Lyon fears hectic start

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Lyon fears hectic start will take puff out of premiers Michael Chammas
February 1, 2012

MANLY co-captain Jamie Lyon is concerned the premiers might suffer from the same World Club Challenge hangover that derailed St George Illawarra's quest for back-to-back titles last year.

There is an ominous parallel between Manly's approaching start to the NRL season and the 2011 start to the year for the Dragons, who fizzled out at the end of the year after producing the best start to a season in the club's history.

The Dragons started their premiership defence in England with the World Club Challenge, before travelling to the Gold Coast, New Zealand, Cronulla and Newcastle in the opening four weeks of the competition. Manly have a near-identical start to their campaign, away from Brookvale for their opening five rounds as they travel to New Zealand, Gosford, Cronulla and Kogarah in a hectic month to kick off the 2012 season.

Advertisement: Story continues below While traditionally most NRL teams have struggled in the early rounds of the competition after competing in the World Club Challenge, Lyon believes the gruelling schedule could take its toll on the team in the second half of the season.

''There is a big chance it will,'' Lyon said. ''If you look at our start to the season, we have a horror run. We're away for five or six weeks, so it's going to be tough. Sunday afternoon in New Zealand then backing up five days later in Gosford on a Friday night. We definitely have got our challenges there, so hopefully we don't get too many injuries and our recovery is top class.''

While there is every chance fatigue could settle in and disrupt Geoff Toovey's men from becoming the first team since the Brisbane Broncos in 1992-93 to win consecutive titles, Lyon isn't complaining about the opportunity the World Club Challenge presents.

Having played in England and been part of a previous World Club Challenge campaign, Lyon admitted the preseason trip wasn't the ideal preparation for an NRL season.

But the veteran centre put the onus back on the playing group to do their part to ensure they come out of it with no ailing side effects.

''You're out of your comfort zone and you're out of your normal preparations for the season, and that can be tough,'' Lyon said. ''You've just got to deal with it. It's going to take its toll but we just have to get through the first few games of the season and then hopefully we're in good shape when we're back at home.''

The last time Manly played in the annual match between the NRL and English Super League champions was back in 2009, also against Leeds. Their 28-20 win at Elland Road ended England's five-year stranglehold on the trophy and also triggered a period of Australian dominance, with Melbourne and St George Illawarra both winning in their recent visits.

The Sea Eagles have been working overtime under Toovey and, while the players remain in contact with former Sea Eagle-turned Bulldog, Des Hasler, they have enjoyed the change of scenery at the club.

''All up over the last couple of months, it's been pretty tough, but it's been pretty enjoyable as well,'' Lyon said. ''Everyone's getting along well and everyone's loving the little bit of change from Des.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/lyon-fears-hectic-start-will-take-puff-out-of-premiers-20120131-1qrfw.html#ixzz1l51Rp3DB

''All up over the last couple of months, it's been pretty tough, but it's been pretty enjoyable as well,'' Lyon said. ''Everyone's getting along well and everyone's loving the little bit of change from Des.''

That's the best part of the article. Sounds very promising.

It will be good to chalk up a few wins in the first couple of weeks to take pressure of the players and Toovey. A loss or two early and all the speculation will be on the coach and change of staff.

There is a lot of experience in the squad to help the younger ones to stay focussed. It is also about pacing yourself.

Credit to the journo for not taking pot shots re the clubs troubles after the team returned from the WCC in 09.
If this was a DT article by Kent or Rothfield, they would have both taken the cheap shots and sought a quote from Zorba saying how dysfunctional the club is.

I've said it before, but I think the off season turmoil might help us buck the trend that teams struggle to defend their title. There has been plenty of comments from players who are filthy that they didn't get to celebrate the premiership. If you don't celebrate than you don't have a hangover!!! We would have hit the preseason training tack without that feeling of accomplishment which leads to teams taking their foot off the gas a little bit.

I couldn't care less if we lose WCC and the first 5 rounds, as long as we are there in the first weekend of October.

"Lyon fears hectic start" is a strange title. I can tell you Jamie fears nothing! And if he does, he needs to get his head screwed on right before kick off or he should be dropped as captain with the full title going to Kingy.
For all the wowsers reading this, i am a massive Lyon fan and my tongue could not be planted any firmer in my cheek.
For all the Matty Johns wannabes reading this, commence "Tongue in cheek" jokes now. ;)

The bond that the Team will cement by Round 6 will be like no other side in the NRL.:)

Having a change in the rigors of training by an almost new Coaching/Training Staff would also be stimulating tn the old squad.

Was a Sprint Coach or Stats person appointed?

All bodes well for #2VB2B :D

It's always a worry that the WCC will get in the way early on. We face a slightly different problem because we start Super League this weekend and if we aren't focussed we could see ourselves being 0-2 in no time. Personally, I don't like where the WCC is at the moment. It's too much of a distraction for us because it's already in season and for you because it means flying around the world and playing a game only to get back a week before the season starts.

It is a hectic start! Games versus Tigers & Sharks will be must win games.

Mals said:
It is a hectic start! Games versus Tigers & Sharks will be must win games.

Not really. The WCC and the very short turnaround from England to NZ then to FNF means we'll be up against it in the 1st 2 games against Warriors and Tigers, who are both highly fancied outfits this year and who will be looking to make a statement against the premiers.

However we then have a 10-day gap before our next match so I expect we'll get our year on track by beating Sharks, Dragons and Eels, even if we did happen to lose the first 2 games.

Recent history suggests Manly will lose their opening game. 2007 was the last time Manly started the year with a win, in fact I think they won the first six games while Orford was out injured.

SER8 - I can see your logic. I guess I see the Tigers as a must win game because it's a "home" game & the fact the Tigers deserve payback for the "Gridiron" win against us at Bluetongue last year!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4