Laughing after Losing??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not sinking the boot in while down - in fact will go on record to support Manly regardless of getting flogged every week...but a thing I don't accept, is players basically as the full time siren blows - laughing along with opposition players after every loss.
Its been like this ALL season & gives a "we don't care attitude" that is hard to defend.
Involved in rugby league for over 30 years & can appreciate good sportsmanship - in fact - after every game regardless of a tough game - bring my own boys up to shake hands respectfully with the opposition & even a pat on the back...the 3 cheers...respect basically.
My point is watch the competitors in winning teams - Thurston , Graham, Gallen, Parker, the Lockyers & Johns - always respectful with great games man ship - but always looked like they were hurting after getting beaten & this translated to that EXTRA effort on the field - may seem like a picky topic, but for mine - this represents a major problem & contribution to performance & results during game time.

Win lose or draw, Beaver laughed after every game. Even as captain of a well beaten side. I don't know. I can't really complain too much about it. There's not a lot more that they can do I guess. I'm sure they're not thrilled with the loss, but if a smiling raiders player came up to one of our blokes last night and said, "Holy sh1t! I thought you were going to get us there at the end", I could forgive our blokes for having a quick laugh and shaking hands.

Some people laugh when embarrassed. Some people laugh when scared. Some people laugh when angry.

I think I'd more upset if our blokes sat down, defeated, broke out in boils and started crying.

Good on you @maxta for the way you're bringing up your boys! Every sport the country wide could use more parents like you. :)

Shake hands and get off, sit down shut up and cop it if need be. Do whatever if you win

don't mind so much when the put in a big effort as long as they don't look like they didn't give a **** about losing .... the effort from most was much improved last night ... Api definitely adds some spark

I certainly don't want players sulking or crying after a game - though a GF is fair game....just seem to be to very light hearted immediately after the siren.
I do also realise & agree that people in general laugh at various times - a best mate of mine laughs at things he finds scary, sad ect....I guess what I'm saying here is a different issue - some players seem to be accepting defeat easier than those who were part of a dominant Manly patch just a few years ago.
Like or hate Watmough, Stewart, Foran & similar competitors of that period, even if they had time to chat , smile with opposition after a loss, the body language was of disappointment & I honestly don't see much of that now - maybe I'm over critical here but just how I see it.....
Almost like the defeat means very little or this is how it often appears.
Agree with you Moz regarding Beaver, who was a rare breed & also had the luxury at being involved in a golden era where very few times 5 losses in a row - in fact during the Northern Eagles days when losing became the thing, even the Beaver looked p***ed off....often more despondant & distant than the successful Manly losses where he knew next week they would use it as ammo to ambush the opposition.

Last edited:
White line fever. As soon as the hooter goes it's over. Sports psychology dictates that you can't change the past and once the action is over you need to turn the page, not stay stuck on it. You can be effected by your performance but the score does not matter. Point in case is Brisbane defending a lead when they should not be worried about the score but playing footy and playing to win.

Crying over a loss or a dropped catch won't change it and it probably won't improve your chances next time, it just builds a more emotional memory of the experience.

Agree fully with you @maxta.

I just think with the amount of islander boys and their cheery nature now days is probably the root cause of this.

However, players in elite comps should hurt after losing. That's what makes them elite and others with the same skill levels not.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4