Look how TV influences the competition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Eagle said:
thankfully im not a complete f***wit

Well actually....

And I cant believe you are nearly 30..OMG :huh::huh: i'd have suspected 17.

And I think you watch enough cricket, your thoughts on that game are well documented :)

The Who said:
Masked Eagle said:
I'm all for TV having a say in the schedule as long as they pay for it. If you do the season in advance you get friday night games like the AFL have this week. St Kilda vs Adelaide. The highest rating night of the week and its an absolute snore fest of a game.

... so, leave it to TV and we get the Sunday match of the round between Easts and Newcastle! With Manly V Illararra not considered as attractive by Channel 9.

Yeah. Channel 9 really know their stuff.

I'm sure CH9 woudl have loved to show the us v the Dragons on Sunday but unfortunately it wasn't their pick. Their strategy is to always have a QLD team on the Friday night game and because we played on the Monday night they can't pick us in their friday night game either. Fox have the next pick and took our game.

Would you have preferred us playing on Monday night then to back up on Friday?

I am sure that CH9 would have picked us for the Sunday game if they could, but the Sunday game is the 4th choice.

Since 9 couldn't select the game for Friday, as we play the previous Monday it left FOX with the game for Monday.

What it's basically done is signed a death warrant for the Central Coast Bears.

Why would the IC (when they eventually get in) allow another NSW team in this market?
They would want to add more to there future tv deals so that will mean W.A Reds, Brisbane 2 in at 2013-14. Ippie and NZ 2 in around 2017

Not only does the TV schedule ensure that Brisbane gets more sponsorship than any other team as they play in the prime Friday night slot or Sunday, it emphasises Nine's inability to pick to blockbusters 5 weeks out.

Fancy Manly and Illawarra on a Monday night; they'd be kicking themselves.

I think, continue to pick the games 6 weeks out but have the NRL do the picks, not the TV stations. Also, get rid of MNF

It is a professional sport these days

If players could not make a living from the game the majority would play other codes. Yes some would play for the love but others would take the $ offered by union / afl

No commercial tv = no nrl

lsz said:

If players could not make a living from the game the majority would play other codes. Yes some would play for the love but others would take the $ offered by union / afl

So, your logic is that RL is not worth watching unless you have well-paid professionals playing it..... and I thought no player was bigger than the game!
Tell your kids that you won't be watching them play any more because they simply aren't good enough. What a sad attitude.
Tell me, did you watch the Indian Premier League because they were professional cricketers? If so, you were one of the very few Australians interested.

The Who said:
The Eagle said:
The Who,theres alot of closet Eagle supporters around :p
Yeah i got a bit carried away there but Nein coverage REALLY pisses me off,id rather the 5:30 saturday timeslot so we get to watch our toyota cup boys....do whatever they decide to do

One of my pet peeves is the fact that the Toyota Cup match finishes 40-minutes or so before first grade, so it discourages people from coming a little early. I know I live in the past but it was so much better when you could watch all three grades play, one after another, without having to watch the players (and the prancing officials) "warm up".
They want you to keep buying their over priced under chilled beer in that 40 minutes..

All 3 grades were good, atleast you get your moneys worth (back then)& the pies use to be boiling hot so was the tea :p (pre drinking days )

The Who said:
lsz said:

So, your logic is that RL is not worth watching unless you have well-paid professionals playing it..... and I thought no player was bigger than the game!
Tell your kids that you won't be watching them play any more because they simply aren't good enough. What a sad attitude.
Tell me, did you watch the Indian Premier League because they were professional cricketers? If so, you were one of the very few Australians interested.

What is the standard like for club rugby in nsw?

How often do you go and watch local league? The same reason that the a league struggles for crowds (they best football is played o/s and the local comp standard is not that great) is what would happen the NRL without TV money

lsz said:
What is the standard like for club rugby in nsw?

How often do you go and watch local league? The same reason that the a league struggles for crowds (they best football is played o/s and the local comp standard is not that great) is what would happen the NRL without TV money

1. Club rugby is televised each Saturday on Channel Two. The standard is quite good, and the matches almost always more entertaining that Test rugby played by professionals.
2. It's not just about standards. I also watch grade cricket where almost all the players are amateurs. I would rather watch this than that professional IPL crap.
3. Agreed, the standard of the NRL would suffer greatly, but my assertion is that it would be the TV networks rushing back tail between their legs to the NRL to televise RL rather than the other way around as they desperately the product. Especially Foxtell, which would lose 70% or more of their subscribers if they didn't show RL.

70% of subscribers are due to NRL?

If the standard of the game is poor then there is no rush to cover it. There is a reason why club rugby is on the ABC - ratings are not a factor

Yes TV loves a high quality product but not a poor one

Gorgeous George said:
eagles2win said:
What it's basically done is signed a death warrant for the Central Coast Bears.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

I just like to laugh at Norffs fans (not Brisbane Norffs either) who claim the Central Coast will be lost forever to soccer or other codes if the Bears aren't allowed in.

There only chance of getting in is if the other love able loser's the Cronulla Sharks (or as they now know as the Cronulla Paul Gallens) are let go of

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6