Lack of attacking fluidity?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
W

Welbinho

Hi all, first time poster long time reader. Thought it was about time i signed up and offered my opinion. So here we go!

On the back of last night's mediocre performance, along with many others over the past season, i wonder if anybody else has taken note of how unimaginative we've been in the oppositions half? Feels as though it's been a constant for a season and a half now. Do all the hard work to get to the defensive line only to come up short with painfully predictable set plays. Not to mention that there are 11 other teams who better us point scoring wise...

I don't know whether teams have become better on the line defenders, or we're just lacking imagination?

We are lacking a couple of big props that can bend the line back like souths, rooster and bulldogs have. This creates more space for our attack than we currently have and would allow them to go forward instead of across field.

Our attack is now as impotent as that of Illawarra-George.
No imagination, no flair, no courage to try things for fear of making a mistake. We rely on getting field position and then putting up a bomb. One problem with that is that catching cross kicks is not our wingers' strengths.

The Who said:
No imagination, no flair, no courage to try things for fear of making a mistake. We rely on getting field position and then putting up a bomb. One problem with that is that catching cross kicks is not our wingers' strengths.

I agree with this, it is also very very similar to Brisbane who have almost no creative attack.

IT'S A COACHING ISSUE!!!!!!!!

Ralphie said:
The Who said:

I agree with this, it is also very very similar to Brisbane who have almost no creative attack.

IT'S A COACHING ISSUE!!!!!!!!

So, who will tell Joey that his services are no longer required?

The weird thing is, the 1st 20 against the Warriors, we were great with the ball, best we have looked for a long time in attack

So it is there somewhere, why it disappeared again so quick I don't know.

Confidence is a funny thing, it may just take a couple of bits of arse and all of a sudden it clicks back into gear, that could be a bit simplistic but who knows

Last night if Brett catches that ball he dropped, and Buhrer planted the ball, we were looking at a halftime lead and that may have been all we needed to get the confidence up

I have noticed a lot of flat passing lately & not that deep back line passing there was in 2011.
Matai & Lyon are not running onto the pass from deep but they are getting the ball from a stand still & not coming onto the pass with speed & momentum.
Brent Kite should stick to being a front rower & not continually get in the way of the attacking raids in which he slows the movement of the ball thinking he is a half or five eight.

We might also be lacking one very quick outside back or back rower whom has that X factor in attack eg Beaver, T-Rex, Crusher or a younger Choc. Someone that makes the opposition uncomfortable, nervous or even put fear in defenses. DCE & Foran look around & don't see that X Factor lately.

Fluffy said:
Give Chisolm and Seage a run instead of DCE and Foran, that should solve it.

If only we still had Wooden and Winter to show some of these other pretenders how it's done

Regardless to what ppl see as THE problem with the attack stems back to the ruck area.
Mitch nailed the result of this issue in another thread.
Basically the attack is flatter due to not playing direct with consistent 1 out hittups & a lack of support = easy target = dominated in the tackle = slow play the ball = when ball shifted wide runners are flat= crabbing sideways.

Solution = Fowards need support when doing the hard yards instead of 1 out = 4 defenders dont charge at the predictable attacker like a bull at a red flag.
Having bodies in motion minimises the number of tacklers involved = keeping the defence guessing making poor decisions & reads = opposition defence backpeddling = time & space for the world class backline to carve up the opposition.

1. Glenn has to change his game and start to be a right edge ballrunner rather than looking to create opportunities outside him. This will keep the opposition defence guessing thus allowing more space for Jamie and Wolf.
2. Ballin needs a 10-15 minute break with Buhrer on at dummy half, preferably on either side of the half time break. In the middle stage of the game it is noticeable that our ruck speed is slower and we need a spark.
All is not lost, we are still in 4th spot and have lost a few games to the top teams by small margins and had a draw with the scum on their own turf. Our next 6 weeks will determine whether we will be contenders or just making up numbers in the 8. All are winnable games, and we should be aiming for at least 5 wins.

• 👍
Reactions: mbe
Maybe if we wanted fluidity we would have retained Drinkwater. Or tried to get Tim Molten.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7