Legends are remembered for being one club men

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

doc

Reserve Grader
The vast majority of champions are remembered for being with the one club for most if not all of their career.
To name some of the halves from the the modern era as examples;

* Andrew Johns - Newcastle
* Allan Langer - Brisbane
* Peter Sterling - Parramatta
* Brett Kenny - Parramatta
* Steve Mortimer - Canterbury
* Terry Lamb - Canterbury
* Geoff Toovey - Manly
* Cliff Lyons - Manly
* Des Hasler - Manly
All unforgettable!

For those who move around, they often lose their stigma. Either because the clubs they go to are not as successful consistently or you lose track for who they really stand for. An identity is lost.

I'll never forget Dale Shearer's later regret for leaving Manly to go to the Gold Coast. He was simply brilliant, poised to be a legend if he had another 5+ years in a Manly jersey, then it all changed.

Brett Stewart will be rewarded as one of the famous players for being a successful Manly fullback for so long. Stewart or Eadie? The best ever fullback for the club? Brilliance is one component, longevity at one place is the other.

I really hope both Kieran and Daly, who have established themselves at a young age at Manly see the current and future satisfaction that awaits if they see it through in the Maroon and White.

To be fair terry lamb was at Wests, Cliffy North syd and Des Penrith
And they're not remembered for their short stints at those clubs.... It's their long stint at one club that makes the difference.
Bob Fulton also played at Easts at the end of his career but he was remembered/identified as a Manly legend due to his longevity.

To be fair terry lamb was at Wests, Cliffy North syd and Des Penrith

True, but ask most footy fans and they'll say Lamb was a dog, Cliffy is a Manly legend and Des a very good Manly player.
Cliffy's 20 odd games at the Bears v over 300 at Manly is something we can overlook as the Bears were never on TV.
Ditto with Des at the Panthers and Wests.
Lamb was an established first grader and Dally M winner when he went to to the Dogs but is regarded as one of their best ever and in their team of the century or whatever.

absolutely!
And my point exactly. If Beaver had played for 3 or 4 different clubs in the NRL he wouldn't be remembered as fondly.

Both DCE and Foz have the potential to break into the media post football.

They are well spoken young men. Most media personalities, coincidence or not, are also associated with particular clubs. Sterling, Vautin, Joey, Chief.

Watmough, unfortunately for him, is not blessed with intelligence or the personality to be in front of the camera.

DCE and Foz should look at Tom Juric from the Socceroos. Offered 10,000,000 for 3 years to go to China, he turned it down because at his age, it wasn't the best career move. He'll take much less to move to a strong European club where his skills will improve. Cahill, on the other hand (at 35) is smart to take to the big cash.

Let's hope they're being given IMPARTIAL advice. Don't listen to your managers boys. The only pocket they care about is their own.

The vast majority of champions are remembered for being with the one club for most if not all of their career.
To name some of the halves from the the modern era as examples;

* Andrew Johns - Newcastle
* Allan Langer - Brisbane
* Peter Sterling - Parramatta
* Brett Kenny - Parramatta
* Steve Mortimer - Canterbury
* Terry Lamb - Canterbury
* Geoff Toovey - Manly
* Cliff Lyons - Manly
* Des Hasler - Manly
All unforgettable!

For those who move around, they often lose their stigma. Either because the clubs they go to are not as successful consistently or you lose track for who they really stand for. An identity is lost.

I'll never forget Dale Shearer's later regret for leaving Manly to go to the Gold Coast. He was simply brilliant, poised to be a legend if he had another 5+ years in a Manly jersey, then it all changed.

Brett Stewart will be rewarded as one of the famous players for being a successful Manly fullback for so long. Stewart or Eadie? The best ever fullback for the club? Brilliance is one component, longevity at one place is the other.

I really hope both Kieran and Daly, who have established themselves at a young age at Manly see the current and future satisfaction that awaits if they see it through in the Maroon and White.
Darren Lockyer was pretty handy also.

This was different times though. Some of those players played before salary cap, and there was a testimonial year if long serving players stayed. Whatever players missed out on possibly signing elsewhere they would make at cash supplemnting events known as the testimonial year. Players would be paraded, honoured and showered with cash often making more that there last years contract again. It was not only prestigous but lucrative.

Where does this leave Jamie Lyon? The best centre in the world!
Killer will be remembered as a Manly great. By the time he retires he will have played for us for 10 years (maybe more?) and be around the 240 game mark. This compares well to other Manly greats like Bozo & Randall.

I think the point could also be made that players are best remembered for where they are most successful.

DE is 25, lets say he has another 7 - 9 years left in him. If he were to leave to go to another club, say the titans (a stretch but go with me here) and had sustained success over a long period of time (including dominating State Of O, multiple premierships) you could conceive that his time at Manly would become an afterthought and he would be associated at that club

lsz please give up, for your own sanity.

there is absolutely no place for well thought out and reasoned argument, or more accurately...... facts.

Please stick to innuendo, bias and conspiracy theory, you will fit in better and your time here will be less stressful :)

• 👍
Reactions: lsz

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7