Let's revisit The Des Departure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is how I remember it.....

We win the 2011 premiership.
The next day rumours start that Des may be off to the Dogs.
A day later Des is off to the dogs. As is Crusher and half the coaching staff.
The club then decide that with a year still to run on his contract, Des can coach Manly in 2012.
Rumours then start that he'll take half the Manly squad with him to Belmore.
The club then decide that Des is too much of a risk to have at the club in 2012 as he might actually be able to entice key players (Snake, Foran etc) to go with him.
Des is sacked as Manly coach and replaced by Tooves.

Is that close enough without going over the price?

I can't imagine Penn leaping at the opportunity to pay Barrett out for 2 years .... just get $6oo,ooo (?) and throw it away.

Des was also keenly aware that the heavily weighted back-end contracts that allowed us to build and keep a great team were about to come back to bite us. That was worth it, but a few lean years were ahead.

After a stand-off about control and spending, a free rein at bulldogs and a cheque book would have been an attractive alternative.

PS (how come Des is the only coach that gets involved and has knowledge of his salary cap? Bellamy and the Dalai apparently have no idea and don't get involved)

I just hope we get the the Barrett led group out ASAP like tomorrow morning, and get the Hasler led group in ASAP like tomorrow afternoon. I have heard a number of my fellow Sea Eagles suggest that Barrett be given another year? While their reasoning is fair minded, allow me to say this; Barrett has no idea on strategy, fails to inspire and is totally lost. Hanging on to him and his staff for another year will only provide us with more disappointment. If I am wrong, we hang onto him and make the finals, I will donate $1000 to a Sea Eagles supported charity. Personally, I think my money is safe.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Penn leaping at the opportunity to pay Barrett out for 2 years .... just get $6oo,ooo (?) and throw it away.
You may be right there. On the flip side, I saw Penn at our 08 GF win carrying the trophy around ANZ. His ego and desire for success may over rule having to pay out Barrett. The other thing he may do is pull a Warriors on McFadden, and demote Barrett without sacking him, negating a pay out. Force his hand out that way.

Because, according to some, they've already had a meeting. I'm wondering because I have that inquisitive mind and I love history as background. Please feel free to ignore the thread, feathered friend. It's really just for my interest. @;)
Wait, did you say Hasler and manly have had a meeting? Or are you just pointing out that the dogs have had a meeting regarding Hasler

You may be right there. On the flip side, I saw Penn at our 08 GF win carrying the trophy around ANZ. His ego and desire for success may over rule having to pay out Barrett. The other thing he may do is pull a Warriors on McFadden, and demote Barrett without sacking him, negating a pay out. Force his hand out that way.

That would depend entirely on the terms of Barrett's contract and Penn thinking that Des is guaranteed to deliver .... the fact he didn't at the dogs and is being pushed out the door, you believe will be conveniently overlooked.

That would depend entirely on the terms of Barrett's contract and Penn thinking that Des is guaranteed to deliver .... the fact he didn't at the dogs and is being pushed out the door, you believe will be conveniently overlooked.
Yes...however, the bulldogs played finals every year of Hasler's tender. His supposed lack of success is subjective. And lets look at one of his most vocal critics, Terry Lamb...we all know his coaching record.

Yes...however, the bulldogs played finals every year of Hasler's tender. His supposed lack of success is subjective. And lets look at one of his most vocal critics, Terry Lamb...we all know his coaching record.

No, if you want to look at his most vocal critics, go on the dogs forum and you will read countless posts saying exactly the same things you are saying about Barrett, no game plan, hopeless etc etc but they add out of touch, stuck in the past etc etc.

I don't think they are justified just as I don't think the hatred of Barrett is justified (yet)

No, if you want to look at his most vocal critics, go on the dogs forum and you will read countless posts saying exactly the same things you are saying about Barrett, no game plan, hopeless etc etc but they add out of touch, stuck in the past etc etc.

I don't think they are justified just as I don't think the hatred of Barrett is justified (yet)
Lamb is quoted in the media, the dogs supporters are not, the latter views count for little in the news cycle. I don't hate Trent Barrett, he seems like a calm and decent person. I am just of the opinion that he is a poor coach, and I have always thought that too. Des Hasler is super impressive, finals every year since 05. If that is stuck in the past, I will take it.

Here you are @Manly@capital

http://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/bulldogs-in-crisis-club-great-steve-mortimer-says-he’ll-quit-if-des-hasler-gets-contract-extension.103793/

Post 17 is a well measured one ... sound familiar.

"The 2 clubs that Des has coached at has seen there boards turn into absolute ****. **** off you ****"
Gee, the opinions of foul mouthes is so profound...who cares what they think? He delivers the GFs and finals...they are brain dead.

Gee, the opinions of foul mouthes is so profound...who cares what they think? He delivers the GFs and finals...they are brain dead.

Now that is one statement I agree with.

The particular thread that I referred you to was in reponse to Steve (Turvey) Mortimer coming out today and saying he would quit the Bulldogs Board if Des was re-hired.

So, not just the punters.

Sorry to do this but does this sound familiar?

"Mortimer has played in 6 grand finals, won 4.
Used to win games on his own.
I know who I'd be backing.
A true bulldog & all time great
**** HASLER"

Last one .... promise.

Now that is one statement I agree with.

The particular thread that I referred you to was in reponse to Steve (Turvey) Mortimer coming out today and saying he would quit the Bulldogs Board if Des was re-hired.

So, not just the punters.
Has Mortimer ever coached? He was actually forced out as chairman of the bulldogs. His ability and business acumen is questionable, Des Hasler's coaching record speaks for itself.

Sorry to do this but does this sound familiar?

"Mortimer has played in 6 grand finals, won 4.
Used to win games on his own.
I know who I'd be backing.
A true bulldog & all time great
**** HASLER"

Last one .... promise.
Hasler too is a grand final winner, as both a player and coach, represented his state and country. Des played multiple positions and with Noel Cleal, picked us up when we were nearly dead on the floor.

Has Mortimer ever coached? He was actually forced out as chairman of the bulldogs. His ability and business acumen is questionable, Des Hasler's coaching record speaks for itself.

I agree, but it does show that as fans our perceptions of reality can be skewed horribly by our expectations.

My expectations last year were 6-8. When the early injury count mounted and we progressively lost Snake and Matai and had a different spine each week I started to think 11th would be a ambitious.

If you had told me at the beginning of the year Snake would have a shocker and Matai gone I would never have thought the 8 possible.

Hasler too is a grand final winner, as both a player and coach, represented his state and country. Des played multiple positions and with Noel Cleal, picked us up when we were nearly dead on the floor.

Mate, you are preaching to the converted, I agree, I am simply quoting the views of some Bulldogs, and showing how they mirror some of the views of our own fans in relation to our coach. And NO, I am not comparing coaches.

At the end of the day I doubt Des will be back any time soon.
I can't see Scotty being too keen to stump up the amount of coin required to keep des happy. Or bozo and Des, two control freaks, working side by side.
Plus paying out the current coaches contracts.
I reckon they'll give Trent this year and see what happens.
If our win loss is in deficit after the 1st half a dozen games though things might change.
Just can't see Des coming back in the current environment and I reckon Saints will sign him anyway.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2