Looks like where close to signing Shane Rodney for 4 years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From here:
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/persona-non-grata-sharks-wipe-bird-from-club-website/2008/08/27/1219516563633.html

Elsewhere, Penrith are set to lose the fifth member of their 2003 premiership-winning side in the space of months, with back-rower Shane Rodney close to signing with Manly.

The Sea Eagles have offered Rodney a four-year deal - remarkable considering he has played just 16 matches in the past three seasons due to shoulder and neck problems.

Rodney attracted interest from the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra, who both offered three-year deals, but the extra season has swayed the 25-year-old. The deal is believed to be heavily back-ended, with Rodney earning most of his money in the third and fourth years.

We must have an awesome accountant; I want him to do my tax next year :)

Well i hope our great training facilities kick and and make him less injury prone. as with mattia neck & shoulder problems are hard to overcome especially for a forward. but i dont know enough about him to judge, is he a good buy?

Shane Rodney is very average. Another Luke Williamson... awesome, Cuthbo getting chopped again. Fmd Hasler and his boring, average, chump players.

Volley, these chump players have got us to a GF last year, and maybe a minor premiership this year. Remember, Des has a knack of turning reserve graders into board room players.

Shane Rodney was a fixture in The Panthers 2003 premiership squad - and he played very well that year.

This time round, I'll have faith in Des. I doubted Robertson. I doubted Hall. They turned out as guns.

Ryan link said:
Volley, these chump players have got us to a GF last year, and maybe a minor premiership this year. Remember, Des has a knack of turning reserve graders into board room players.

Shane Rodney was a fixture in The Panthers 2003 premiership squad - and he played very well that year.

This time round, I'll have faith in Des. I doubted Robertson. I doubted Hall. They turned out as guns.

Spot on Ryan, Des and Crusher obviously see something in him.

Rodney was very good in 2003/04 but very average since then.  However as Ryan said I have faith in Des.  Also gives us good depth!!!

I am not sure about him but I guess he will be good back up - Is Rodney the one who wears head gear?

I cant understand why we would want him and for 4 years?

Geyer also mentioned there are other players looking to pull out as well from the panthers.

He's played such little football over the last few years that I can't even comment about his ability.
I guess if the dragons and the bulldogs were also willing to sign him for at 3 years he must have something going for him.

I read somewhere that Willo (although signing for 2 years last year) is off to Europe next year.  Is this why we're getting Rodney?  If not then we must have an awesome accountant for sure!  But we're not cheats so i don't worry about the cap and what other jealous people say about it.

As for his ability, he'll be fine.  People went WTF @ Josh Perry since he was average at the Knights and look what he did - gave us extra testicles up front, got back into the Aus squad...super buy he was.

Gee, Penrith are lucky they have some good juniors coming up, there seems to be an exodus going on...

We couldn't sign Pritchard so we signed Shane rodney (or is it rodney shane).

Replacement plodder for Williamson.  fmd they guy has been constantly injured for the past 3 years and is well past his peak.  We need to look towards the toyota cup forwards instead of has beens like Rodney.

Good solid player, nothing flashy.

Would have to be a depth signing as I cant imagine him being on big dollars.

When you look at what we have running around in the reggies any bolstering of depth is a good thing.

A far better option than deadwood etc.

For a four year contract we would get him very cheap because he needs the length of contract insurance given his recent injuries. With Beaver, Jack A and Willo leaving our backrow depth is eroded. If we got him cheap it does no harm to have someone in reserve who has 1st grade experience in addition to the up and comers from U20s. The guy is only 25. This will not be a waste.
There are many pieces of the squad puzzle to fit under the salary cap and having one or two experienced and inexpensive back up forwards is part of that puzzle.

King link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=178261.msg194705#msg194705 date=1219872662]

Spot on Ryan, Des and Crusher obviously see something in him.

[/quote]

Obviously Des and chusher see something in all of our NSW cup players.  Problem is that 90% of them are rubbish and wouldn't make Fg. 

They saw something in Wells but he hasn't been sighted in FG.  Same with Jack A  who is now being released after two very ordinary years. 

The problem with Des is that he doesn't give the young guys a go.  He prefers to use guys like Willo who are past their use by date and drops someone like Cuthbo who at least offers some variety in attack and can take presssure off orford. 

St George and the dogs were after Rodney because they are desperate and no-one else will go to these clubs.  Melbourne were not after Rodney and they are the yardstick. 

My old man used to coach him and I was the trainer back when he was playing under 12's for Rivo. He used to be the kid that we would use to tackle the opposition's best player, for a 12 year old he could tackle like a ****ing demon and would pretty much always make their player stay down. We always knew he would be the one that would make it.

Unfortunately he has his injury issues. A good kid though and very down to earth. Would bring no off field trouble with him thats for sure.

Just another Williamson, personally I dont think we need anymore backrowers next season. We already have G Stewart, Choc, Hall, Cuthbertson, T.Williams, Wells, Hargreaves and Edwards. These guys in my opinion can hold our backrow stocks together for the next 2-3 years.

Yeah, when are they going to stop buying players in when we already have our own product (or guys we've developed since a young age) waiting for a shot.
Nothing against Rodney, from memory he is quite capable, but Wells has to be getting pretty peeved with all this & blokes like Edwards might start looking around.
It's just a bad vibe for the club to give off.

It's like that halfback we've been looking at (not sure about the details). Evans should be the only medium-term consideration for halfback.

Retaining the young talent that we already have MUST be the priority. A great club is not bought.

What's with all the whinging? He has obviously been signed for depth purposes. He was a regular in the brilliant Penrith sides in 03-04 and has only played 16 games over the last 3 seasons due to injury, if he can get the injuries under control he could come good. We have had a decent track record with signings over the last few seasons.

You can't rely on an under 20s team which has not been in the top 8 all year, sure there is some talent in there but not enough to feel safe and not enough that are ready for consistent 1st grade.

Everyone whinged about Robertson, Hall, and some complained about Perry yet they have all been awesome for us. At worst he will play reserve grade on not a lot of money, at best he will kick on and play regular 1st grade. If Wayne Bennett was keen to sign him the I'm sure he has some talent. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6