Manly 9's - Your team selection

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldn't be risking Snake or Wolfman in this. Choc could probably do with a break given he will have rep workload next season.

Be a good opportunity to see some of the new signings get a run. We should be able to field a pretty good team.

brett stewy hell no, wolfman hell yes!
enough people to cover him if he gets a season ending injury

Mals said:
I think this is the exact reason why Lawrence should be picked! Playing & training for 9s will help his awareness in 13s in regards to space, support play & positioning defenders.

Very much agree with you on that point Mals.

2v at last night's AGM was not that taken with the timing of the Nines.

His view is that it is hard for the Players to lift for the intensity of a 2 day knock out competition, then in three weeks get back into the long slog of the normal season's first stanza.

2v said that as the rules of eligibility are still being agreed upon, he hadn't actually given much thought to the Nines.
However, he added that 'the Players will still want to win it and are excited by it' :)

After HMs reporting above I can't see DCE or Foran being risked for this tournament. Boys like Littlejohn, Lawton, Rudolph & Hiku can slot into the halves.

Well we have just booked a package to go over there and watch this. if half as exciting as the 7's up in hong kong, then well worth it. I just hope we dont send an U20's rookies side to represent this great club. Good to hear the players are intereted and would like to win this.

Anyone else going?

You will have a wonderful weekend cheering Manly onto their inaugural Nine's win :)

The rules require 14 out of our 25 Players to be picked, so do not fear that all our favourites will stay at home.

I think a healthy mix of new recruits and experienced Premiership winning Sea Eagles, would get Manly over the line :angel:

I doubt we would want to risk any of our top 5 ( salary cap ) that the rules say we have to.

Assuming its Killer, Stewart(s), Choc, Foran or DCE

Choc needs rest, Snake never in a million years worth risk, Gift not really suited to 9's, DCE/Foran played on until December need rest - leaves Killer but so valuable you would instruct him to never get out of a slow jog.

Don't like any of those choices really. Reasons to rest all of them.

It's a bit like SOO I guess. Are the players excited by the idea?? If the majority of the top squad are not that interested, and Tooves isn't either, then list the "injuries" (as in fake) our top guys have and send a bunch of the young guns over.

I hope Souths end up runners up. lol

I am assuming the team will be a great mix of experience and some of the younger / newer guys coming through. There will need to be one of our top 5 cap players in the side. So between Killer, Stewart(s), Choc, Foran or DCE, Toov's will need to pick one. I would go with DCE as my cog and I think he will have a field day out there. Throw in Hiku at full back....Hodges dummy half....lawrence and Horo up front. Thats a great start for mine. The rest of the team make will be absolutely fascinating. Cant wait to see these guys in action.

I believe the requirement is only 5 of the top 25 players.

From being a fan of Rugby 7’s I think you need at least two play makers, one left and one right but most of all you need speed. If you watch 7’s rugby, the players with speed are the standouts and we have quite a few across the park.

Of the NRL starting 13 I’d only include four, because it’s going to be a huge season and there’s more than likely going to be injuries in this competition, as there always are with Rugby 7’s:

Jorge Tafua – I’d play him as a forward when they have to have 5 in the scrum but ultimately on the wing with speed inside him. He breaks tackles and gains lots of metres.

Brenton Lawrence – speed and strength and will help make the centerpiece strong.

Jamie Buhrer – one of the quickest off the mark, great defence and passing game.

Tom Symonds – speed and strength plus a great hole runner and good in defence

We need a goal ‘drop kicker’ and that’s where Manaia Rudolph comes in plus he’s apparently a good ball distributor. He also has a RU background in NZ so has no doubt played 7’s.

If I had to pick our ultimate 9’s team it would be:

Brett Stewart
Jorge Tafua
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Keiran Foran
Daly Cherry-Evans
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough
Brenton Lawrence

With these guys on the bench:
David Williams
Tom Symonds
Peta Hiku
Clinton Gutherson
Michael Chee Kam
Ligi Sao

However, given protecting injuries for top 13 and our first four rounds, this is what I’d play:

Clinton Gutherson - elusive and quick

Delroy Berryman - really quick

Cheyse Blair - strong and quick but defence may be an issue

Jorge Tafua - As in the above synopsis of NRL players

Peta Hiku - elusive and perfect for this type of game

Manaia Rudolph - can't say I've seen much of him but his reputation is as a great ball distributor and he has a RU background. Can drop kick (those points are so vital in this type of game)

Michael Chee Kam - I seriously believe if he can remain injury free he'll be a super star in the game. Strong and a great runner of the ball and distributes well when he makes a break.

