Loyalty & Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Opinion Piece

In this old cynical bastard's view, Rugby League is losing it's allure. It's not about community or a demographic anymore - it's not tribal. It's not about the Joey Johns, Steven Menzies, Darren Lockyer types. It's about a bunch of young blokes wanting as much coin as possible, no matter who it's with, or where it is.

The clubs are just as bad, if not worse. If Glenn Stewart wasn't offered a contract, I hope there was some form of communication as to why, how much, and when things would transpire.

There's no loyalty - either way. In fact, that includes the NRL. The NRL doesn't reward long standing players, their families or their tenure.

All this culminates in fan affinity, which in turn results in lower attendances (as seen by the earlier rounds).

The tough sell in all this, while the NRL, players, and clubs cannibalise each other, is the fact that all three ask for (no, expect) loyalty from the fans no matter. They feel it's owed to them.

How can players threaten mutiny within the ranks if they don't get their way, when the wholesale reason specific decisions are being made by the club have been dictated by NRL Salary Cap Restrictions.? Is the expectation from players like Steve Matai that The Manly Sea Eagles cheat the salary cap to accommodate Glenn Stewart?

Or is communication between Stewart and the club in question here?

I have supported this team for a good long while now, and I love the team with all my heart and soul, mainly because of the fans, but also players like Steve Menzies, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Jason King & other club legends.

This whole affair, and in fact MUCH to do media & social media wise with The Sea Eagles has been handled very poorly not only on this subject, but quite a lot. There appears to be communication breakdown.

It's very, very hard to remain so passionate, plugged in and loyal, when the system, behaviour and output coming back from the players, the club & The NRL are anything but.

If the current administration in the NRL think the salary cap was originally designed so that club legends have to uproot at the tail end of their careers, then I call the current NRL administration charlatans and fools. The salary cap was designed so that the game would be sustainable monetarily, and that certain teams cannot dominate for long periods - basically to even the field - the result being a larger proportionate fan base per team.

The current Long Standing Player Allowance contradicts that ethos. It goes against what the salary cap was designed to do - which is amass a growing number of fans - because I tell you right now, there are a few unhappy campers with all that has transpired here.

Thought's?

As far as the young players go it's young people in general that have limited loyalty these days, they have grown up in a society where greed is not good but a necisity of life. Both parents must work full time, you leave a job as soon as there is a better one- or get sacked as soon as they don't absolutely need you.

The football always was football but now it is business, ratings, brands and demographics.

Jatz Crackers said:
Then why do you refer to the club as a brand ?

Because we all have our own personal brand. You, me, the players, the club - everyone and everything. Call it a "product" if you prefer. Call it "the club". It really doesn't matter. It's the sum of all things relating to that particular widget.

It's like Pepsi vs. Coke. Some people love one "brand" over ther other, but that's not really it. What they REALLY like, is the taste, how it goes into making a spider, how it tastes with Burborn, where it is sold etc.

But this is semantics. If "brand" is off putting, I could call it my Eagles family (which I have done before) if that is easier to take. End of the day, the "brand" is letting fans down with prehistoric rules (and amounts).

Probably a stupid idea, though I have often wondered if a weekend of a strike by fans might make the NRL sit up and take notice of what we, the supporters of the game really want.

Can't see how it would work, but it would mean a petition to the NRL to listen to us fans, listing the points we consider important.

Everyone not watching a game on TV or attending a game at the grounds and not purchasing any newspapers. Hit the media outlets who have too much of a say in the running of the game where it really hurts them, their pockets!

Everyone I've spoken to, mostly non manly supporters, sympathise and think the NRL should do more for players who have been at the one club for 10 years! Add the list of other problems supporters aren't happy with as well!

I wouldn't base too much of my opinion on this matter on what I read in the papers. Very few people would be privy to what has actually transpired behind the scenes in trying to retain gift. Talk of lack of offers, player revolts etc are just that, paper talk.

I'm comfortable that the club wanted to retain gift but wasn't able to do that because of the restraints placed on them by the salary cap. I have no reason to doubt our recruitment and retention policy based on this one incident, after all it has kept as at the pointy end for close to ten years now.

I love gifty, great player, great clubman. Gutted to see him leave. Was equally gutted when beaver and OJ left, two other club greats. Same goes for kitey. Unfortunately that's life in the NRL. There'd be plenty whinging if we went through a 3-4 year rebuilding phase because we hung onto some older players for a season or two too long and let the young guns go.

The NRL do need to wake up though and look at long term player discounts. Player loyalty is what keeps fans engaged and is what this game has been built on. I struggle to see how the NRL can justify bending over backwards to assist players like SBW who treat the game like their personal doormat, yet they won't lift a finger to keep club greats in the playing strip they have sweated and bled for.

Chip and Chase said:
The NRL do need to wake up though and look at long term player discounts. Player loyalty is what keeps fans engaged and is what this game has been built on. I struggle to see how the NRL can justify bending over backwards to assist players like SBW who treat the game like their personal doormat, yet they won't lift a finger to keep club greats in the playing strip they have sweated and bled for.

This is the real point for me. To see Kitey or Gift in another team's colours is just wrong. Year after year we invest a great deal in those that bleed for our team. To see Kitey or Gift play in other colours really hurts. If they cannot see that then they don't understand how we think!

Chip and Chase said:
I'm comfortable that the club wanted to retain gift but wasn't able to do that because of the restraints placed on them by the salary cap. I have no reason to doubt our recruitment and retention policy based on this one incident, after all it has kept as at the pointy end for close to ten years now.

