Manly’s squabbles did not diminish Willie Mason’s desire to join club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
niccipops said:
The Wheel said:
I am liking Willie more already

I've always liked Willie.;)

Now don't be filthy minded. I could be talking about a number of things/persons/whales that needed to be freed. :D

I applaud the remarkable restraint by all Silvertails posters who viewed this post.

And i must show restraint aswell, so I am determined not to touch Niccis post with a 10 foot Willie.

I didn't much like him when he was at Canterbury, easts, cowboys or newcastle, but now he's at manly I think he is fantastic. Good article.

Big Willie matured underneath Bennett (in the cleanest way) and now we will reap the rewards. Similar to Ben Kennedy IMO, especially with the young guys such as trobjevic, Chee Kam and Hopoate.

Kiwi Eagle was absolutely correct - he has matured a tremendous amount, and IMO Manly will get incredible value from him. I think other clubs regret not signing him when the chance was there. I am looking forward to his play this coming season. He will prove one of the bargains of the comp.

Willie came up a few times over the last year and most felt he was good value for the knights and playing way better than expected.

I know I posted this a few times as well KE and a few others, some did not agree but that is life.

30 minutes of high energy footy each game is all we need from him, BJ and Starling can play long minutes, and JSL/Lui run hard. Add our other 2 new recruits into the mix and hopefully a J turbojet uninjured and you have incredible potential, which is hopefully reached.

The test will be Hasson, if he plays more than a few games next year we will be struggling again. Unfortunately the guy just doesn't seem quite up to it and hasn't improved in the last 2 seasons.

I have never been a Maso fan. But I believe he is the perfect fit for our club Atm. His performances in recent times, his size, his experience, through to his light hearted jovial ways. We lost a King but we have gained a leader. just hope he has the mop of hair happening next year.

Fluffy said:
The test will be Hasson, if he plays more than a few games next year we will be struggling again. Unfortunately the guy just doesn't seem quite up to it and hasn't improved in the last 2 seasons.

totally agree we need a bit more size and aggression in our forwards. Hopefully new signings bring it, But want to say it is not all doom n gloom with Hasson. The lad is young. He's tall but is a bit light weight wise for the front row. He's had to play prop a bit before his time. That experience is only going to make this kid great, the kid.will fill out if.toov's want him.to be a.prop, he could.be a monster in years to come. Already 2 years of top grade experience under his belt. We've got a good one here he just needs nurturing. There will be.plenty of competition for front and second row spots in 2015. But it would.be a.shame if.Toov's doesn't.try and rotate his forwards to build that forward depth. Hasson, Andrews, Tetevano, Lauaki if he's with us and Turbo they.all need time in the top grade. Let's compare Hass with Turbo. Same weight pretty much. There's 2 years difference between the 2. whilst Hass has played more then he has missed in the top grade. Turbo so far I think has only got a few minutes in 1 game. For his age Hass is doing alright.

KOMORI said:
Willie Mason has always struck me as a competitor... The sort of guy who will try his guts out on a weekly basis: he's not playin for a paycheck he's playing for the victories.

At 35 he's at the twilight of his career and what better a way to cap that off, than with a premiership!! Realistically this is his last chance... I can't remember the last time he played in a team that's a genuine contender yet he's continued to put in 100% effort week in week out.

I believe he'll do bloody well at Manly. Hopefully he'll bring that little bit of "fun" that was missing late last year.. The boys seemed a little disinterested to me (understandable given the off field rubbish) but I don't think you'll see that attitude from Mason.

Overall he won't fill the gap left with the exit of Choc and Gifty: but in my opinion that's not what he's been hired to do. His job is to bolster our front row stocks, an area in which we've recently been lacking.

Anyhow... I reckon he's a good buy on a one season deal, and that he'll fit in well bringing with him some much needed experience:)

100% agree. Mason brings that little bit of devil to the front row that I think we lack in the almost too honest Starling and BJ.

Whilst the video was meant for comedy purposes, you can see a prime example of this in the clip were he was mic'd up. The laughing at tacklers, and getting in the ear of the oppositon, bit of sledging, relishing the rough apsects of the game because he does have that real competitive edge and an ego to go with it, and that always helps as a front rower (thats were I am blessed to play).

He might be 35 come April, but even a year is long enough to have that impact and try and instill that attitude in some of our other forwards. Smart signing IMO.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8