Like father, like sun: storm over for Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
AS THE rain set in on Dee Why Beach this week, it was hard not to chuckle at the irony. Steve Matai, the Manly centre, wants to paint himself as a changed man, rather than a wild man; a good father with a sunny disposition. But then the weather turns wild on him.

Read the full article

ipad-art-wide-615347927-300x0.jpg

Changed man … Steve Matai with partner Kate and son Isaiah. Photo: Steve Christo

Yesterday's talk was about tiger Lawrence, and him being good, but always out injured. Matai is always injured too, but rarely out. The man has a pretty big heart, may even be made out of steel. I don't know I am not a metallurgist.
Matai is a player worth keeping.

What i like most about Matai is that he plays with a lot of passion and this lifts his team mates .

Yes, I agree Matai is a terrific player, and has a big heart, but it seems he wants a three-year contract. From a club's point of view I think they would rather judge him on a year-to-year basis. We all know he has injury concerns and a poor judiciary record (gained by his noble 'take no prisoners' approach). So, is he a long-term proposition?
Would you gamble on him for three years? Unfortunately, I wouldn't.
I'm sure clubs like Easts and Parra would pay much more than us for Matai. I would not think any the less of Steve if he took the cash from another club to help secure his future.
I think the three-year deal will be the issue if he does leave.

Nice story/photo - thanks BE. Stevie's one of my favourites too. Would hate to lose him and I think if he stays on the field this year (none or minimal injuries/suspensions) will determine his long term future with us.

The Who said:
Yes, I agree Matai is a terrific player, and has a big heart, but it seems he wants a three-year contract. From a club's point of view I think they would rather judge him on a year-to-year basis. We all know he has injury concerns and a poor judiciary record (gained by his noble 'take no prisoners' approach). So, is he a long-term proposition?
Would you gamble on him for three years? Unfortunately, I wouldn't.
I'm sure clubs like Easts and Parra would pay much more than us for Matai. I would not think any the less of Steve if he took the cash from another club to help secure his future.
I think the three-year deal will be the issue if he does leave.
I wouldnt have a problem with offering another 3 years. Yes he gets hurt, but plays through it. Anything short of losing a leg he will line up for the next hit up

Would i sign him for 3 years? In a heart beat! Would you prefer him playing againt us for 3 years?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6