Legend Cliff Lyons keen to return in coaching capacity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
God Loves Manly - Cliffy wants back in

Manly legend Cliff Lyons keen to return in coaching capacity
October 27, 2013
Adrian Proszenko

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-legend-cliff-lyons-keen-to-return-in-coaching-capacity-20131026-2w8eh.html#ixzz2irWWfRnc

Manly legend Cliff Lyons wants to reprise his scrum-base partnership with Geoff Toovey by taking on the assistant coaching role vacated by Brad Arthur.

The Sea Eagles are on the lookout for another clipboard holder to support head coach Geoff Toovey after Arthur quit to take up the top job at arch-rivals Parramatta.

It is understood Lyons:angel: is on a shortlist which includes former Manly and New Zealand international Tony Iro :s, who was a caretaker coach at the Warriors at the end of last season, and Hull Kingston Rovers coach Craig Sandercock. Former Sea Eagles assistant Matt Parish, who was an assistant under Ricky Stuart at Parramatta last season, is also in the frame:s. Lyons, who played over 300 games for the maroon and whites, said he was keen to contribute again to the grand finalists.

''I'd love to help out the club as much as I can and keep my foot in the door there,'' Lyons said. ''It's something I'd relish and the opportunity that's there is an exciting one. I hope they consider me. I've been thinking about it a lot and, fingers crossed, hopefully they give me an opportunity. That's all I'm asking.''

The former NSW and Australia pivot said he briefly broached the subject with Toovey, who will make a final decision when he returns from a brief holiday. ''I ran into Toovs in Narrabeen last weekend and I mentioned I'd be interested. Obviously it's a big decision to make and, hopefully, he can take one of the locals in.''

Manly already have Andrew Johns on their coaching team and the addition of Lyons would be a boost to gun playmakers Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran. Lyons is not new to coaching, having led the Narraweena Hawks to back-to-back premierships in the Manly A-grade competition.

The 52-year-old also coached the Sea Eagles' NSW Cup side. ''I learnt heaps doing those things, it was a great experience,'' he said.

Regardless of whether he gets the nod, Lyons will have a more hands-on role next year. He has recently been appointed a board member of the Manly-Warringah District Rugby League Football Club after Peter Peters vacated his board seat. The role will not affect his chances of getting the coaching job.

''I am pleased to be back on the board with these guys,'' Lyon said. ''This board has done a good job. They have supported Dave Perry's administration and that has paid off by the Sea Eagles making a profit. They've supported Tooves as coach.''
----------------------------------------------------

Matt Parrish was on the nose with the Senior Players as he was seen to over play his role as assistant - hope he keeps on going, away from Manly :dodgy:

Tony Iro was a useless Player and I would not be happy to have him back at Brookie :dodgy:

Having Cliffy around the place even lifts the Fans - so many wonderful memories include the little Master :angel:

RE: God Loves Manly - Cliffy wants back in

All speculation I reckon, as much as I love Cliffy I am not sure how he would go as a coach in the NRL - he didn't set the world on fire as the NSW Cup coach a few years (but who has for that matter) and it is huge jump from Narraweena to NRL.

Sandercock for mine. He's a former manly junior rep coach

Manly legend Cliff Lyons wants to reprise his scrum-base partnership with Geoff Toovey by taking on the assistant coaching role vacated by Brad Arthur.
The Sea Eagles are on the lookout for another clipboard holder to support head coach Geoff Toovey after Arthur quit to take up the top job at arch-rivals Parramatta.

Read More

The Sea Eagles are on the lookout for another c
epp-lyons.jpg
lipboard holder to support head coach Geoff Toovey after Arthur quit to take up the top job at arch-rivals Parramatta.

It is understood Lyons is on a shortlist which includes former Manly and New Zealand international Tony Iro, who was a caretaker coach at the Warriors at the end of last season, and Hull Kingston Rovers coach Craig Sandercock. Former Sea Eagles assistant Matt Parish, who was an assistant under Ricky Stuart at Parramatta last season, is also in the frame.

Lyons, who played over 300 games for the maroon and whites, said he was keen to contribute again to the grand finalists.
''I'd love to help out the club as much as I can and keep my foot in the door there,'' Lyons said. ''It's something I'd relish and the opportunity that's there is an exciting one. I hope they consider me. I've been thinking about it a lot and, fingers crossed, hopefully they give me an opportunity. That's all I'm asking.''

