"Management" of this Club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

br00ky

Hi guys, lifelong fan, parents have been involved with the club their whole lifetimes and they have had some and still have some real strong relationships with some important figures in our club past & present (Just some context from where this post comes from).

Those in charge of managment of out great club from post 2010 are the main reason we are facing the issues we are today.

1. Coach Des: Its easy to hate, but that would be ignoring what was going on. Rewind back to 2010 - 2011. We are a strong club, dominating the comp, yearly contenders only rivalled by a salary cap cheating storm, we have a great coach. Performances on the field are always strong, the team is united, the team is motivated. Why did coach Des even consider looking outside?

Heres the truth: Post 2010 'management' were always interefering in the football department and overruling Des on issues he felt he should be in control of. He was greatly frusterated by this.

Add to this he was constantly told & knew he was being greatly underpaid. His salary was in the 400Ks at the time (good money for most of us), but he could easily demand DOUBLE that anywhere else and thats what he got.

So his manager gets in his ear, tell him we can present some other deals (and there were other clubs interested). Dogs offer him FULL CONTROL of the football department. No interference from front office - That was Dessies number 1 demand, and just logical with his proven track record.

Back with our management during this time, the clubs still not backing off interfering in the footy department, they arent considering upgrading his contract, KPIs still part of his contract. He Walks

2. Backended Contracts: Dessies startegy to try to keep the core group together as long as possible was not a failure. He managed to do it while he was here, but it relied on re-extending deals pre-contracts ending and not ending up in a situation where we have 2 of our biggest stars off contract at the SAME TIME. Des left 3 years ago, blaming him for this current mess with Foran & DCE offcontract at the same time is just a copout.

3. GIFTY: Letting him walk was literally the straw that broke the camels back. Whoever was responsible for this decision should be SACKED immediately. It was totally the wrong call (and clearly wrong at the time). Regardless of their arguments: he was getting old, money etc, he was part of the glue that kept the boys together. Best mates with all those players part of our dynstay. Brother of our current champion fullback. Let him go: straight away Snakes is offside and unhappy & fields offers from rivals. Wouldnt you keep Gift even if he had zero ability just to keep his brother happy? The flow on effect: Chocs offside. Matais offside. Forans offside.

Truth number 2. Gifty hasnt signed a rediculous $$$ deal with Souths. So the money issue is only really an "issue" if the club wanted to throw huge dollars at DCE & Foran ... But this leads into the last part:

4. DCE: This guy has NOW done more harm than good at our club. Its not the clubs fault or his, that he has become a great player, good luck to him on that. However, for his sake, players were sacrificed, decisions were made in the effort of keeping him and Foz together (like letting GIFT go) and he now just walks out to not a contender but a complete basket case of a club. The publicity his management (which DCE is responsible for) created during the last few months was very selfish and destabilising. Players can make it very clear to managers they want zero publicity and zero leaks, but this can lead to inferior offers, DCE obviously didnt. In two words greedy and selfish.

If the decision was made that DCE was going even less than a season ago. Gifty would be here, Choc would be here and we could be spending our time and energy into finding the next new gun half or a decent replacement. This isnt hindsight. The big eff up in all of this was allowing players to leave before DCE or Foz were either both secured, or one was allowed to leave to keep the others.

The right call: the decision should have been made that DCE wouldnt be retained due to the salary cap, it would have allowed the rest of the core group to be retained. That would have taken real good management, and has been seen at some other club. Short term pain yes, but longterm correct decision. Most people acknowledge if you have the luck of having 2 of the best halves in the game come through the ranks at the same time its near impossible to retain them both and keep a strong roster, unless they take a paycut. Not hindsight, just some strong management which is EXACTLY what management is paid to do.

The fault of the clubs current position=managment.

Bloody hell we lose one game and iT is extrapolated to this. Broncos lose a game and don't carry on like this DCE was always going you only had to read this social media to determine this some of the existing players didn't like him but fans wanted him to stay because he was a class player everyone blamed him for Gift leaving I think it will be onwards and upwards now and I think we will still have a good 2015

Whatever has happened THIS WEEK is THE week for management to stamp their authority.

First home game of the season after the proverbial week from hell.

I want a marquee singing. Either Foz or someone in a position of need of that calibre. Anything short of that will be a failure. These guys are out there. Get one.

So just wondering, what has Penn actually done to help our great club?? I am serious here, so I was hoping someone could inform me kindly please.

I do not know him personally so would also like to hear some thoughts on him as a person as well.

By the way.........Des left our club, he alone chose money over loyalty. I don't care what his manager may or may not have said he is a big man he can make decisions for himself. He is also an ego centric control freak and the way he left our club was utterly disgusting and no matter how bad things may or may not have been with our management at that time, you do not crap on your work place on the way out. And especially if that workplace had given you so much through out your life like Manly did.

Last edited:
Whilst I agree that the management have most of the blame in all this mess, when the NRL decide to become recruiters for clubs and throw enormous sums at a player what chance does anyone have. Also whilst I have directed a lot of venom at the Penns the fact is if they didn't pay the bills we would be extinct. So where do we stand as fans. Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.

Whatever has happened THIS WEEK is THE week for management to stamp their authority.

First home game of the season after the proverbial week from hell.

