Lyon's Defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
I thought Killer (along with most of the team) had a pretty poor game against the Broncs....which is hard for me to admit. But I thought tonight he was back to his best, contained T-Rex well, and his reading of the breaking play that could have seen us go down 12-0 was superb. Not too many players could have read that so well, directed Snake to take one player, whilst he bolted back and took the other.

We go down 12-0 to the dogs and we could well have lost badly tonight. Just please don't be injured!!

The way he read their plays and cut off their ball receivers, was awesome to watch. :angel:

Two to choose from - gets the one who receives the pass :angel:
[attachment=805]

bob dylan said:
I thought Lyon and Brett looked like a pair of chumps vs the Broncos.

Both resumed normal transmission tonight.

Pretty true there. I thought last week Brett just didn't even look like he wanted to be playing. But tonight he was a constant threat, and was getting good metres from the back.

The way Killer slides in defence is amazing and absolutely text book. Young centres could do a lot worse than watching how he positions himself.

He's still the best centre in the game.

Even not fully-fit (like half our bloody side) tonight.

Look out if we get through the Origin period and get a decent change of luck with injuries.

Class beats brute strength in the end.

RiverEagle said:
He's still the best centre in the game.

He really is....just pure class. Even the try Hiku scored, so many players would screw up that and go inside instead of outside to Hiku (as Tate does, and apparently did again tonight). When the opportunity is there for his support players, Killer gives them the golden pass 9 times out of 10.

The two best football decisions Jamie Lyon ever made were coming to Manly in the first place (who in their right mind wouldn't want to do that?), and the other was deciding early on that he wanted to ditch playing rep footy and concentrate on his club game, even if that has gotten him offside with those in NSW team management (not that it stops calls every year for him to pull on the Blue jumper again).

He is without doubt the best centre playing rugby league today.....and he's our captain :D And personally I think the second best centre plays on the other side of the field for us so for mine we have the best centres in the world in the maroon and white (with the form he's in wouldn't Stephen Kearney love to be able to call on Skivy come this years Four Nations).

Every single post so far in this thread has been on the money; Killer is a champion!

As for the Brown play, well you expect that sort of thing from Jamie. It was certainly one of the plays of the year so far and crucial to the result.

Was Lyon coming out and in too fast in the play that gave the dogs their first try ? I also thought that DCE could have communicated better and held the inside while trusting Hiku to take his man.

I'd like to know where people legitimately rate him in terms of centres in the last say 20 or 30 years? If you remove the bias of his representative hiatus. Who in that time rates alongside, or above him? In the current say last 10 years the only player I rate with him is Inglis. And I would say for a one-off Inglis pips him, whereas over a season(s) Killer is way way way more valuable. Inglis tends to be in and out of games too much at centre.

But then back to your Renoufs and Meningas etc.

TokyoEagle said:
Was Lyon coming out and in too fast in the play that gave the dogs their first try ? I also thought that DCE could have communicated better and held the inside while trusting Hiku to take his man.

I think the decoy was T-Rex on that play, so Killer came in to nullify that and it went behind.

Killer03 said:
...his reading of the breaking play that could have seen us go down 12-0 was superb. Not too many players could have read that so well, directed Snake to take one player, whilst he bolted back and took the other.
That was indeed an amazing and crucial play. He reacted in a split-second with total faith in his teammate and saved a certain try, in my opinion.

90% of all training drills in the modern game are specifically designed to make the opposing teams centres and wingers look stupid. Every backline set play and every attaching kick is designed to put the wide defenders under stress and in two minds.

There is not a player in the comp that hasn't been made to look a fool this year, including Slater, Ingliss, Hayne et al.

Lyons just looks stupid a hell of a lot less than all the others.

I think there were a few nerves and ''ring-rust'' early......the loss last week would've hurt, and Killer and Foz had been out awhile.

Also obviously some of our guys are not 100% injury-wise.

Once they settled, class and experience kicked into gear...Cherry sparked the attack, and guys like Killer and Snake led the way.

Really hope Killer and Cherry's legs are OK.

I for one would actually love to see Killer come out of rep retirement to play in the upcoming SoO. He would be perfect in that arena and his place amongst the great centres of this era would be cemented. NSW needs you killer! One game!

Lyon has probably forgone 500K in rep payments since his decision to not play those games, 5 years of tests and some 15 origins.

TokyoEagle said:
Wolfman has accepted the blame for that one :0)

And we can thank the telecrap for abusing his performance in an origin game that led to his decision to stop playing rep football!
See rothtool and co can be useful!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4