The former NSW and Australia pivot said he briefly broached the subject with Toovey, who will make a final decision when he returns from a brief holiday. ''I ran into Toovs in Narrabeen last weekend and I mentioned I'd be interested. Obviously it's a big decision to make and, hopefully, he can take one of the locals in.''

Manly already have Andrew Johns on their coaching team and the addition of Lyons would be a boost to gun playmakers Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran. Lyons is not new to coaching, having led the Narraweena Hawks to back-to-back premierships in the Manly A-grade competition.

The 52-year-old also coached the Sea Eagles' NSW Cup side. ''I learnt heaps doing those things, it was a great experience,'' he said.

Regardless of whether he gets the nod, Lyons will have a more hands-on role next year. He has recently been appointed a board member of the Manly-Warringah District Rugby League Football Club after Peter Peters vacated his board seat. The role will not affect his chances of getting the coaching job.

''I am pleased to be back on the board with these guys,'' Lyon said. ''This board has done a good job. They have supported Dave Perry's administration and that has paid off by the Sea Eagles making a profit. They've supported Tooves as coach.''

Meanwhile, Jeff Lima's future at Redfern is clouded after Super League side Catalans Dragons made a lucrative play for the premiership-winning prop. The Rabbitohs have already experienced a big turnover of talent which may prompt them to stand firm.

In other news, NRL club chief executives will meet with officials on Friday to discuss a raft of issues.

The ARL Commission is considering allowing clubs to become affiliated with both NSW and Queensland Cup teams in a bid to increase the profile of both those competitions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-legend-cliff-lyons-keen-to-return-in-coaching-capacity-20131026-2w8eh.html#ixzz2iruQEThO

I'm not close enough to the camp to know whether this would be a good idea. Cliffy is one of my all-time favourites but somehow I associate him with a different era. Which could be unfair, as he was a contemporary of Hasler and Toovey, and they can both coach.

Cliffy did not do well with the NSW cup team.
From what I can gather from the role it more involves working with the forwards and defence.
Would be good to bring Sandercock back to the fold.
Parish would also be ok. Would be a humble return of sorts.

Well of course God loves Manly because Cliffy is God and he's one of us.
As for the coaching my reservations re. Cliffy would be that we would three incredibly talented ex-halves leading us. Would we score 300 tries but let in 400, or are there separate forwards coaches in place?
Matt Parish - do we keep playing swapsies with parra? I don't think this is a good move unless he comes back with his electric eel tail between his legs, zapping him in important places so that he shows more respect to Tooves and the Manly men.
I hope there's a way to include Cliffy in some sort of role in the coaching team but I'm not sure about assistant coach.
If we could include Beaver in some coaching capacity also, this would be beyond awesome for the spirit of the club and fans.
I don't know much about Sandercock. If chosen, hopefully he has the goods.
Good luck Geoff. In Tooves we trust.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
"I hope they consider me. I've been thinking about it a lot and, fingers crossed, hopefully they give me an opportunity. That's all I'm asking.''
On reflection, this public pleading for a chance doesn't come across very well. Sounds a little too desperate and puts extra pressure on his ole mate Tooves and the club to look after him. No way will Toovey choose him unless he believes he's the right man for the job.

I'm biased because Sandercock was my Geography teacher. He's a pretty good coach and I think would be good to have in the coaching ranks

Jono said:
I'm biased because Sandercock was my Geography teacher. He's a pretty good coach and I think would be good to have in the coaching ranks
Being a geography teacher he should be able to tell players where they need to be on the field.;)

niccipops said:
Jono said:
Being a geography teacher he should be able to tell players where they need to be on the field.;)

Or where to go.

I'm not real keen on Parish coming back - he left to take up another assistant coaching role it wasn't like he left to be a head coach. Not that it should be personal I know...but I'd be in favour of giving somebody else a go.

Love Cliffy... but generally if you have to put yourself in the paper as a candidate....then your not really a candidate.

Cliffy was interviewed in relationship to his stepping in to fill the vacant MWRLFC Board seat. He is the last person to put himself in the limelight. The coaching question was merely answered by him. :angel:

Tooves will pick the person who fills a need by the Team, and who will commit to more than one year :cool:
These past two seasons would have given him a better idea of where he needs input.

Beaver has already stated that he doesn't want to Coach. The return of Parrish would be a retrograde step IMO. Kitey alluded to his overstepping of his position in a couple of interviews already :dodgy:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8