I love gifty, great player, great clubman. Gutted to see him leave. Was equally gutted when beaver and OJ left, two other club greats. Same goes for kitey. Unfortunately that's life in the NRL. There'd be plenty whinging if we went through a 3-4 year rebuilding phase because we hung onto some older players for a season or two too long and let the young guns go.
You're right C&C. The Max Delmege statement in the Gift thread sums it up well. This isn't a case of Manly being disloyal to Glenn. The club simply can't pay him what he's worth and Gift deserves to earn that money in the last few years of his Nrl career.
Just sucks that a genuine club man and rugby league player like Stewart can't be shown some consideration by the Nrl in this situation when blow a blow in and out athlete like SBW can run his own show.
The game's priorities are all wrong.

The ARLC has to read the mood of fans on this one, and recognise and look beyond the self-interest of the clubs, who are simply waiting to pick up our stars one by one as they are forced from their club.

It's Manly and Glenn affected right now, but this outcome is bad for the game as a whole.

The personnel at Clubs is basically a game of musical chairs now :mad:

But I believe that like we on here, Fans are Fans of their Club and not individual Players. Its always emotional when a favourite leaves, but in every instance, at Manly at least, a new favourite is discovered and added to the Manly Family :angel:

The main thing that irks me is contracts not being honoured. This is totally an NRL issue, as they are the ones who enable a Player to be re-registered with another Club, during the same period :mad:

On the subject of loyalty, I see SBW is to boycott the Anzac test over pill/energy drink during the '13 World Cup.
I reckon young Tohu Harris would be dirty on SBW, the way he suits himself.

ManlyBacker said:
Chip and Chase said:

This is the real point for me. To see Kitey or Gift in another team's colours is just wrong. Year after year we invest a great deal in those that bleed for our team. To see Kitey or Gift play in other colours really hurts. If they cannot see that then they don't understand how we think!

That sure is the case with us and with some of the other clubs but Todd Greensperm will point to the roosters signing sbw and there massive increase in membership as the preferred business model moving forward.

I would like to see the NRL clamp down on these back ended contracts. This is the reason why were behind the 8 ball over Gifty and the other players we had to let go.

The NRL are only interested in money. Loyalty is totally gone.

Shame Gifty goes but the club will always be strong.

Nice post Ryan. I blame the NRL for much of the lack of loyalty among both players and fans. They sold out to TV, placing their needs above those of us who are the lifeblood of the game, the fans. They have made it difficult to get to matches because of scheduling, remote venues, admission prices, not to mention the huge profits they make from overpriced club merchandise.
They have allowed TV to skew the comp to favour those clubs which generate the largest number of eyeballs in front of a television screen. TV don;t want fans at matches; they want them on their arses in loungerooms. This is not an even comp. As a result, not all clubs have an even chance of success and gaining sponsorship dollars.
On to the salary cap: How can it be working when it allows the wealthiest club to entice a player like Barba to quit mid-contract, and get away with it simply by paying compensation? Was this $300,000 part of the Boncos salary cap? They may tell us "yes" but where is the transparency?
RL was incredibly strong when St George dominated the competition for 12 years running. We didn't need upsets every match to get fans to matches. If ever our team beat the mighty St George that one win made our season. Now every game is a lottery. Every game is mired in controversy. No longer is the better team assured of a win. There is nothing wrong with a club creating a dynasty of success. But the NRL don't encourage it. If anyone killed loyalty it was the NRL.
Shame NRL. Shame.

ManlyBacker said:
Chip and Chase said:

Exactly this!! I've spoken to fans from other clubs who think it is a joke that Glenn wont see out his career in a Manly jersey and I feel the same towards other players at other clubs. Smith, Slater and Cronk should all stay in Melbourne if they want to, JT should finish his career at the Cows, Minichello got his wish granted to stay at the Roosters. If you have been at a club for 10 years, it should be up to the individual player whether he leaves or not. If he wants a nice pay day at the end of his career, and another club is willing to give it to him so be it. Maybe any player who spends 10 continuous years at 1 club should be exempt from the salary cap?? This would then encourage clubs to show loyalty to some of their players, knowing once his $$$ are exempt, they can plan to lock in their younger stars.

niccipops said:
Chip and Chase said:
You're right C&C. The Max Delmege statement in the Gift thread sums it up well. This isn't a case of Manly being disloyal to Glenn. The club simply can't pay him what he's worth and Gift deserves to earn that money in the last few years of his Nrl career.
Just sucks that a genuine club man and rugby league player like Stewart can't be shown some consideration by the Nrl in this situation when blow a blow in and out athlete like SBW can run his own show.

Does the 'B' in SBW stand for 'Boycott?'

Apparently he won't play for New Zealand in this test. The radio said he was going to boycott the game.

Then NZ rugby league came out and said he wasn't considered for the test. As if you wouldn't pick SBW first for the test - I don't understand this.

Love him or hate him he's a great player. He'd be in any side I chose in a game of Rugby League unless he was injured. Even then if he was on one leg I'd still pick him.

What is going on? Don't we want a great ANZAC test to be played?

Daddycool08 said:
niccipops said:
Chip and Chase said:

Does the 'B' in SBW stand for 'Boycott?'

Apparently he won't play for New Zealand in this test. The radio said he was going to boycott the game.

Then NZ rugby league came out and said he wasn't considered for the test. As if you wouldn't pick SBW first for the test - I don't understand this.

Love him or hate him he's a great player. He'd be in any side I chose in a game of Rugby League unless he was injured. Even then if he was on one leg I'd still pick him.

What is going on? Don't we want a great ANZAC test to be played?

Unless he boycotted of course. :p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4