Look how TV influences the competition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Up to July 29:
• The Broncos will have had 15 Friday night matches yet not one for Newcastle
• The Broncos will have had just 1 Monday night match, yet Melbourne have had five

• Ironically, the three teams worst affected by Monday night football are the three best: Manly (4), Illawarra (4) and Melbourne (5).

Here’s some other statistical anomalies:
• The Titans, Warriors, Penrith (& Brisbane) will only play 1 Monday night match.
• The four best teams get very little Friday night coverage: Melbourne (1), Cowboys (2), Manly (4) and Illawarra (4), compared to ordinary sides Canterbury (8), Titans (8), Parra (7), Souths (7)

It’s yet another reason how TV adds to the uneven playing field (pun intended) of the NRL .

NRLSchedule-R21.jpg

Utility Player said:
As long as they are paying the bills not much can be done about it.

I thought the fans were paying the bills. Without us there would be no RL.
When the new broadcast deal is done why can't the NRL devise the schedule - not the boadcasters? Isn't it done this way in the AFL? That way it would be much more even, with all teams getting a spread of coverage to please their sponsors.

Fro said:
if you believe that i've got this bridge in Sydney i'd like to sell you....

What does that mean? I believe this competition is not fair for several reasons, and one of them is allowing some TV exec to dictate the schedule of teams. It should be left to the governing body who are not supposed to show bias.

it means that anyone who is pumping the amount of money in isnt going to do it for nothing.

if the next TV deal is worth as much as people are hoping for there are going to be plenty of strings attached.

you are 100% correct it isnt fair, but so what, whinging about it is going to do nothing. Brisbane is the 2nd Biggest Rugby League market in the country as far as TV goes, of course they are going to get preferential treatment.

Stop complaining about things which we all know about and have heard about a million times, and celebrate the good things about the year.

We do have a halfway decent team this year you know?

It's the same with all sports. The exception being soccer, which seems to survive on Federal government money. Strange thing that. You'd think Lowy would be asked to put the money up as it's his baby. Anyway all I'd be looking for is a yearly schedule of times and dates to organize my leisure hours.

Captain of the Gate said:
NRL does not exist without TV, pure and simple. When they are the thing paying to keep you alive you give them what they want.

We had a very successful and popular rugby league competition long before TV was even invented. You have it around the wrong way: TV, especially pay TV, needs RL more than the RL needs TV. There are hundreds of thousands of people who play the game away from TV cameras.

The game would live on if it was televised or not, obviously with players getting very little to play.

AFL have just scored a Billion Dollar TV deal, but it does not appear to me that the TV rights holders have much influence on scheduling etc,

Its about expectations and the NRL has allowed the TV networks to have their expectations set too high for too long. The next tender process just needs to re-centre the terms to reflect that wishes & wants come at a cost.

I'm all for TV having a say in the schedule as long as they pay for it. If you do the season in advance you get friday night games like the AFL have this week. St Kilda vs Adelaide. The highest rating night of the week and its an absolute snore fest of a game.

The NRL is not fair in its scheduling of who gets to play when, but that pales into insignificance if you think about who gets to play who. When the Dragons won the Minor Premiership in 09 they only played 8 games against fellow top 8 sides that year, we played 12 or 13 from memory.

The only thing I'd like to see fixed up is a minimum and maximum amount of games on Monday night, but even that these days isn't as much trouble for a club the following week like it has been in previous seasons.

Masked Eagle said:
I'm all for TV having a say in the schedule as long as they pay for it. If you do the season in advance you get friday night games like the AFL have this week. St Kilda vs Adelaide. The highest rating night of the week and its an absolute snore fest of a game.

... so, leave it to TV and we get the Sunday match of the round between Easts and Newcastle! With Manly V Illararra not considered as attractive by Channel 9.

Yeah. Channel 9 really know their stuff.

My thought on Channel NEIN

This f***ing joke of a channel has had a basic monopoly on tv since before i was born (1982),The coverage of such has been very haphazard,in the days before and leading up to foxtel we were just happy to be on the Tele-vision but now thats just not enough,this current team of superstars gets the supersnub from channel NEIN

Double header - F*** you guys its late
Friday night - Oh you little f***ers wish dont you
Sunday night - Dream on,we like showing mediocre team against mediocre team in a showdown of who the f*** is the most **** team in the comp,oh and by the way when you do get your token sunday games guess what f***ers,ITS DELAYED,yes thats right the games half over before we even f***ing kick off

FTA should be thanking its lucky stars it has live coverage rights,instead though they spit on every sport known to man,thankfully im not a complete f***wit so i dont watch AFL but i hear they do a much better job of that so i cant comment on 7 and 10

When i watch footy,i want to see it live,i dont want to see 500,000 ads just because someone kicked the ball into touch

When i watch cricket i want to see every ball Brett Lee or whoever the f*** else is bowling bowls,if i want kfc ill go buy it,i dont want to miss seeing a single ball live

How many of you have been pissed off you missed seeing a wicket live on nine,or missed what happened for brisbane to get the f***ing ball back this time plus when they do show these replays,telling action is definatly in the making such as a manly intercept for a try that you get to see the vision of someone diving across the line for,then watch the full replay while the kicker kicks the goal and miss the ensuing knock-on from the kickoff watching the replay of the kicked goal from 10 metres out right in front

By the way,the naming of this thread is no indication of whats actually happening on field,Brisbane arent leading the comp,they are below us where they should be

Wow... The Eagle; not yet 30 and you've mastered the F-word. Who said grammar was being forgotten on today's youth?
I do, however, support the basic premise of your spray.

The Who,theres alot of closet Eagle supporters around :p
Yeah i got a bit carried away there but Nein coverage REALLY pisses me off,id rather the 5:30 saturday timeslot so we get to watch our toyota cup boys....do whatever they decide to do

The Eagle said:
The Who,theres alot of closet Eagle supporters around :p
Yeah i got a bit carried away there but Nein coverage REALLY pisses me off,id rather the 5:30 saturday timeslot so we get to watch our toyota cup boys....do whatever they decide to do

One of my pet peeves is the fact that the Toyota Cup match finishes 40-minutes or so before first grade, so it discourages people from coming a little early. I know I live in the past but it was so much better when you could watch all three grades play, one after another, without having to watch the players (and the prancing officials) "warm up".

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4