Lack of metres from dummy half

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
One of the key things missing from our game ATM is the lack of cheap metres we make from dummy half.

If you cast your mind back a few years we had the likes of Tafua, Matai, Hoppa, Buhrer all getting in there and getting the cheap metres. They seem to have done away with it to an extent and its putting a lot of pressure o. Our depleted forward pack.

Did you watch the same game?

Their second marker stood about 3 meters from the Rick and moved out early, which made it impossible to run and eat meters.

This desire for run and crash footy is horrible, horrible. Ballin is one of the most skillful hookers to hit the field.

I will admit today, he was way off, throwing wild passes and all but still one of the top hookers in the gane

Ballin is tough and hard but to call him one of the most skilful hookers is simply wrong.In the red zone he never threatens at all at this stage of his career.If the club want to play him as an eighty minute option till the end of 2017 in a team that is not full of superstars like the last decade then they truly have no idea.i think many on here,in these times of turncoats and bad attitude,are confusing loyalty with ability.We need some creativity around his hardness in a big hurry.

Brett stewart is a great player but his kick returns are terrible these days. He only made 18 meters for the whole match. It meant we had to work our way out of the 10.

It is a good point, Our back 3 are not giving us that kick start every set and getting early metres to get that roll on. I would like to see some variety on the bench as we seem so one dimensional at times.

Tom T did provide us with that good start and Hiku can too, we really miss Matais metres when hes not playing. I think the last 2 weeks have highlighted how much and with now Gutho as cover we are very thin down our left side defence.

Ballin has showed glimpses of being a good runner but he just cannot do that as well as all the tackling for 80 minutes.

This is why I want to see Hodges come and split the loading, 55 minutes top notch Ballin + 25 minutes of Hodges would be a better mix. It would also make things harder for opposition coaches to come up with a 1 plan fits all.

Ballin is really solid defensively and has a pretty crisp passing game. However there is not much in the way of a running game or kicking game. That means we give up a lot of ground on the other top teams in terms of attacking weapons, not too big a deal when all our other weapons were firing but next year it'll be a different story.

Really need to look at options in this area.

All the problems highlighted above stem from the same issue.

Our forwards are simply not good enough. We are missing Watmoughs metres so much. Other teams must be laughing when they play us, no need to worry about get crunched by our defence.

The ruck seems much tighter and we have more go forward when Jake T. Is on the field. I think Starling will help once he returns, but he isn't a big metre gainer.

Bring back Gifty.

Gifty and choc combined are making less than 100m per game this year. They wouldn't change a thing. When the going is tough in the first half gifty is averaging 20m.

Gifty and choc combined are making less than 100m per game this year. They wouldn't change a thing. When the going is tough in the first half gifty is averaging 20m.
At least they are not getting rolled over like our poor defensive pack

He plays a completely different role and is not required to eat up metres...calculate the amount of metres he makes for the players around him by attracting defenders and putting others into space.

Ballin is tough and hard but to call him one of the most skilful hookers is simply wrong.In the red zone he never threatens at all at this stage of his career.If the club want to play him as an eighty minute option till the end of 2017 in a team that is not full of superstars like the last decade then they truly have no idea.i think many on here,in these times of turncoats and bad attitude,are confusing loyalty with ability.We need some creativity around his hardness in a big hurry.
Ive been saying it all along, give Hodges a go. Ballin lacks pace to make metres, creativity to create overlaps, and ball skills to assist line breaks. He has hardly got a side step. Id rather have a better attacker than waste the position on a tackling machine who just passes out of dummy half.

Brett stewart is a great player but his kick returns are terrible these days. He only made 18 meters for the whole match. It meant we had to work our way out of the 10.
Yeh, kick returns he doesnt try to break the line anymore. Still can score and support but He just doesnt have the desire to put his body on the line anymore. You can see it in his defence when he gives up on the chase. He's more interested in making DCE look bad.

Our problem is at the ruck on both sides of the ball. In defence our guys are too slow to their feet and not putting pressure on the first receiver and allowing opposition to make easy metres and putting the rest of the line under pressure. In attack we are getting dominated and allowing their defensive line time to get set and move forward which is drastically cutting into the time we have for our playmakers and the metres our forwards should be making. The best thing though is that this isn't a talent issue, our problem is either attitude or lack of fitness.

Yeh, kick returns he doesnt try to break the line anymore. Still can score and support but He just doesnt have the desire to put his body on the line anymore. You can see it in his defence when he gives up on the chase. He's more interested in making DCE look bad.

Snake has never really been a good kick returner, let alone a great one. Its just not the strength of his game.

Ballin is really solid defensively and has a pretty crisp passing game. However there is not much in the way of a running game or kicking game. That means we give up a lot of ground on the other top teams in terms of attacking weapons, not too big a deal when all our other weapons were firing but next year it'll be a different story.

Really need to look at options in this area.
Yeah I'm wondering whether 2 more years was a good move. Many dummy halves run a bit and engage the defence before passing. Matty either passes straight away standing still, or burrows forward with no intention of passing. It's not working and compared to the raiders there was no zip from dummy half. Matt's job has probably been to get the ball to our million dollar halves quickly to give them time. But they are going at half speed, especially foran, who was predictable and pedestrian the last 2 weeks. A few times we have looked interesting with Matt at 2nd receiver in the oppo red zone. Canberra read this easily though and shut him down ball and all. If Canberra can shut it down we are in trouble. We look out of ideas. New tactics are required urgently.

Honestly I dont think dummy half metres are the problem here - Ballin is providing the same service he did to the premiership winning teams.
I think it just comes down to the structure in attack. Against both Canberra and St George the players were crowding the line and plays were breaking down. It almost looks like Toovey is trying to play the game like the Bulldogs there are too many forwards in the line and the speed is breaking down.
There needs to be forwards running on to well timed passes and doing hit ups. What happened to that art?. Cronulla demonstrated that kind of football superbly yesterday.
At the moment Manly are looking like an under 10's team.
NYEagle

Yeah I'm wondering whether 2 more years was a good move. Many dummy halves run a bit and engage the defence before passing. Matty either passes straight away standing still, or burrows forward with no intention of passing. It's not working and compared to the raiders there was no zip from dummy half. Matt's job has probably been to get the ball to our million dollar halves quickly to give them time. But they are going at half speed, especially foran, who was predictable and pedestrian the last 2 weeks. A few times we have looked interesting with Matt at 2nd receiver in the oppo red zone. Canberra read this easily though and shut him down ball and all. If Canberra can shut it down we are in trouble. We look out of ideas. New tactics are required urgently.

Here's one for you @Shoe1 How do you think Jayden Hodges would go in the 6?

About the only real flaw in Ballin's game as a hooker is that he's not overly quick and thus is not the best dummy half runner. But he's not there to be able to run like an Isaac Luke. He's there to provide a service to the team, to get them clean passes. Granted that Saturday wasn't his best game and he did throw some bad passes. But how often does he do that? I can't remember too many times since his debut in 2007.

Dummy half running is actually where Tooves excelled when he played hooker. He was just about the best dummy half runner I've seen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6