Lyon backs out of NSW return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

R3

Bird gang affiliate
http://www.nrl.com/lyon-backs-out-of-nsw-return/tabid/10874/newsid/63131/default.aspx

Jamal Idris is happy to play wherever NSW want him but Manly centre Jamie Lyon says he won't answer an SOS to help the Blues out of a crisis.

NSW coach Ricky Stuart's preparations for State of Origin II were thrown into chaos on Saturday night with Michael Jennings injuring an ankle in Penrith's easy win over Gold Coast.

Jennings will have scans on the injury before Sunday's announcement of the NSW side for the June 15 clash at ANZ Stadium, but it almost seems certain that he will join left edge partner Brett Morris (hamstring) on the sidelines for game two.

Complicating matters is the fact the two most likely to come into the side in place of Jennings - Canterbury duo Idris and Josh Morris - enjoyed a forgettable night at the office on Saturday night as Lyon helped himself to two tries in Manly's 38-4 win at ANZ Stadium.

Idris, 18th man for the Blues for the series opener, said he's be more than willing to switch to his non-preferred left centre position to cover for Jennings.

"I'll play wherever, I'll play wherever they want me," Idris said.

"If they want to play me in the front row, I'll play in the front row.

"Whatever happens, happens. They're the ones that tell me and I just sit back and wait and enjoy myself until then."

Lyon said he was no available for selection, despite missing the deadline earlier this year by which time anyone wishing not to be considered for representative sides had to make a written submission to the NSW Rugby League.

"I think I'm pretty much retired from the rep footy," he said.

"I didn't know that about Jenko (Jennings' injury), he's been playing some good footy.

"I think they've got plenty of strike centres there in Idris and Josh Morris. They could easily fit in so I think they're fine with the centres they've got there."

Morris would also be in contention, though he endured a torrid night up against Lyon, including one defensive gaffe in which he failed to take any runners in Lyon's first try of the night.

Mixed feelings about this for me:

1. I'm embarrassed as a New South Welshman that our players can be to reluctant to represent our great state.
2. I am however 'OK' if he wants to focus on Manly's Premiership instead.
3. I feel it doesn't hurt to look to the future and game 3, because in truth Gaz and Killer are not gonna be there next year, nor should they be by then.. I maintain confidence Jenko is the future, we just need another one to lock in the otherside.

Thoughts??

NSW are meant to be building for the future anyway so it works for Jamie and the Blues imo.

Who'd want to play for a loser like Stuart. He's such a dog. Jamie has as much right as Cooper to say no. Anyway the Premiership is what it's all about. Getting Manly over the finishing line holding the silverware up is all. SOO secondary comp. It's like the Endeavour cup. Who cares who won that.

DSM5 said:
Who'd want to play for a loser like Stuart. He's such a dog. Jamie has as much right as Cooper to say no. Anyway the Premiership is what it's all about. Getting Manly over the finishing line holding the silverware up is all. SOO secondary comp. It's like the Endeavour cup. Who cares who won that.

Yep you just know Jamie wants another premiership before he retires :)

Idris should have been there for game one although I'd prefer Gasnier out rather than Jennings cause I think Jennings has just come back into form and is the future NSW center so too is Idris. Glad Morris is out so they can rightfully bring in Hayne. Watmough must be picked starting backrower. Bird,Choc,Gallen what a backrow that would be if Stuart has any balls that is what should be NSW backrow. Front row should be Weyman,Gidley,Hunt. Snowden, Mannah, Scott, Creagh on the bench.

IMO Jamie is still 1 of the best centres in the game, and deserves to wear the NSW and Australian jerseys. However if he wants to focus on winning a comp for Manly, its his choice and should be able to do as he pleases.

torana355 said:
NSW are meant to be building for the future anyway so it works for Jamie and the Blues imo.

My exact thoughts or opinion too. It wouldn't benefit anyone for him to play under the circumstances

Rayreyray said:
torana355 said:

My exact thoughts or opinion too. It wouldn't benefit anyone for him to play under the circumstances

Benefit anyone??!! I'm sure it would benefit NSW!!

blitzkrieg said:
Rayreyray said:
torana355 said:

Not if his hearts not in it Blitkrieg..

Rayreyray said:
blitzkrieg said:
Rayreyray said:
torana355 said:

Last game he played for nsw he didn't want to be there and played his usual best

Rayreyray said:
blitzkrieg said:
Rayreyray said:
torana355 said:

True Ray, didn't think of that as I'm a Qlder and we all want to play Origin all the time!!
However they way the Blues players have been treated over the years with blame, getting dropped, and then reselected you probably think - is it worth it? Best of both worlds for me - no Lyon for Blues and him playing for us (Manly!)

blitzkrieg said:
Rayreyray said:
blitzkrieg said:
Rayreyray said:
torana355 said:

True Ray, didn't think of that as I'm a Qlder and we all want to play Origin all the time!!
However they way the Blues players have been treated over the years with blame, getting dropped, and then reselected you probably think - is it worth it? Best of both worlds for me - no Lyon for Blues and him playing for us (Manly!)

That's exactly it Blitzkrieg. In the end, here in NSW we are passionate about our state but SOO is 2nd rate compared to Manly (or any of the other teams) getting the silverware. All QLDers care about is the SOO because its 3 games where everyone praises them and where they can show off. We here in NSW don't care anymore so it would be rare these days to see a NSW player go on in rep footy until they retire.

SOO has become a huge QLD lovefest and we are over it. Lyon sees no point in it, neither does Cooper. They'd rather win a premiership ring because that's what they are getting paid to do.

Spot on Jono.

I've been saying the same thing for years.

Most fans in NSW don't give a rats about SOO. That's one of the reasons we struggle to fill ANZ

I agree thats the general mindset unfortunately Jono. Wish SOO meant more to everyone, I love it! C'mon Blues!!

The thing I don't understand about Origin is why does everyone care so much? Nationalism, while I don't necessarily think it is a good thing, is understandable, but 'Statesism'? Give me a break. Such an arbitrary border line and wishy washy identification rules (e.g. GI = QLD) is ridiculous IMO. The clubs are the important sides - not the states.

clontaago said:
Because it puts the best players against each other. Pretty simple really.

It aint rocket surgery.

But its so obviously not when the NSW selectors have no idea! Or do you think they are picking the best of the best Clon?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6