Knights players futures

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain of the Gate

Reserve Grader
Various NRL sources and now publications are stating which players are in what shape for playing for the Knights next year. I thought some people might be interested based on the contacts I have and what media are saying

Staying/Still under contract:
Kurt Gidley, Neville Costigan, Richie Fa'aoso, Beau Henry, Chris Houston, James McManus, Jarrod Mullen, Ben Rogers, Juniour Sa'u, Mark Taufua, Dan Tolar, Ervarn Tuimavave, Akuila Uate

Being shopped to other clubs:
Isaac De Gois, Matt Hilder, Marvin Karawana, Antonio Kaufusi, Con Mika, Shannon McDonnell, Cory Paterson, Steve Southern, Zeb Ta'ia

Off contract but unconfirmed:
Cameron Ciraldo, Keith Lulia, Wes & Kevin Naiqama

Retiring:
Adam McDougall

Incoming/Rumoured incoming:
Darius Boyd, Danny Buderus, Trent Merrin, Kade Snowden,

From that list there is two names that I really like. I've always like Paterson as an impact forward, but think he is more suited to 2nd row than Prop so that being said I don't have a spot for him in Manly.
The one I would be really interested in is Matt Hilder if they let him go. i think he has been dynamic out of the dummy half and think he could be a great foil for Ballin if he needs a rest, and if not then he makes a very good 2nd rower. We could play him in a similar fashion to how Melbourne use Hinchcliffe.
I know a ot of people would jump to say De Gois but I've never been a fan. I think he is the most predictable hooker in the NRL based on 1 thing, he plants his feet to early. You never get the feeling of danger cause he sets his feet very early and any decent defense of the last few years reads this and can tell down to 1 or 2 attackers who is getting the ball.
Outside of that no one takes my fancy to join our group. A lot of error prone forwards being offered up, which fits Bennetts style to a tee to let these guys loose. Must say I ws surprised they are trying to offload Wes Naiqama he has been great for them this year.

Next year:-

08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Liam Higgins
15. George Rose
16. Tim Robinson
17. Shane Rodney

Depth: Harrison, Cunningham, Mauro

I don't watch Newcastle much but I though Zeb Taia played well against us and is a prop (isn't he?) which is where we are a little short of backup.

What are they doing with Mark Taufua?

Bloke hits like runaway freight train and would add more intimidation to our pack

Same as last year for us. Make sure we keep what we've got.
Looks like we might need to concentrate on a new 20's squad more than anything. Reggies are young & will come good & first grade is sweet, maybe bring in a couple more of the young blokes

Has Joe g confirmed what's he's doing? I think with another year under his belt, Mauro will be bigger and stronger

There are a few there that I think would be worth picking up on a cheap contract particularly if they are desperate for a club

If they are not good enough for Bennett then why would we pick them up?

Rule no 1 - don't sign anyone that bennett or Bellyache don't want.

tookey said:

Well said Tookey. I still don't think we need much change to our pack. A big hitting prop but thats about it.

tookey said:

Matt Ballin....... Bennett told him to give it away!

No doubt about Patterson - type of player that could go from hot & cold to rep status under Des who has turned far less players into winners. Has that quality you can tell has never fully been unearthed.

On first look I'd sign none of them. Paterson was woeful against manly this year, and his team really needed someone to step-up with the injuries they got. I remember his stats for that day being poor. Maybe DES could get him going though, you never know. I'd rather secure buhrer and Joe though first, and Robinson and Harrison.

is that kaufusi ex-storm unit???
if he is he wouldn`t be too bad ..stones just using him wrong.. he can play structured play he did under bellamy if its him & he went alright.. I reckon Des could get the same out of him..

it would be the 2nd kaufusi we had ole Mal back stabbed us after we paid his visa...:argue:
he didnt last long @ tigers ..

he could almost be our 2nd george rose off the bench after dessie is finished with him..

but like most Islanders they let you down with their ball handling occaisionlly..

I'd be unloading Matt Cross, T Seu Seu, G Rose, T Rex. Pick up Kaufusi. Re sign /upgrade those that are off contract. Wolf, Buhrer etc

Isn't Paterson contracted to the Knights for another year? So if we pick him up they'd have to pay him that. Could pick him up on the cheap

Antonio Kaufusi was one of the top props a few years ago before he suffered a bad knee injury. Turns 28 next year and never really reached his full potential. If we got him for the right price he could prove to be great value, especially if Des can help him reach his full potential.

eagles2win said:
Isn't Paterson contracted to the Knights for another year? So if we pick him up they'd have to pay him that. Could pick him up on the cheap

It`s 2 `TT` :p
i dont rate him i would rather houston i dont care what his past is, i like his involvement wish he was free..

eagles2win said:

He's being released so we wouldn't have to pick up any of this paypacket as he will be getting paid out.

I don't mind him, I think he's got potential but I'm not going to bag the club for not chasing him if we don't.

Ryan said:
Next year:-

08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Liam Higgins
15. George Rose
16. Tim Robinson
17. Shane Rodney

Depth: Harrison, Cunningham, Mauro

Changed your opinion a bit on Harrison have you? I remember disagreeing with several posters at the start of the year who had Harrison in our side and well infront of Buhrer before a ball was kicked.

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8