1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawrence now king of the beep test

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 7, 2014.

By Jethro on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM
  1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    THERE has been a changing of the guard with the time- honoured, energy-sucking annual summer beep test at the Manly Sea Eagles.

It has always been the domain of super-fit hooker Matt Bal[​IMG]lin. However, he has finally been pipped in the contest by prop Brenton Lawrence.

Both players topped the 13 mark for the 20m stop/start torture test against the clock.

Manly's fitness guru Donny Singe was full of admiration for the pair.

"For men of their size and bulk to achieve such a standard is a testimony to their fitness," he said.

"Matt Ballin has made the contest boring over the years, so it was great to see him matched by Brenton."

WELCOME BACK WILL

HE WAS the success story of 2011 and after two years away from the game serving on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, brilliant local product Will Hopoate is back in rugby league.

He will make a sentimental return to Brookvale Oval in new colours in a few weeks in the Manly v Parramatta trial.

His appearance against his old club, where he had great success, will attract massive media attention.

TERRIFIC TAUFUA

LOOK for powerhouse winger Jorge Taufua to be even more explosive this year.

Taufua has been throwing weights around like they are cotton buds and has increased his speed since last year's grand final defeat to the Roosters.

He has been impressive in training since his return from the World Cup.

Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/lawrence-now-king-of-the-beep-test/story-fngr8iii-1226820838700

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Jethro, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +1,897 / 7
      THERE has been a changing of the guard with the time- honoured, energy-sucking annual summer beep test at the Manly Sea Eagles.

Read More

2. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +6,792 / 122
      Jorge didn't win the beep test but he can throw cotton buds the furthest.

3. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +3,307 / 51
      Lawro is our number 1 prop, the challenge will be come origin time if hes picked for Queensland, how are we going to cover his loss. I would love to see the club sign one more prop before the season starts.

4. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +5,516 / 50
      Beep test? Does that mean he owes the most $ to the swear jar?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +2,694 / 27
      Seriously what a talent, and isn't he also the fastest over 40m?

6. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +7,776 / 58
      13 is amazing to get on a beep test. I would've thought....oh I dunno...a BACK to be the best.

Get off the cave man diet wolfie if yer too slow!

Luckily for me, I've never done a beep test, only witness the torture that is said test.

I wonder what level within the 13 they got. 13.1, 13.2, etc. (13.13 is the highest)

7. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
      +990 / 7
      Hey GE, the test isn't about speed. It's cardiovascular. And in theory, it can go as high as you want. But considering BJs stats mean he's done about 140 shuttles and covered almost 3kms in 15mins of start/stop action, there won't be many that can exceed that in professional sport.

8. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +4,564 / 45
      For those unsure about a beep test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQvAJ43H8Ls

9. globaleagle

Ratings:
      +7,776 / 58
      I dunno...I tested your theory out by simply walking a beep test...and I didn't get too far!

:p

I've only heard of them going up to level 21!

Maybe they're tougher in Aust!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
      +990 / 7
      :D

To clarify, it isn't necessarily the fastest that will go longest in the beep test. They may finish the early shuttles quicker, but that's not what it's about.

Maybe records in the test will slowly creep up over time as the next freak steps it up.

• Like Like x 1
    11. globaleagle

Ratings:
      +7,776 / 58
      yeeeeees..... I knew what you meant....but the alchomolhol in my system made me be a pumpkin head!

:angel:

12. Jethro

Ratings:
      +1,897 / 7
      I think I just saw a picture of you:

[​IMG]

13. globaleagle

Ratings:
      +7,776 / 58
      Pfffft, as if I'd wear that tie!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member