1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lockyer announces retirement at seasons end

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Mark from Brisbane, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,777 / 258
    Not Manly related BUT this just in (my off sider Chris is a Bronco's member and recieved an e-mail announcement)...naturally he'll be there until he surpasses the Beavers (and Terry Lamb's) 349 games and try and take them to the Grand Final in October. There's nothing in the press release re Origin but you have to say he'll play one last series as well.

He has been one of the greats, and will probably become the next Immortal but whilst he's still a clever player he's just a shadow of his former self these days.

It's just a bit sad (in some ways) that by years end he will be the sole record holder (number of games)....I really have liked it that the Beaver and Lamb have been joint holders for 3 years!

2. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I hope he doesn't make it to 349 games, leaving Steve Menzies'record intact.

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    is it too much too ask for a him to miss enough games so beaver can keep the record or is that just nasty

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    We need to organise a season ending injury for him LOL

5. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,469 / 74
    He is a champion player, consistent and consistently good. Hard to fault lockyer he has always been a mature and solid player.

The game could do with more leaders like hime

6. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    I don't like him,mainly because he's a bonko and QLDer,BUT,I do admire his longevity in the game,and the fact that he's a one team player.Wouldn't like to see him seriously hurt,but something minor to keep him off Beaver's (and baa's) record would be nice.Maybe just a form slump,and get dropped from NRL....wishful thinking,I know.

7. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,777 / 258
    I'll second that, but would hate to see him injured so badly that he couldn't complete his last year...despite him being a Bonko, and a Queenslander he's still one of the most gifted players I have ever seen and he deserves to go out in a winning way (except if he's playing Manly in the GF)

8. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    From memory Locky was due to pass Beaver in about round 21.  Finger crossed the Broncos fall in a heap and don't make the finals and Locky get a small hammy twinge which forces him to miss a month.  Will be a close run thing but to be honest I think Beavers record is in trouble.

I know we were focussed on the GF but not enough was made by us and the NRL for him tieing the record.  I can guarantee you that if Locky does break the record there will be a special presentation at the ground with some nice speaches and a nice award handed out.

9. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    So it's ok to wish injury on players now?  Cool.. Can I bring back my Dogkinson thread.

10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,469 / 74
    no it's not bones and I don't know how anyone could say anything bad about Lockyer or wish him any ill, he has been as good for the game as Beaver, and means as much to Queenslanders and Broncos fans as Beaver did to us.

Champion bloke and player, if he breaks the record good on him

11. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    haha depends on the type of injury

12. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    I agree Dan... I like Lockyer and if Beavers record has to be broken I am glad it is by a champion like him rather than scum like Smith or Slater or Dogkinson

13. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,409 / 130
    What he said.

Also very unselfish.

Gave up his No 1 jersey when he was the games best fullback, at Bennetts request, to move to No 6 where he had little to no experience and became the games best 5/8th. All for the good of his team

14. sydsider

sydsider Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    He wants to coach the Donkeys thats why hes stepping down.If it wasnt for that hed be playing till he was 64.

15. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Nah stuff him, he's a dirty Bronco.  16 games to equal the Beaver record, I'll take him getting a significant injury anytime.  

16. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,246 / 7
    Call me biased but in my view Beaver was more of a gentleman and somewhat more of an ornament to the game. But we all know he wont get the same accolades as Lockyer.

17. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
      Exactly!

18. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    From a lot of stuff I have heard, If Lockyer resided in Sydney, you would have heard a lot more about his antics in the newspapers  lol

19. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I've alwasy thought it was a pity that Beaver didn't play another season with us.  I hated Lamb.  He was a real grub on the field.  Lockyer should open a bottle shop.  He could steal from himself then.

20. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    watch the media jizz over this news, I suppose a job on radio & tv won't be any good for him