1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like father, like sun: storm over for Matai

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    AS THE rain set in on Dee Why Beach this week, it was hard not to chuckle at the irony. Steve Matai, the Manly centre, wants to paint himself as a changed man, rather than a wild man; a good father with a sunny disposition. But then the weather turns wild on him.

Read the full article[hr]
    [​IMG]
    Changed man … Steve Matai with partner Kate and son Isaiah. Photo: Steve Christo

2. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,798 / 122
    Don't change too much... just enough to stay on the field.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Champion one of my favorites...

• Like Like x 1
  4. kurri eagle

kurri eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 1
    need to keep him , love the Matai.

5. Dan79

Dan79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Yesterday's talk was about tiger Lawrence, and him being good, but always out injured. Matai is always injured too, but rarely out. The man has a pretty big heart, may even be made out of steel. I don't know I am not a metallurgist.
    Matai is a player worth keeping.

6. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,534 / 32
    We should tie up the little bloke too.

7. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 192
    What i like most about Matai is that he plays with a lot of passion and this lifts his team mates .

8. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    Yes, I agree Matai is a terrific player, and has a big heart, but it seems he wants a three-year contract. From a club's point of view I think they would rather judge him on a year-to-year basis. We all know he has injury concerns and a poor judiciary record (gained by his noble 'take no prisoners' approach). So, is he a long-term proposition?
    Would you gamble on him for three years? Unfortunately, I wouldn't.
    I'm sure clubs like Easts and Parra would pay much more than us for Matai. I would not think any the less of Steve if he took the cash from another club to help secure his future.
    I think the three-year deal will be the issue if he does leave.

9. ALinda

ALinda Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +979 / 5
    Nice story/photo - thanks BE. Stevie's one of my favourites too. Would hate to lose him and I think if he stays on the field this year (none or minimal injuries/suspensions) will determine his long term future with us.

10. Dan79

Dan79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    I wouldnt have a problem with offering another 3 years. Yes he gets hurt, but plays through it. Anything short of losing a leg he will line up for the next hit up

11. winnyason

winnyason Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +508 / 37
    **** we have some cattle to re sign snake, foran, cherry Evans, matai, ballin, lussick we won't keep them all.

12. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Would i sign him for 3 years? In a heart beat! Would you prefer him playing againt us for 3 years?