Manly Blew It

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I still don't get why he didn't sign the contract if he had agreed to terms? What no pens again?

Also, if he was told to look at other options, what was the clubs plans from back then?

The financial terms were 'much' better as described by him. He's getting 1mil a year. I don't wanna pay anyone more than that. Common sense management
Manly originally offered him 1 million which was fair and he agreed. This was always going to be what he demanded on the open market. New deal sounds like it was more around 800k. Didn't Joe Kelly say DCE and Foran were priority signings?? Why take away a deal that he was happy with and then reduce it by 200k and tell him to look else where? Slap in the face and what are we too do now. Buy Trent or Maloney on near similar coin. No thanks

Manly originally offered him 1 million which was fair and he agreed. This was always going to be what he demanded on the open market. New deal sounds like it was more around 800k. Didn't Joe Kelly say DCE and Foran were priority signings?? Why take away a deal that he was happy with and then reduce it by 200k and tell him to look else where? Slap in the face and what are we too do now. Buy Trent or Maloney on near similar coin. No thanks
You're taking his word for it. As others have said if there was a piece of paper why didn't he sign. Unless he was trying to play us to drive his price up and it backfired

Neither of those guys will go anywhere near 1mil

The financial terms were 'much' better as described by him. He's getting 1mil a year. I don't wanna pay anyone more than that. Common sense management
completely agree going over $1m is crazy

DCE is not a $1M player, he doesn't even convert tries, that in a game for a team like Manly is worth 10pts on it's own. He has potential but playing just off J Lyon has made him look like he worth that. The same thing with Foz, without Matai next to him he struggles.

Yes we may have lost these two but we have been shown snippets of the juniors we have coming through like the Trbojevic Bros, Gutho, Hodges, playing with FG players like Hiku, Buhrer etc. we still have good players and future potential. If you are paying $1M + for these two then you have buckleys chance of retaining the players coming through. It gives you some play when the other vultures come circling again.

The Management may have lost out on these two but we can really spread the love around ($$$) and address weaknesses in our team.

I am yet to be convinced by the new management but not paying $1M per player for these two is good sensible management. How they respond with a plan from here on in will determine if they have blown it. Too early start asking for management to resign. The damage was done last year a few weeks out from the finals. Getting rid of these players that have too much pull in the dressing room is a good thing.

The Penns have been in for the long haul and are part of the success we have had over the last decade. Ppl suggesting they have bought out the majority ownership just to hand it back to the NRL is completely stupid. If it was about money they would have sold up their share when Manly was at it's peak. They will get my benefit of the doubt as we don't know the real story.

Players like Lyon, Ballin, Matai have all signed on and even Snake has openly said he never asked for a release. Doesn't mean he would have re-signed but he played like classic Snake on Friday so his heart is still in it.

They want to get paid more than Thurston, yet are half his quality.

And the silly thing Ryan is two clubs fell for it, one on over 5 Million plus goodness knows what in NRL 3rd part deals, the other on 4.7 Million plus you can bet some brown paper bags to make up the extra 300k.

Wonder how JT feels about this ??

Thurston and possibly Cronk are the only halves worth $1 million. The Eels and Titans have payed overs for a couple of players that are quite frankly not worth the money. I'm actually glad they've gone. Couple of bloody prima donnas. Enjoy your new clubs boys and remember, no pressure.

It's not just about the money. This group of players have brought success to the club on the field & made the fans happy to get season membership. On the other hand the egos off the field have made it a intoxicated environment to be in. The players & their families haven't been happy for a while not because of the fans but the off field fighting etc. Thanks a F***en lot.

If DCE agreed terms and Manly pulled it they've repudiated the contract and DCE could sue for breach. And believe me Orr would be all over that. So who is lying here?

I agree, over 1 million a season is crazy, but that is what teams are willing to pay for top players these days. I would have been happy paying DCE close to 1 million and locking him in for 4 years and letting FOZ go (as he is a little over rated I feel as a top ball playing five eighth) and not worth the 1.2 million a season parra are paying – that’s stupid!

I would have been happy to lock DCE as he wanted to stay and buy the young half Elgey for cheap and bring him up (like we did with Foran and DCE) and use the rest to entice Tom Burgees over. DCE is still young, and not a great by any means yet, but people thought the same about JT – and he turned out to be one of the all time greats! Remember, DCE only started looking at other teams when he was told by management to explore his options. Oh well, lets hope we can still have a successful season and get some enjoyment with this year. Dogs last year were horrible in patches, only winning 2 of their last 7 or 9 games, even being trounced by 40+ against the tigers – and they still made it to the GF! Manly can still have successful year – a long way to go yet. Hopefully the Penns/Kelly/Toovs can continue to bring success with some astute signings and fixing our defense would be a good start.

If DCE agreed terms and Manly pulled it they've repudiated the contract and DCE could sue for breach. And believe me Orr would be all over that. So who is lying here?
Agreed to terms verbally is different to a signed contract. But like people are saying, its all hear say - who really knows who gets paid what and what the contract actually reads??

Cherry and co are looking for a way to flip the tables and not look like the money hungry mercenary that he is.

As pen was not put to paper and Manly had not registered it with the NRL, the new Board was able to restart the 'process'.@:(

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4