Luke Lewis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Parra? I can understand why would want Lewis, but why would Lewis want to play for them? Gould says Lewis wants to play in a successful team, and doesn't want to go through the rebuilding Penriff are planning.
That rules Parra out.
Cronulla or Souffs are a much better chance for him to at least reach the semis.

Put me for another vote for lewis to cronulla. The sharks look like they have the salary cap room.

The other 2 clubs who i think might have a play for him are the raiders and the dragqueens.

Been thinking about it. Manly ask Harrison to look elsewhere - why? We had money for T-Rex AND Lussick at what the club thought was a comfortable level. We lose Whare.

Why COULDN'T we have some decent coin to throw Lewis way?

It would be a big "up yours" to Des, The Chooks, The Panthers and The Eels who have been flogging our players for the past 5 years.

He'd be a great addition, but more importantly, with all these players leaving, it would send a good message to the rest of the league that Manly can still be a player in the player market.

He'd give us those amazing off loads. Think about it guys. We are looking pretty thin next season:-

01. ????????
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. ????????
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao

We have the potential of having: B Stewart, Mauro, Harrison, Lussick, T Williams, Whare, D Williams leave.

An injury or two, and we are toast.

Ryan, as much as I'd like to have him here, I saw somewhere today that he is on $425k a season at Penrith. There is no way we would have that much money to spend on him, unless Snake was to leave which i dont see happening.

Break it down like this. As backrowers go, and Mauro has played backrow when forced, surely we can replace Williams, Harrison, Lussick and Mauro with Lewis?

I don't think the full scenario for salary cap implications has been revealed at this stage. ie, has Lewis received a payout from his final 2 years meaning he is free to negotiate with anyone, or as the Panthers still have him under contract they still play a part in negotiating with any suitors and for the next 2 years the Panthers will be paying a portion of his salary meaning they will probably only negotiate with who ever is willing to pay the most of it. Also if he is under contract can clubs offer him more than he is currently on and if so what are the implications for the cap?

Way too many unanswered questions and cap variables for me to definitively say who can and can't afford him.

We do seem to have shed alot of players without picking anyone up. Oldfield, Whare, Williams, Lussick, Harrison, And maybe Mauro.

Granted we have re signed alot of expensive talent but those players will have to be replaced in the 25. Surely all those positions won't be filled with up and coming players.

Maybe Lewis is on the cards.

Lewis is 28, obviously 29 next season. The lemon has been sucked. Put the money into youngsters. You guys go on about our aging pack and now want to buy an aged has-been looking for retirement income. Lewis has done little for Penrith over the last few years, and I didn't see him do much in the current SOO series. His best is behind him.

He aint no Ben kennedy

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams (wont be on big money anymore)
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Sao
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Chee Kam

Gutherson, Goodall, Jake Trabojevic, Cunningham etc all coming through. Were fine for depth.

DSM5 said:
Lewis is 28, obviously 29 next season. The lemon has been sucked. Put the money into youngsters. You guys go on about our aging pack and now want to buy an aged has-been looking for retirement income. Lewis has done little for Penrith over the last few years, and I didn't see him do much in the current SOO series. His best is behind him.

He aint no Ben kennedy

If you didn't see him do much in Origin I would suggest opening the eyes while watching next year ;) I would suggest you haven't seen much of Penrith the past few years either after reading that

KaZa said:
01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams (wont be on big money anymore)
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Sao
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Chee Kam

Gutherson, Goodall, Jake Trabojevic, Cunningham etc all coming through. Were fine for depth.

Nice Side

Apart from Lyon, Kite, Rose, Galuvao who debut for other teams (and maybe Sao & Chee Kam by season end)

WE BRED THEM DOGGIES

Masked Eagle said:
I don't think the full scenario for salary cap implications has been revealed at this stage. ie, has Lewis received a payout from his final 2 years meaning he is free to negotiate with anyone, or as the Panthers still have him under contract they still play a part in negotiating with any suitors and for the next 2 years the Panthers will be paying a portion of his salary meaning they will probably only negotiate with who ever is willing to pay the most of it. Also if he is under contract can clubs offer him more than he is currently on and if so what are the implications for the cap?

Way too many unanswered questions and cap variables for me to definitively say who can and can't afford him.

It was reported that he will receive no payout for the final two years. It effectively wipes the slate clean and Penrith suffer no hangover, and the club to pick him up are paying his full amount.

Interesting to note that due to his long service, Penrith has a $200,000 long-term player exemption in their Cap, meaning he only took up about $250,000 which is a bonus they have now lost.

I have no doubt Lewis' manager has already got an agreement (in principle) in place with another club for about the same money, as no manager in his right mind would ask for a release without it. Given he was in Cronulla on the weekend and asked for a release on Monday, he's probably going there.

As for Gus being criticised for what he's doing, it's like what Perry inherited at Manly and has been criticised for (very unfairly from what I've seen so far) by the media, a massive salary cap problem.

Whereas we have a few good juniors coming through (in reality it's all you need, just 3 or 4 a year) Gus has a massive load of talent coming through in the Penrith juniors (leading Toyota Cup, semis in both SG Ball and Harold Matts) and probably wants to try and keep them, with a 5 to 10 year plan in mind.

Don't underestimate Gus, he maybe an arrogant 'punce' at times but he's a very good coach and judge of talent. And, Cleary has already demonstrated that he is a very good coach of younger players in their development stage when at the Warriors.

rmd said:
I have no doubt Lewis' manager has already got an agreement (in principle) in place with another club for about the same money, as no manager in his right mind would ask for a release without it. Given he was in Cronulla on the weekend and asked for a release on Monday, he's probably going there.

As for Gus being criticised for what he's doing, it's like what Perry inherited at Manly and has been criticised for (very unfairly from what I've seen so far) by the media, a massive salary cap problem.

Whereas we have a few good juniors coming through (in reality it's all you need, just 3 or 4 a year) Gus has a massive load of talent coming through in the Penrith juniors (leading Toyota Cup, semis in both SG Ball and Harold Matts) and probably wants to try and keep them, with a 5 to 10 year plan in mind.

Don't underestimate Gus, he maybe an arrogant 'punce' at times but he's a very good coach and judge of talent. And, Cleary has already demonstrated that he is a very good coach of younger players in their development stage when at the Warriors.

Yeah. Penrith has so much home-grown talent coming through that they let most of it go to other clubs and pay overs for imports. Their recruitment, and lack of retention, does not stand up to scruitiny. Don't believe the Gus spin. They are in crisis.

• 👍
Reactions: L80
Personally I couldn't give a damn about about Penrith but yes, I agree The Who, they're in crisis at the moment, but sometimes it takes a crisis to recognise the changes needed to ensure a successful future. They were in crisis before Gus got there.

I think Parra is in a worse situation, but then they have been for years with all their in-fighting, which seems to have transpired to their playing group.

Thankfully our playing group and support staff culture is far better than what's going on in our boardroom at the moment and all the de-stabilisation that some are apparently trying to create.

I put it down to people like Joe and Kite, whose inluence on the playing group cannot be underestimated. Kite was the one of the last people Keiran had dinner with before he signed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6