League v union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Nah, not an off season debate (though some I'm sure are masters of it..)
but a 1 off hybrid game coming up apparently.

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/208329.html

The Wallabies have agreed to play the Great Britain rugby league team in a $10 million hybrid-game at Wembley Stadium next year.

As reported by Rugby Gold, London's most famous football venue has been booked for December 6, a week after the final game of the Wallabies' 2014 spring tour. The game will pit the likes of Israel Folau and Quade Cooper against the Burgess brothers, Gareth Widdop and Sam Tomkins in front of an anticipated full house of more than 90,000 fans. All up, organisers are expecting to raise $20 million through gates, corporate sales, TV, sponsorship and merchandise.

Dumb idea, both games have their followers and are enthralled by the differences.

When do League Players ever get a break ?
The wear and tear on their bodies is the greatest in any code of Football :angel:

If you wanted to make the Wallabies great again you would leave the forwards as they are and pick the Australian league back line.

No way this match should be played. The ARU is broke. Let RU in Australia die. Then the NRL would have the money and power to fund the English RL.

Silly idea. It has been tried and failed.
Union is far too technical for league forwards to master. They would get penalised in every scrum, maul, lineout, and ruck. That's more a criticism of union than league.
Imagine the potential injury consequence of a proper union scrum again a league 'scrum'.

Brissie Kid said:
No way this match should be played. The ARU is broke. Let RU in Australia die. Then the NRL would have the money and power to fund the English RL.
I don't think so, AFL & soccer will fill the vacuum. There are many people like myself who follow both Union & League but you're not going to get too many die hard Union supporters suddenly jump ship to League if the professional Union teams in Australia ceased to exist.

Silly concept. Union is dead on the ground here, kids dont play it, and its only propped up by the super franchises. The NRL should make a concerted push into South Africa after setting up a Pacific Islands franchise based in Figi and a franchise in Perth. That would kill off union.

DSM5 said:
Silly concept. Union is dead on the ground here, kids dont play it, and its only propped up by the super franchises. The NRL should make a concerted push into South Africa after setting up a Pacific Islands franchise based in Figi and a franchise in Perth. That would kill off union.

The Super franchises make little or no money. Like many pro sports Union is propped up by it's media deals. Still plenty of kids playing grass roots rugby in Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra & to a lesser extent Perth & Melbourne, so don't know where you are getting your "kids don't play it" info e.g. Junior clubs on the Northern Beaches - Allambie Jets, Collaroy Cougars, Dee Why, Forest, Harbord Harlequins, Manly Roos, Narrabeen, Newport Juniors, Pittwater, Seaforth Raiders, Terrey Hills Juniors, Wakehurst.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6