Lost in the disappointment....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
of the loss is the fact the one great player we have lost for a lengthy period may be covered by a rapidly improving(through game time) Jamie Buhrer.Totally different player to Glen but I am really liking what I am seeing.Since Choc moved to a tighter role we haven't really had a back rower who can find a hole.Good game from the lad and really gives me confidence we can win this thing even if Glen struggles.

People forget the kids only 23. He's already played Origin and City Country so he's still basically learning the game at top level.

Kid could be anything.

Yeah agree the kid is exactly that still a kid, he's been doing his apprenticeship and he's ready to step in fulltime. He'll really grow into that position now with Gift going. Don't get me wrong I think Gift is still one of the best backrowers going around and we missed his toughness out there last night BUT think about it, would you rather keep Gift for 2 more years and lose a player like Buhrer for the next 8-10 yrs ?

Burher has been a big improver this year and this has come with more game time. I thought horo had his best game of the year last night

It is a very flat feeling today, especially after the build up through the week.
I think most of us can see it in it's proper perspective already and whilst it's not the Manly way to make excuses, there were mitigating factors. And we've already out-pointed two other heavyweights this year in the Rorters and Rabbids - which is better than the H and A rounds last season.

I will say I'm a little concerned about our injuries too. Even Snake and Cherry were clearly wounded last night, and it's only injuries to our top ten guys that I can see potentially stopping us from winning the whole damn thing again.

We need at least Foz or Killer in that game last night and we win. Killer may have been the difference with goalkicking for a start.

But, it does give other guys, like Ferris, a chance for more game time; and man didn't Jamie shine!

Other guys like JLJ and TRed to name just a couple would've learnt tough lessons and can hopefully be wiser next time.

There will be ample opportunity for our guys to get square and redeem themselves down the line...

It's only injuries, or the lack of them, that may be the only thing to stop us!

( And, as always, the refs!)

Jamie has really come along and toughened from mid last season onwards and is showing up the areas that are lacking in Glenn's game to be a force in the modern game.

Yes they are two different players and both have their positives and negatives but the areas i have been critical of Glenn for the last few years or so "lack of sharpness, not taking the line on, not taking go forward pressure off the forwards and not line running" is what you see in Buhrer and to a lesser extent Symonds.

An extra 5/8 who racks up tackle counts, makes solid one on one first impact tackles when not fatigued can look good at times no doubt about that but it has it's limitations.

Symonds and Buhrer are guilty of falling off tackles/ hand grabbing at times and don't have that strong ball and all one on one impact tackle read Glenn has which will be missed.

mickqld said:
think about it, would you rather keep Gift for 2 more years and lose a player like Buhrer for the next 8-10 yrs ?

You make a very good point mick and imo the answer's a no brainer - gotta keep Jamie.

Technical Coach said:
Jamie has really come along and toughened from mid last season onwards and is showing up the areas that are lacking in Glenn's game to be a force in the modern game.

Yes they are two different players and both have their positives and negatives but the areas i have been critical of Glenn for the last few years or so "lack of sharpness, not taking the line on, not taking go forward pressure off the forwards and not line running" is what you see in Buhrer and to a lesser extent Symonds.

An extra 5/8 who racks up tackle counts, makes solid one on one first impact tackles when not fatigued can look good at times no doubt about that but it has it's limitations.

Symonds and Buhrer are guilty of falling off tackles/ hand grabbing at times and don't have that strong ball and all one on one impact tackle read Glenn has which will be missed.

Yeah it's what we lacked last night. When you have Gift and Choc working in tandem in defense, getting up quick and smashing players in ball and all tackles it lifts and inspires the rest of the forwards. Choc tried his darnest but without his defensive partner we just lacked that bit of steel and sting that could have made the difference last night. The other thing we lacked. Brent Kite's strong line bending charges. In fact Rose provided plenty of that for them last night and it gave them momentum at times too.

The change in the game this year has been a blessing for Jamie. The game favours the smaller, agile forwards now. He is going great, I hope he keeps it up all the way to the GF!

What disappointment?
You take out our right side attack arguably the most dangerous in the NRL (which hasn't been togethermost of the season due to someone being injured) we've punched above our weight.
The fact we only lost by 3 points to the Storm spells danger for most opposition teams - as soon as we get everyone healthy (Tooves will have a tough choice of who plays and who misses out - Lil John is a massive find imo, we could quite easily rest DCE or Foz and not miss a beat)

I always thought Ferris was solid but unspectacular.

But he made a believer of me last night. I gave him 3 in the 3-2-1 and didn't even think about giving the 3 to anyone else.

He was great and handled playing 80 admirably.

The 13 jersey is in good hands.

simon64 said:
I always thought Ferris was solid but unspectacular.

But he made a believer of me last night. I gave him 3 in the 3-2-1 and didn't even think about giving the 3 to anyone else.

He was great and handled playing 80 admirably.

The 13 jersey is in good hands.

Still think we'll have a handy side next season

1. B.Stewart
2. Gutherson/ Hiku
3. Lyon
4. Matai* /Hiku/Foran
5. Tafau
6. Foran/Littlejohn
7. Cherry Evans
13. Buhrer
12. Horo
11. Watmough
10. Lawerance
9. Ballin
8. Starling

14. Hodges
15. Symonds
16. Lui
17. Sene Lafeo

18. Hasson
19. Harrison
20. Turbojet
21. Luaki
22. Chee Kam
23. Rudolph
24. Satini
25. Williams*

* provided we still keep them

Garts said:
MadMarcus said:
Garts said:
But he is too small and should not be in 1st grade!!!!

That's what they said about his coach

Exactly and how did he turn out.
Jamie's try last night brought back my many fond memories of 2v's scrum base tries :)

A great tactic, and hopefully we will see more of them.

Fatherhood obviously agrees with Jamie :angel:

The problem with all these guys having babies is this - they'll look to take to a bigger contract to look after there family.

Come on guys money last's a moment, premiership glory and mateship lasts forever!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4