1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leagues toughest men

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by TerryRandall, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,076 / 38
    Good to see a few manly men mentioned in the tele article on leagues toughest - Geoff Toovey, David Gillespie, Mark Carroll, Mal Reilly and of course the toughest of all, Terry Randall. Even Solomon Haumono got a mention from Shane Webcke. I reckon if we had one real tough enforcer type in the forwards this year we would just about win it. I dont think the dragons like the rough stuff too much. I still think Kite is our x-factor this year - if he gets back to 2008 finals form, look out.

2. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    We've missed kitey. But not the crabbing!

3. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Yeah cool,Kite is coming back,we have our other halfback back soon
    woot....

• Like Like x 1
  4. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    Surely Fozzy is getting up there now in terms of toughness.

5. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,076 / 38
    Not sure its a good look to have a 5/8 and a centre as your toughest hombres. Need a forward to step up.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Shane Rodney is pretty tough for a man made out of glass.

Watmough is fairly tough in the 'will hit you so hard your grandmother gets a concussion' kind of way. Matty Ballin is very tough as well, I think he'd play on one leg if he had to.

Gift is another who's toughness is underrated, nothing seems to keep him down.

7. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,281 / 44
    We certainly don't have anyone in the current pack to rival Igor, Cement, Reilly or Spud. I'd even throw Rambo into that list.

Things are sad when your pack enforcer is King.

8. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    If we can get the aggro pills into T-Rex he could become our semi final enforcer.

9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,080 / 284
    Lussick seems pretty tough for two games.
    Robinsons play has seemed to "slow" a little.

10. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,792 / 122
    You guys are poor judges. It is King, he is the man this year.[hr]

11. Jerry1

Jerry1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,461 / 80
    Yep 100% right

12. silvertail

silvertail Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 6
    T-Rex and an every improving Lussick will do me just fine for semis in 2011.

13. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    King has had 1 top game this year

14. Ian Martin tragic

Ian Martin tragic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    We have monstered other teams several times this year. It's not called the 'pack' for nothing. one tough dude can be the pack leader, but we have ripped into some other packs and dominated in several games with the guys we have. If most stay healthy we have enough firepower up front to do the business . Making it all the way to gf day with our squad will be hard of course (which is still why I'd like to see another experienced prop in the squad somewhere).

15. Georgie-O

Georgie-O New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Kingy was great against the Dragons, his best effort of the year. We need more of the side returning after the bye!

16. Ian Martin tragic

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    Just had a look at that phil rothfield article. not a bad 20. Igor and no 1 no doubt. disagree with the rankings somewhat.

Mal Reilly needed to be way way up that list. I remember watching a game as a kid once close the touchline in front of the main grandstand. Can't remember the opposition. reilly was playing prop I think (he did a bit more of that later on at manly ). He scored one of his up and under and regather himself tries (the guy had skill coming out his ears). But my memory is of the intimidation he created. He was like a tiger when he ran the ball up. he looked at the opposing players and kind of growled at them all as he came (and you were just as likely to cop one of his elbows trying to tackle him as you would when he tackled you). I had a distinct sense of the fear coming out of the opposing forwards.

Ron Hilditch? And hildich way in front of Ray Price? price was a grub and something else cambo says we can't say anymore, but the guy was tough as; just look at his head!

steve kneen also should be way up that list. Igor and he had some serious battles over the years.

where is mark geyer (almost the only time I can say I've ever seen a manly side look mentally dominated, looking for somewhere to sit down, was when penrith beat us at brookie the year they won the comp, with the pack led by geyer)? and dallas donnelly?

Les davidson probably closer to the top also. There was a test match in the 80s where the kiwis knocked australia off (graeme lowe-coached I think). at half-time oz were well behind and playing rubbish. nothing much changed in the 2nd half except les davidson took on the entire kiwi pack. It was truly awesome. It was all wally lewis talked about in the post-match interview on the field; he was like 'We were rubbish, but did you see les davidson out there!? if only the rest of us could have played like that...'

17. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,525 / 32
    Vince Karalius was pretty tough by all reports

18. Ian Martin tragic

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    never saw karalius play except there's a bit of footage on youtube somewhere of his last ever game.

he gets sent off for stomping on a guy. some of the tough guys in the 20 probably also borderline sociopaths. just look at the profile pics in the article for steve kneen, les davidson. scary.

there's a good interview somewhere with igor where he's talking about his career and the war to stamp out the illegal thuggery in the 80s. he got sent off in that infamous brawl started by newtown in the 81 finals match for kicking (got a lengthy sentence). In the interview he's reflecting on how it got all a bit too much (yes, Igor!) and cost him the last part of his career.

bring back the biff website has alot of stuff on this, with some good interviews and anecdotes and links to fights and big hits etc. Read a great interview on there with john lurch o'neil about the defection from souths of him and the others to manly and then elsewhere. he said after the 1971 gf they won against the dragons that souths had a celebration at their leagues club. The players were allowed to sit downstairs in the main cafeteria and got plates of sandwiches, while upstairs the board members had a full nosh up with free booze etc..... So if you want to blame someone for the souths exodus look no further than the fatcats who were living off the players.

19. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    From all reports made other "tough guy's" blush like school girls

*Apologies to school girls

Apparently league players hadn't played until they had a fight with Vince.[hr]
    Here's another Geoff Robinson.

Another Les Boyd aka "the Baby Face Assassin" or did they see him as a thug.
    Most of the player's in the Kangaroo's tour that he was on said Australia wouldn't have gone through undefeated without Les and his physicality

Ian Roberts another one seen him put Garrry Jack's nose 10 foot across his face not to mention he did the same to a French bloke as well

20. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,792 / 122
    Years ago there was also a pommie called Cliff Watson, may not have been the toughest of all but he was probably the most scary looking lol.

Here's a pic of him paying his respects to Zorba in the '73 grand final.

[​IMG]