LA are throwing everything but the kitchen sink, and a stadium to boot, to the Vikings to get them to leave their antiquated facility. Sound familiar?

You are scare mongering and it gains traction. However, the current destabilisation actually hastens the chances of a move because work that could be put into lobbying for a stadium is being wasted putting out grass fires and replacing key staff who have walked because they have had enough toxicity.

Then there is always Isz' question to answer.

I'm open to correction here, but I understood that the conditions of the preference share can't be changed or given up at the whim of the board members of the FC. I thought it required a vote by members and quite a hefty majority to boot. That's the whole point of the preference share in the first place. I don't think there is any conspiracy afoot with Zorba's imminent role on the board, however I'm less convinced that it wouldn't be in Penn's interest to move games away from Brookie.

When Mayer was shafted the leak was that he wanted to move (maybe with Penn) to move games to Gosford. A pretty unconvincing letter was sent from the Chairman of the Football Club that emphasised keeping Manly at Brookvale. Later it was revealed that the FC/LC reps had voted to take two games a year to Bluetongue.

I am not questioning that decision, more the way the Chairman of the Football club seemingly used this, plus the registering of the name - Central Coast Sea Eagles - by Penn, as a reason to shaft Mayer.

Basically was a lot of bollocks. Just like a lot of the talk, paper and otherwise at the moment. There is clearly a power struggle going on, the coach and some staff have said "Stuff It! I'm getting out."

because we are frigging broke with no financial future at Brookie. They are looking at alternatives to see if we can move some games to places that can make good dough.

Canteen Worker said:
I am not questioning that decision, more the way the Chairman of the Football club seemingly used this, plus the registering of the name - Central Coast Sea Eagles - by Penn, as a reason to shaft Mayer.

you have evidence of this?

Read the email sent out by the Football Club a number of years ago. Or talk to some of the people who received calls from members of the football club to explain the decision.

Someone at Manly registered the names Central Coast Sea Eagles and Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles and this was seen as something devious!!! The Football Club has a preference share so Manly could never be moved or changed, though this was bandied around as a problem.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4