Lyon: Manly must move on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY captain Jamie Lyon says it's time for the Sea Eagles to accept Glenn Stewart is moving on and refocus on on-field matters.

A philosophical Lyon on Wednesday said as much as it would be nice t
Glenn+Stewart+Jamie+Lyon+Sharks+v+Sea+Eagles+_7frBcOo07dl1.jpg
o see the NRL introduce salary-cap concessions or dispensation for long-serving players, business is business and all good things come to an end.

Stewart will leave Manly at the end of the season to take up a two-year deal with South Sydney.

The former Test second-rower and Clive Churchill Medallist has helped the Eagles to two premierships from four grand final appearances in a celebrated 12-year career at Brookvale.

“It's sad to see him go. I was definitely disappointed — you don't like seeing your good mates leave,” Lyon said.

“He's been so great for the club for a lot of years now, but I guess we have had a good run for a number of years now with the nucleus of the side.

“Eventually players move on or retire. That's the way it is.

“It's all been done and dusted now. He's got a bit of clarity now so (we're) looking forward to getting it out of the way and now concentrating on footy.”

Lyon did admit Stewart would leave big shoes to fill.

“I think he's the best ball-playing back-rower in the comp,” he said.

“He's so skilful, so durable — he's played through some injury over the years and is definitely a tough player.

“Yeah, it's going to be tough to replace a player like him.”

Stewart's impending departure does free up money for the Sea Eagles to retain powerhouse winger Jorge Taufua, who on Wednesday revealed he was close to re-signing with the 2013 grand finalists. Lyon said that was a positive and endorsed Taufua as ready for a State of Origin call-up.

“He'd handle it. He's a big, strong boy and he does a lot of work for us and I'm sure he'd do it for the Blues as well,” Lyon said.

“He's been on fire since he came back from his shoulder injury and he seems to be getting better every week so it's good to have him on our side, that's for sure.”

Darren Walton
FOX SPORTS

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/manly-captain-jamie-lyon-says-the-club-must-accept-glenn-stewarts-departure-and-move-on/story-fn2mcuj6-1226893579964

MANLY captain Jamie Lyon says it's time for the Sea Eagles to accept Glenn Stewart is moving on and refocus on on-field matters.

A philosophical Lyon on Wednesday said as much as it would be nice to see the NRL introduce salary-cap concessions or dispensation for long-serving players, business is business and all good things come to an end.

Read More

And there's the real glue of the club. Killer is a great captain who sets the example for all both on and off the field (except maybe a little bit with his kicking on some days).

Gifty is the happiest of the lot now knowing that he has his financial future locked down.
I expect another blistering year from him as he farewells his mates with hopefully another Premiership ring :)

Killer's viewpoint is shared by us all - business as usual at Brookis :cool:

I think Killers calm words are a good sign for the team.

Everyone bar anyone is majorly upset to see a favoured son depart to a rival club without the club being able to do a lot about it.

Our future is players like Jorge and its vital that we retain him and the other young stars we have.

Well said from our leader. Nobody likes the situation, but you deal with it and move forward.

lol....maybe he's about to announce he's signing somewhere else!?!?!?!

da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

(hear hear)

Lol ...when Jamie talks he always has his teeth closed. Opens his lips but his teeth stay closed. Didn't know how to word it.

bones said:
Lol ...when Jamie talks he always has his teeth closed. Opens his lips but his teeth stay closed. Didn't know how to word it.

No jaw action??

At school we used to call 'them country boys' ringers. As that's how they sounded when talking without opening the mouth.

ringer ringer ring ring ringer ringer cows ringer ring potatoes ringer ringer

bless them.

The most successful club of the modern era The high flying Sea eagles moves on and triumphs like no other team !!!
Be happy feathered friends and look forward to more success in the future :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4