Just desserts for Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Just desserts for Ballin

By David Riccio | October 12, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24481624-5006066,00.html

GRAND final tryscorer Matt Ballin will have to put his booming business as a personal trainer on hold until at least 2012.

The Manly rake will next week sign a new deal with the Sea Eagles - a deserved reward for saving the club from a hooker crisis following the departure of last year's key playmaker Michael Monaghan.

"He had massive pressure on his shoulders,'' Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said of Ballin.

"Obviously the club came under a fair bit of heat from fans when Monaghan left last year.

"It was a credit to the coaching staff who had unbelievable confidence in Matt coming through.''

With a growing client list, Ballin works four days a week as a personal trainer. He rises at 5am for work before training with his Manly teammates.

Following the Sea Eagles' premiership success, Ballin has hired a helper to cater for the growing demand.

Mayer said Ballin's off-field juggling act was one of the keys to his success.

"His business has actually expanded a fair bit,'' Mayer said.

"I think he wants to find the balance to do both.

"He's a smart kid, he obviously knows that he can't keep playing forever.

"But he also loves playing footy. I tend to think he's just trying to get the balance right.''

A member of the Brisbane Broncos development program, Ballin debuted for the Sea Eagles in 2007. Mayer said Ballin's lethal combination with former Roosters hooker Heath L'Estrange _ who is contracted until the end of 2009 - would go a long way to ensuring the club's future success on the field.

"I think that balance that Des has come up with Matt and Heath L'Estrange is a reason for our success,'' he said.

"Our 2009 season is certainly going to be very good. Obviously we've lost five players, but Des is always about progression planning and he's got some good kids coming up as well.

"The coach just has to finalise a couple of things with Matt and it (contract) will be done.

"It hasn't been the easiest week to catch up with him, but I can't imagine that it's going to be too far away.''

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6