Liverpool's favourite son, Steven Gerrard re-signs with club until 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
A boner when I woke up, now another one.

Steven Gerrard has followed Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez in pledging his long-term future to the club by signing a new contract.

Team-mate Dirk Kuyt has also agreed a new two-year deal with the club, who last month secured the services of manager Rafael Benitez until 2014.

Gerrard, who turns 29 next month, had two years to run on his previous deal but has now committed to the club until the end of the 2012-13 season, by which time he will be 33 and nearing the end of his career.

"This is fantastic news for the club," Benitez said.

"Steven has once again shown his commitment and it was an easy deal to agree. As soon as we offered him the option he said yes. There were no problems at all. He wants to stay for life.

"This deal sends out another clear message that we are moving forward as a club. To know we have a player of Steven's quality with us for many more years is a great boost for the club and the fans.

"He is clearly a player who inspires those around him and even though he is playing very well at the moment, I still think his best years are ahead of him."

Gerrard's decision to sign a new deal followed last month's announcement that Benitez had committed himself to the Liverpool cause until 2014.

New contracts for most of the Spanish manager's backroom staff have followed and a number of other first-team players, including Jose Reina and Daniel Agger are expected to be presented with new contracts in the coming weeks.

Kuyt's new deal ties him to the club until 2012 and Benitez voiced his delight at securing the services of a player he has converted from being a striker to a right-sided midfielder.

"Dirk had one year left on his contract and we were keen for him to stay,'' he said.

"He is a player with great quality who has a big part to play in our future. To have announced new deals for Steven and Dirk on the same day shows how hard everyone is working and that we are moving forward quickly as a club.''

Gerrard's decision to commit to Liverpoool also comes amid mounting optimism over the club's fortunes on the pitch.

With the England international now being used as a second striker behind Fernando Torres, Benitez's men have been in outsanding form of late.

A victory over Fulham on Saturday would send Liverpool above Manchester United at the top of the Premier League, for 24 hours at least, and last month's thrashing of Real Madrid has established them as one of the favourites to win the Champions League.

Described by Zinedine Zidane as the best player in the world at the moment, Gerrard recently said he would be happy to finish his career at his hometown club.
"I'm really happy at the club at the moment, in fact I have never been happier at any time throughout my career and I would happily sign for life," Gerrard said.

"I am playing in a top team, I am playing with world-class players and I believe that with this manager, going forward, we can be successful."

The announcement of Gerrard's new contract came on the day he appeared in court to deny charges of affray in relation to a nightclub brawl in which in he was allegedly involved.

I hear he tried to leave but his liverpool accent was so strong no one outside of the town could understand that he was asking to join their side. 

please no!

I have long thought that Gerrard is the worlds best captain, maybe not player, but definately captain. Wish England would use him properly.

He is an absolutely terrific player and great news for you Livlupudians hehheh. You guys left it VERY late to get the winner against Fulham, but they all count.

They had Robbie Fowler on the Footy Show Thursday night and he was ranked the 4th greatest ever player for 'Pool. I am sure Gerrard was in the top 3, and rightly so.

As a West Ham supporter I have still not recovered from the cracker he put in from about 65 out in stoppage time in the FA cup final. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5er4piAfI

lol @ 65m ( more like 35, but still awesome).... in the 91 min ... remember clear as day. Alot of ****e went against the pool in that Final, yet Gerrard really did lead them to victory. Set up one goal and scored another in a 3 all draw if i remember correctly.

i totally forgot they played :S

The Gronk link said:
Set up one and scored two actually.  Not that I'm bitter. 

yeah i wanted to say two, but couldn't remember if it was one or two. It must of been 1 in the UEFA CL final in 05

The Gronk link said:
As a West Ham supporter I have still not recovered from the cracker he put in from about 65 out in stoppage time in the FA cup final. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5er4piAfI

looking at that goal again. It has to be the best ever, given the circumstances, the control and the power.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2