Jamie Buhrer - As in the above synopsis of NRL players

Brenton Lawrence - As in the above synopsis of NRL players

With these guys on the bench:

Wayne Chisholm - elusive and quick but probably a little deficient in defence. A point scorer when others tire and I think he has a great drop kick as well.

Tom Symonds - As in the above synopsis of NRL players

Jesse Sene-Lefao - Covers both backs and forwards. Quick and strong. I was surprised he didn't make an appearance in the first grade team this year (even though he was named once) but won't be surprised if he does this year.

Josh Starling - His reputation probably deserves a spot but either he or Jake T.

Ligi Sao - ideal for this game. Non stop and great runner with the ball. Strong in defence.

Jayden Hodges - a live wire and non stop player. Great to have on in the last five minutes of both halves.

rmd said:
Wayne Chisholm - elusive and quick but probably a little deficient in defence. A point scorer when others tire and I think he has a great drop kick as well.
:huh:

We needed Wayne Chisholm on GF night - to tackle yet another Referee :D

I believe that Dane is off contract :-/

RMd, I think will be closer to your top 9 side mentioned.

“The NRL’s 16 clubs have all guaranteed at least one top five player from each of the club’s salary cap. They will play alongside at least 12 of each club’s top 25 salary capped players.Some of the stars already on record as saying they want to play in the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines include Sam Thaiday, Willie Mason, Anthony Watmough, Greg Bird, Robbie Farah, Paul Gallen and Todd Carney”.

So with 16 players required to represent each club (9 on and 6 benched) I would say a good part of our 1st grade side will be there.

Will be an interesting side. Have not been this excited in an off season before.

Cant wait to see who 2v picks. Ive rested stars and giving some up and comers with either speed or mobility in the forwards a go.

1. Hiku
2. Taufua
3. Blair
4. Cherry-Evens ( 1 top 5). (C)
5. Buhrer
6. Symonds
7. Chee Kam
8. Horo
9. Lawrence

Bench
10. Starling
11. Hasson
12. Andrews/Turbo#
13. Lawton!
14. Rudolph#
15. Berryman#
16. O'Dare#

# players i don't think are in the top 25. I may be wrong about Lawton he signed with Lawrence think both were top 25 signings? Lawtons a must for me at 9 a side so quick for a play maker.

Could really open up opportunities for certain players to stake a claim for the top 17....expecting Jake T to really create plenty as he has a big motor, decent speed & mobility for a big fella & has the potential to be our best with offloads creating invaluable 2nd phase, ideal in 9's or NRL...

Cliffy said:
Cant wait to see who 2v picks. Ive rested stars and giving some up and comers with either speed or mobility in the forwards a go.

1. Hiku
2. Taufua
3. Blair
4. Cherry-Evens ( 1 top 5). (C)
5. Buhrer
6. Symonds
7. Chee Kam
8. Horo
9. Lawrence

Bench
10. Starling
11. Hasson
12. Andrews/Turbo#
13. Lawton!
14. Rudolph#
15. Berryman#
16. O'Dare#

# players i don't think are in the top 25. I may be wrong about Lawton he signed with Lawrence think both were top 25 signings? Lawtons a must for me at 9 a side so quick for a play maker.

I've been told Rudolph was signed as part of the clubs top 30 so he can provide cover in the halves as back up for Foz. Whether they meant top 25 I'm not too sure.

I was also told that at 16 years of age, and all in the same year, Rudolph was selected in the NZ Touch U17, U19 & U21 squads & before League came about 4 years ago his dream was to play 7's for NZ. So it seems he is a perfect fit for 9's...... Guess we will have to wait and see! :)

So when they have a scrum with a halfback feeding, that only leaves a 2 man backline right? I suppose it is an improvement on the 7s situation. The half always looked lost and alone when retrieving the ball from the back of scrums in those games.

I honestly doubt the club cares much about this comp to be honest. I'm expecting a token effort at best.

Don't risk
Snake, Lyons, Watmough, Gift, Foran,
King, Fa'oso, Matai
That makes DCE the top 5 player who is more durable.
Gives us 17 top 25 players and 4 others to form our squad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4