I want a marquee singing. Either Foz or someone in a position of need of that calibre. Anything short of that will be a failure. These guys are out there. Get one.
like a good mate of mine pointed out to me today all the players we have lost over the last few years, Lussick,williams, hodgkinson,kite,gifty,hoppa,whare,choc and now DCEand maybe foz too,and the last marqui player we signed was Lyon. Something is broken and needs to be fixed,and soon

like a good mate of mine pointed out to me today all the players we have lost over the last few years, Lussick,williams, hodgkinson,kite,gifty,hoppa,whare,choc and now DCEand maybe foz too,and the last marqui player we signed was Lyon. Something is broken and needs to be fixed,and soon
Yeah haslers back ended contracts

Des left because of the free sandwich brigade who are no longer getting free sandwiches. Get a grip. It's one loss. Parra belted sides in Round One in both of their recent wooden spoon years.

If this is true, the Manly staff have their work cut out for them and they're not making it any easier for themselves...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 53
I miss the Ox

Even when he played for Canberra he was better than Hodko
Busted his ass every game. Even when he was terrible he was terrible giving it his all (probably trying too hard made him worse haha) but God I loved the little fella. Him silencing everyone made 2008 that much sweeter.

Hi guys, lifelong fan, parents have been involved with the club their whole lifetimes and they have had some and still have some real strong relationships with some important figures in our club past & present (Just some context from where this post comes from).

Those in charge of managment of out great club from post 2010 are the main reason we are facing the issues we are today.

1. Coach Des: Its easy to hate, but that would be ignoring what was going on. Rewind back to 2010 - 2011. We are a strong club, dominating the comp, yearly contenders only rivalled by a salary cap cheating storm, we have a great coach. Performances on the field are always strong, the team is united, the team is motivated. Why did coach Des even consider looking outside?

Heres the truth: Post 2010 'management' were always interefering in the football department and overruling Des on issues he felt he should be in control of. He was greatly frusterated by this.

Add to this he was constantly told & knew he was being greatly underpaid. His salary was in the 400Ks at the time (good money for most of us), but he could easily demand DOUBLE that anywhere else and thats what he got.

So his manager gets in his ear, tell him we can present some other deals (and there were other clubs interested). Dogs offer him FULL CONTROL of the football department. No interference from front office - That was Dessies number 1 demand, and just logical with his proven track record.

Back with our management during this time, the clubs still not backing off interfering in the footy department, they arent considering upgrading his contract, KPIs still part of his contract. He Walks

2. Backended Contracts: Dessies startegy to try to keep the core group together as long as possible was not a failure. He managed to do it while he was here, but it relied on re-extending deals pre-contracts ending and not ending up in a situation where we have 2 of our biggest stars off contract at the SAME TIME. Des left 3 years ago, blaming him for this current mess with Foran & DCE offcontract at the same time is just a copout.

3. GIFTY: Letting him walk was literally the straw that broke the camels back. Whoever was responsible for this decision should be SACKED immediately. It was totally the wrong call (and clearly wrong at the time). Regardless of their arguments: he was getting old, money etc, he was part of the glue that kept the boys together. Best mates with all those players part of our dynstay. Brother of our current champion fullback. Let him go: straight away Snakes is offside and unhappy & fields offers from rivals. Wouldnt you keep Gift even if he had zero ability just to keep his brother happy? The flow on effect: Chocs offside. Matais offside. Forans offside.

Truth number 2. Gifty hasnt signed a rediculous $$$ deal with Souths. So the money issue is only really an "issue" if the club wanted to throw huge dollars at DCE & Foran ... But this leads into the last part:

4. DCE: This guy has NOW done more harm than good at our club. Its not the clubs fault or his, that he has become a great player, good luck to him on that. However, for his sake, players were sacrificed, decisions were made in the effort of keeping him and Foz together (like letting GIFT go) and he now just walks out to not a contender but a complete basket case of a club. The publicity his management (which DCE is responsible for) created during the last few months was very selfish and destabilising. Players can make it very clear to managers they want zero publicity and zero leaks, but this can lead to inferior offers, DCE obviously didnt. In two words greedy and selfish.

If the decision was made that DCE was going even less than a season ago. Gifty would be here, Choc would be here and we could be spending our time and energy into finding the next new gun half or a decent replacement. This isnt hindsight. The big eff up in all of this was allowing players to leave before DCE or Foz were either both secured, or one was allowed to leave to keep the others.

The right call: the decision should have been made that DCE wouldnt be retained due to the salary cap, it would have allowed the rest of the core group to be retained. That would have taken real good management, and has been seen at some other club. Short term pain yes, but longterm correct decision. Most people acknowledge if you have the luck of having 2 of the best halves in the game come through the ranks at the same time its near impossible to retain them both and keep a strong roster, unless they take a paycut. Not hindsight, just some strong management which is EXACTLY what management is paid to do.

The fault of the clubs current position=managment.
How come you know so much and yet this is your first post on Silvertails?

The right call: the decision should have been made that DCE wouldnt be retained due to the salary cap, it would have allowed the rest of the core group to be retained. That would have taken real good management, and has been seen at some other club. Short term pain yes, but longterm correct decision.

You make a lot of sense @br00ky but 12 months ago its easy to see how prioritising DCE over Gifty was the "short term pain long term gain" option and extending our aging players only to let the young stars walk seemed shortsighted.

Of course hindsight is 20-20 but plenty on hear 12 months ago were saying we better be SURE both DCE and Foz would be staying before we made such a heartwrenching and unpopular call on Gifty.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2