Let's talk about six

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
The Manly Daily can confirm the Sea Eagles have approached Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis about a possible move to the northern beaches.

Beavis has lodged an application with Wigan for Barrett to formally gain a release from the final year of his three-season deal in England.

The release is expected with the former Test star being pursued by up to five NRL clubs.

"It was an informal call, an inquiry," Beavis said yesterday when asked if Manly have contacted him about his No.1 client.

"They were flagging interest to see if and when he should become available.

"We'll sit down and talk to everyone in time."

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said it was standard practise for his staff to contact player agents about players.

"The recruitment team wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't inquire about all off contract players," he said.

"There's a number of irons in the fire and it's fair to say that all the players we are talking about would do a good job in the maroon and white of the Sea Eagles."

Mayer refused to speculate on prospective players.

It is understood the Sea Eagles are circling Knights utility Chris Bailey and young Titans half Josh Lewis. Cowboys backrower and part-time five-eighth Justin Smith has also expressed interest in joining Manly.

Barrett's signature would end a 10-season search for a regular No. 6 following the retirement of Manly great Cliff Lyons.

The Sea Eagles have used 20 pivots since Lyons retired in 1999.

"They would be mad if they didn't," Lyons said last month when asked if Manly should pursue Barrett.

"He's got good vision, speed and strength and would be a good signing."

In on-field Sea Eagles news, winger Michael Bani (ankle) will join teammates Anthony Watmough (foot) and Jason King (ankle) on the sideline for Sunday's round nine clash with the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, David Williams, Steven Bell and Sean Meaney are all options to take over from Bani on the wing.

Utility Steve Menzies (hamstring), fullback Brett Stewart (calf) and prop Mark Bryant (knee) are all very hopeful of playing the Broncos.
Club officials yesterday said Watmough is still a couple of weeks away, while King is out for two months after fracturing his ankle in the win over the Bulldogs two weeks ago.

Country second-rower Glenn Stewart came through his representative debut unscathed and will front-up against Brisbane.

"Barrett's signature would end a 10-season search for a regular No. 6 following the retirement of Manly great Cliff Lyons"

That doesn't make sense in a way- surely he'd only be a short term (1-2yr) signing so then we'd be back hunting for another 6 thus adding to the 10 season search?

eggson link said:
\"Barrett's signature would end a 10-season search for a regular No. 6 following the retirement of Manly great Cliff Lyons\"

That doesn't make sense in a way- surely he'd only be a short term (1-2yr) signing so then we'd be back hunting for another 6 thus adding to the 10 season search?

Gives the Foran boys time to develop. They's be 20 & 22 I think then

If I was to rank the importance of chasing the above mentioned players it would go

1. Barrett
2. Bailey
3. Lewis
4. Smith

I bet all we get is Smith

I'm over this 5/8 thing, get Smith cheap for a year and develop our own.  Barrett, no, no, no.  He'd be overpriced and he's just not that good.  As the playmaker at the Dragons when they had a good squad he couldn't get them the money.  We'd be stuck with two egos at the scrum base which would be deadly. 

Dan asking people to lay off Byso is like asking an alchoholic to stay off the grog!!!! :) :) :) :)

It is all in jest - we love Byso - some great calls there too!!! ;D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4