Long Serving Player Allowance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
100K not counted in the salary cap if played 10 years for one club.

Jason King
Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough

These 4 players are all eligble, so that's 400k we have extra to spend over the cap, providing we have the funds.

From the NRL site:

Long Serving Player Allowance introduced to encourage Clubs to retain players who have served a continuous period of 10 years in first grade.

bones said:
I thought it was 200k per club, not per long standing player.

Doesn't specify on the NRL site so I presume it can be as many that are eligible.

Watmough and King debuted when we were known as the Northern Eagles, the NRL consider it a different club. So even though they virtually had the employer they are not recognising those years that they played as the NE.

So I've jumped the gun by a year. All 4 players will become next year because we ditched the bears and came back as a stand alone club (Manly) in 2003.

Having said that if we have a few backended contracts with other players next year then the 400k can go towards those contracts whilst not affecting the 4 above's payments.

bones said:

pretty sure this is correct.
way i interpret is that it is up to the club if you spend it all on one, or split it between multiple players, but im pretty sure the allowance is capped at 200k per club all up.

swoop said:
bones said:

Doesn't specify on the NRL site so I presume it can be as many that are eligible.

So I've jumped the gun by a year. All 4 players will become next year because we ditched the bears and came back as a stand alone club (Manly) in 2003.

And 2013 will be the 11th season since returning. Time flies.

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
bones said:

way i interpret is that it is up to the club if you spend it all on one, or split it between multiple players, but im pretty sure the allowance is capped at 200k per club all up.

Correct.

The Wheel said:
Matai must be getting close as well?
Matai became a sea eagle in 2005 if i recall correctly so 2015 for him.

The Wheel said:
Matai must be getting close as well?
Matai became a sea eagle in 2005 if i recall correctly so 2015 for him.

Why wouldn't Gifty be there with Snake? They both joined the club at the same time!

His debut was later but does that matter?

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
bones said:

In other words, a club who has retained 6 or 7 players for 10 years has no advantage over a club who has only retained 1 decent player - both clubs still have the same amount of money to spend on players. Great rule NRL - really encourages loyalty. Why have it at all?

Does anyone know if there are there special rules around new clubs like the Titans?

On the NRL site it doesn't specify that it for only 2 players:

Long Serving Player Allowance introduced to encourage Clubs to retain players who have served a continuous period of 10 years in first grade.

swoop said:

Watmough and King debuted when we were known as the Northern Eagles, the NRL consider it a different club. So even though they virtually had the employer they are not recognising those years that they played as the NE.

RANT:
That's crap. I know this has been debated before, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but the NE games should be classified as Manly games.
How is the NE any different to St G Ill.
Hypocrisy!!!
Now that the Independent Commission is in and Gallop is gone, hopefully this double standard can be rectified.
RANT OVER.

Here is the deal;

2003 - Long Serving Player Allowance introduced to encourage Clubs to retain players who have served a continuous period of 10 years in first grade. This $100,000 allowance lifted the effective cap to $3.55m [from $3.45m].

2006 - Reduction in qualifying period for veteran players from 10 to 8 years.

2010 - A lift in the salary Cap of $200,000 to $4.3m ($100,000 Increase to the base, $100,000 increase to veteran player allowance [to $200,000 per year]).

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

In effect, the allowance is capped. As many players as a club wants can take advantage of it, but they are sharing the $200,000 per year between them.

Not sure of the Titans situation, but every other club can effectively claim a Salary Cap that is $200,000 above the base rate, as long as they have at least one player that qualifies. Interestingly, the Dogs have nobody in their squad to allow them to claim it.

That's bull****.

10 years is not far off a players full career. 10+ years should ensure that player only has half his salary included in the cap

So unfair for the clubs who get fisted trying to re-sign quality loyal players and a kick in the guts for any player that stays loyal and have an oppurtunity to earn a few extra $$ in his final few years.

Whilst I would love to have all our players get the full allowance I am happy as is. If the shoe was on the other foot I would not be happy. Same goes with big discounts for juniors that I have heard people mention before. That would benefit clubs with big nurseries like Penrith and Parra. I am happy with a level playing field for all clubs.

Garts said:
Whilst I would love to have all our players get the full allowance I am happy as is. If the shoe was on the other foot I would not be happy. Same goes with big discounts for juniors that I have heard people mention before. That would benefit clubs with big nurseries like Penrith and Parra. I am happy with a level playing field for all clubs.

Exactly. Imagine the Broncos 10 years ago being able to put aside $200,000 for every one of their long term players!!!

There may be a tweak that can assist a club with a lot of qualifing players, but in the case of this Sea Eagles group likely having 8 meet the criteria over the next 2 years, it is perhaps unique in NRL history and maybe was an unexpected outcome with a Salary Cap in place.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7