1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kicking for touch

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Boofhead, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Boofhead

Boofhead Active Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Can you still use a place kick to kick for touch after a penalty? Could be a good option for Steve Matai, has a long kick and can find touch without trying.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,642 / 74
    I reckon he could kick a penalty goal from half way easy.

3. Average bull

Average bull Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Who used to do that ? Was it Ross Conlin ? ( spelling )

4. Boofhead

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    I think Mick Cronin did it for a while didn't he?

5. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 10
    Matai had a kickoff at Shark Park one year hit the crossbar on the full & went through the posts. So that shows he could kick a goal from halfway.

6. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,648 / 66
    Matty Ridge did it in the 90's as well

7. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,571 / 45
    Rosco did a couple of those from memory.

8. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    I've seen DCE do some rippas just plain kicking them.

9. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Matai should take over the in goal dropouts :idea:

Imagine the length he would get, especially against Parra, with all that emotion being channeled to his kicking foot :D

10. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +653 / 6
    we need someone who can kick it to near the half way line regularly.
    its like we still have ox taking the drop outs

11. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    Could. be handy. Ok, so its the GF. 2 mins to go. Score 18 all. Manly vs Storm. Manly get a penalty 48 mtrs out in the middle of the field through a shameful B Slater indiscretion. Who takes the shot ?

12. Boofhead

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    The shameful indiscretion by Slater was on Matai who has to leave the field. Beaver comes on to replace him in his return to Manly on a $5.00 contract. Choc sees that Cam Smith has his back turned, takes a quick tap and tramples over the top of Smith. The cover defence is swarming so he basketball passes to Beaver who fires a flat ball out to Jorge and he is off down the wing. Grub is coming in to take out Jorge with a flying Karate kick but Jorge fires a perfect no look pass to Beaver who strolls over to score under the posts! Brent Kite converts as the full time siren sounds.

(I was going to have Joe G slot the conversion with his good leg but thought that might have been too much).

13. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    A mate of mine kicked one from in his own half to down Qld in the early 60s or late 50s.

Bronc Jones.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Since the drop-punt has replaced the torpedo punt there's no accuracy benefit in a place kick. They drop-punt goals from outside 50 metres regularly in Aussie rules, so no benefit in distance either. Could be a way to tick down the clock?

15. The Indian

The Indian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 9
    Yeah I remember Ross Conlon doing it - at Balmain when they were running into a strong wind & just wanted to waste time.

When snake took a drop out against the Cowboys I nearly fell off my chair - thought that had snapped hammy written all over it. Good sign he is feeling OK again I guess.

16. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 7
    Just an aside, did Andrew Walker use torpedoes for distance when kicking for touch. Apologies if I've got that wrong, but it was one of the few highlights during the early 00's, watching him make massive metres with his kicks for touch when we were awarded a penalty. Pretty much guaranteed a set starting in the attacking half.

On the AFL, the 50+ metre goals with drop punts are generally on the run. Most having a genuine crack at goal from on, or just outside the 50metre mark from a free kick, will use the torpedo.

17. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    HH, I still think its a small percentage would actually use a torp in the AFL outside of 50m as a set shot. Its used more these days in kick ins from a point more than anything else to try and get over the top of a zone.

Back on league and in particular the Sea Eagles, DCE's kicking for touch is exceptional. I would say he is the games no 1 atm for that particular skill.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Torpedos' aerodynamics are useful for high bombs, for distance and for skidding. Just difficult to get the accuracy right.