Leyland Brothers - 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Today we lost a Leyland Brother....mike I believe. I just heard it passing, he was 68.....a sad day...........but inevitably, like the cars they made....he passed on

He had parkinson's disease and was never the same after the Commonwealth bank closed up their theme park on the central coast but not before charging them a 27% interest rate.

Another victim of the Commonwealth bank.

Leyland Brothers World

In November 1990 the Leyland Brothers opened the theme park Leyland Brothers World, on a 40.35ha property at Bundabah on the Pacific Highway north of Newcastle, New South Wales. It included a 1/40 scale replica of Uluru, as well as amusement rides, playground, roadhouse, museum and a 144 student capacity bush camp.

In a 1997 article in the Sunday Age, Mike Leyland said that the initial AU$1 million loan blew out due to rain during construction and a 27% interest rate. In July 1992 Chris Palmer of BDO Nelson was appointed receiver and manager of the park when the Leyland Brothers company failed to meet its loan commitment to the Commonwealth Bank.

Auctioneers Colliers Jardine estimated the yearly attendance of the park to be about 400,000 people, with 10,000 students for the bush camp. After an auction held by the receiver on November 26, 1992 the theme park was sold for $800,000, with the buyer planning to upgrade the roadhouse that served motorists and truck drivers. The brothers went bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Brothers

You really hate tge CBS don't you? Lets face it the banks are all the same

Dan link said:
You really hate tge CBS don't you? Lets face it the banks are all the same

All Bank's are wankers as they have have bought up most of the oppostion and can now screw everyone to the wall while emptying their wallets.  

I also knew someone involved with the Leyland brothers when the Bank was giving them grief in the early nineties.  Not many business' could survive 27% interest rates.

KF - you sound like a disgruntled ex exployee with an axe to grind??

If they paid their loans off like everyone else they wouldnt have been subject to bankruptcy.  Unfortunately they should have stuck to making TV shows and not developing & running theme parks.  They made their own decisions and were probably were not astute businessmen - you cant blame a bank for that.

I remember the leyland brothers fondly when i was growing up.  Didn't think much of their car though.

I just thought that I would throw a hook and some bait out as I knew that i would catch at least one Bank defender amongst the group.

The rain really killed their project because it put it nearly 12 months behind schedule.  Very similar problems to when norths built Central coast stadium. 

Rain killed off both icons. 

I know a person who got fined by Rangers at the Rock a few weeks because they took a photo of somewhere they shouldnt have

If they Leyland brothers still had their theme park you could climb and take as many photos of it as you need to. 

They were obviously ahead of their time and should have waited until they banned climbing the real rock.

kingyfan link said:
If they Leyland brothers still had their theme park you could climb and take as many photos of it as you need to. 

They were obviously ahead of their time and should have waited until they banned climbing the real rock.

you can still climb the leyland rock - just make sure you outrun the security guard.

Kingyfan, when did the central coast move its boundaries to the other side of the hunter river?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4