1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lyon closes door on Origin for good

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 12, 2014.

By Jethro on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM
  1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    JAMIE Lyon has closed the door on any chance of a State of Origin return, insisting the future of New South Wales lies with the younger generation.

Regarded as one of the game’s best centres, the 32-year-old Sea Eagles skipper has not appeared for the Blues since 2010.

Read More

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +1,897 / 7
      JAMIE Lyon has closed the door on any chance of a State of Origin return, insisting the future of New South Wales lies with the younger generation.

Regarded as one of the game’s best centres, the 32-year-old Sea Eagles skipper has not appeared for the Blues since 2010.

Many, including former Origin coach Ricky Stuart and more recently Blues legend Steve Mortimer, have urged Lyon to help NSW end Queensland’s eight-straight series dominance.

Despite calls for the Dally M centre of the year to once again don the sky blue, Lyon says those days are behind him.

“That phase of my career is over,” Lyon told NRL Pre-season.

“I’m just hoping to get another few years out of my body and play well for Manly.”

Lyon has previously stated his reluctance to play representative football stems from criticism he received over his selection in top-level teams after returning to the NRL following a stint in the Super League.

While the Blues have experimented with a number of centre combinations over the past three years - including Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Matt Cooper, Will Hopoate and Jarryd Hayne - Lyon is confident the Blues are making strides towards finally cracking the Maroons.

“It’s a new era for the Blues,” he said.

“They’re doing really well. They’ve got the makings of a good side. They’ve just got to put it together.”

Nathan Ryan
      FOX SPORTS

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-centre-jamie-lyon-insists-he-will-not-be-making-a-return-to-state-of-origin-football/story-fni3gnk1-1226824620076

2. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +2,698 / 27
      Maybe.....finally......finally final......everyone might just get the message.....he DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY!!!! How many times does Jamie have to tell Mortimer, or Stuart or Daley or Fuzzy Lumkins???

Was it in 2010 when they picked Jamie.......at 5/8? Now he's a quality 5/8 and has won a comp there, but surely you put the worlds best centre at centre?

I've always said I'd love him to play, but he's not interested, and I really think Origin could start affecting his body badly at the age of 32.

• Like Like x 5
    3. wedgetail eagle

wedgetail eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +1,724 / 10
      Agree. Within the boundaries of sport/NRL,
      32 isn't young. So, for Lyon to dedicate himself solely to his club is a smart move & will add to his longevity.

• Like Like x 1
    4. master blaster

master blaster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +674 / 4
      yeah I agree Killer03,now they can all just leave him alone

5. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
      Ratings:
      +11,498 / 254
      Beaver is available :p

• Like Like x 2
    6. mmmdl

mmmdl Active Member

Ratings:
      +105 / 2
      I read so many places about people bagging Killer for this decision.

I always stand up for him and point out - as he has done his entire career - he is putting his family first.

Plus, he never gets any credit about the fact that the decision had probably cost him 200k+, because the $$$ aren't that important to him.

7. IQofalimabean

IQofalimabean Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +273 / 11
      The media goes on and on about this like a Broken record. But it is his performances for Manly that matter not the NSW team, who don't pay his wage.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +2,698 / 27
      What really gets me going is that we constantly talk about the d***head element in rugby league and all these people who get hammered and go out on the town and disgrace themselves, and physically intimidate people. And then we talk about players needing to appeal to the female and family element.

Then we have a 2 time premiership winning player, who has played in 5 grand finals, and I struggle to remember him being involved in any off field drama. And now he's big crime is putting his family first???

Is something missing here?

• Like Like x 4
    9. double hoops

double hoops Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +2,625 / 113
      Cliffy is God. Yeah!!! Well Jamie is close to being proclaimed Jesus. I'd love to see him rip Ingliss a new one playing against each other in the centres. IMO Jamie's such a better player there now compared to when he was playing origin.

10. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
      Ratings:
      +1,740 / 81
      Why stick your neck out for a pack of losers? :)

• Like Like x 3
    11. Townsville Eagle

Townsville Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
      +171 / 0
      Jamie is spot on...the future is our kids now and we too can create a dynasty....hahahahahahahaha, not with Daley coaching.

12. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +3,308 / 51
      Seriously it is time for NSW to move on. Killer has said it for the last time, hes not going to play for the blues again. With this current Queensland team NSW need new blood and play without the fear that has choked them for the last 8 years.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Big Bird

Big Bird Member

Ratings:
      +15 / 0
      Come on Jamie - NO... Come on - NAH... COME ON! Mr Lyon - NUP... Come on, only you can beat QLD - NO... Come on, your the best in the world, we were only mucking around before, what we said and that - YEAH NAH... Come on, 10% off roof and gutters for you and immediate family? - HMM NAH... Please - Okay.

14. Lord Eagleton

Lord Eagleton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +835 / 24
      Rugby league types must be a little hard of hearing (aka they are thick).
      HE IS NOT PLAYING FOR NSW. WOULD YOU WANT TO?

15. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
      Ratings:
      +11,498 / 254
      The only way this NSW Media harassment will stop, is for Queensland to annex Wee Waa :idea: :p

• Like Like x 1
    16. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +1,654 / 14
      I'm a very passionate Blues supporter, but LOL.
      I'll pay that one Commander. ;)

17. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +7,788 / 58
      Future headline......

Jamie Lyon refuses yet again to make himself available for nsw!

When questioned on his stubborn refusal to help out nsw he answered:

"I'm flattered for the thought guys, but I am 85 years old!"

• Like Like x 3
    18. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +1,404 / 35
      I agree, they should really leave him alone.

Manly comes first in my opinion and I like how he is committed to the club and his family. Its not like he hasn't played at all for NSW.

This wont unfortunelty end till NSW eventually wins SOO