Just a mid-season slump

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
I think Manly are just in a mid season slump and lack some motivation, hence the poor form of late. I know as a fan I feel in a bit of a trough myself - I switched that Penrith game off just after half time. Plus Cronulla are winning games, clear signs of a slump.

I think it is a result of what is a long season, and all of these stupid distractions that disrupt the flow of the seaon as well. The state of Origin series, which has no Manly players in it half the time anyway, and the bye weeks. Plus the signing of players mid season. Its just messed up the rhythm. Once State of origin 3 is over, focus will be on the run home and we will see a motivated team ahead.

From what I saw in the games against the Warriors, Melbourne, Saints and the first half of North Qld this is a very very strong team that will give the premiership a shake with an ounce of luck.

The bye couldn't come at a better time for Manly to sit and assess whats ahead. We obviously need Jamie Lyon back and Tony Williams needs a good talking to about motivation and field positioning. Other than that, we'll be right. I think Foran will light up again when the forwards find their go forward again and hogko will be Orford like solid but with a kicking game. A nice 20 point win oer the Faiders first week back will put some love back in our hearts and off we go.

So dust yourself off kids, 8-7 is a good place to be and we will run a strong 3rd or 4th this year.

I could'nt agree more NYEagle. When they've wanted the prize (ie. Melbourne and Dragons) they have taken it. Plus the back line running against the Dragons was some of the best ive seen from Manly in a long long time.

So our poor second halves, what are they then? We haven't closed out a second half all season, except for the dragons and cronulla (but everyone beats cronulla, well except the cowgirls)

If numbers 1 , 6 , 7 and 9 are the key to a footy team then manly have done remarkably well to be where they are, No stewie, no ox, new foran and hodko to these positions. Matty Ballin is the only constant and while i wouldn't swap matty for any hooker in the comp he is a solid player rather than a playmaker. Normally that's great but with everyone else learning there trade a bit flashier would be nice now, but cool long term.None of this could have been forseen or avoided with possibly the exception of the ox contract negotiations.

A factor that may have been handled better is contract negotiations. I'm not a player so i don't know exactly how distracting it is on the field but all contract negotiations seem to be drawn out way too much. With perry, choc, Lyon, hodko, foran and mattai all in seemingly endless talks over the last 6 months or so i wonder what impact that has had on the side.Something just doesn't smell good about how we handle this

Manly have had a dream run really with injuries for about 3 seasons compared to most sides and the toll in 2010 looks like it is catching up with them. Rep footy has been different this year too. Manly have definitely been under the radar for some seasons now when it comes to rep footy but have had a much larger representation this year. Funnily enough though manlys best performance this year against the red V with 9 backing up was there best game.

I see the second half fade outs mainly due to the lack of experience in our gamemakers. There ability to close a game down is a concern . They have ability but still struggle to come up with calming plays

XXXXXXX factor, all teams need one. Manlys is Rosie and choc. Rose has been injured and choc well down on form and involvement.He is playing like a man who has just signed a lucrative long term contract. Some of the reports earlier this season about him wanting the captaincy sounded crazy. he is not captain material at all. But if he got his nose out of joint about that as it was insinuated at the time, that is a worry. Realistically he was dreaming

Manlys ball handling has been great this year and i believe this is a definate game plan. I think, especially with the loss of Ox manly have employed a fairly conservative game plan and this conservative thinking is also a factor in the fade outs. Manly look like they are playing for statistics at times rather than as a team

Manly plan is to grind out the game but the players effort is just not supporting this for the full 80 minutes.

Considering this I'm happy with how manly are travelling, I've said it all year. People who expect manly to win every game and every comp are about as realistice as choc and the captaincy. Manly have been in just about every game this year except for penrith so they will be battle hardened when the finals come around at least

Kingy, kite, ballin, rodney, foran, lyon , mattai and farrer have been outstanding though and gorgeous will be joining them soon

I have to agree. This is a slump and also a bit of bad luck. Any team missing 3 players with the calibre of Lyon, wolfie and Stewy are going to find things difficult. 

We need to remember that only a few weeks ago we had 9 players playing rep footy, so we obviously have the talent. I am confident that when Lyon gets back, our confidence will return and we will be back on track. I would rather have this slump now than in late August or worse, September.

I beleive that friday was a good wake up call and the players will respond in 2 weeks against Canberra.

As I have said a few times, all sides baring Saints and Penrith have had lulls in their form

Tigers lost 5 in a row at 1 point
Bronco's couldn't win a game
Titans have lost 4 of last 6
Souths lost plenty early on

Just got to hope our's doesn't last too long

People keep going on about injuries,and no Brett,no Wolf,etc.If the GF comes around,and Manly are in it (big if ATM),the team that we have available,is the team that will have to play.I know that sounds obvious,but,all teams have to get by with stopgap players.They have to aim up,or the team loses.I think we have to think more worse case scenario with Chocs groin,Jamie's ankle,which may or may not last the season (and obviously no Brett and Wolf).The guys running around at the moment will be the guys to take the field in a GF,and have to get up to required fitness and standard.

Imo we can not compete against the top sides without Jamie Lyon we will be able to beat some of the lesser lights but without Killer and the experience and confidence he brings to our backline we can't match the big guns.

Utility Player link said:
Imo we can not compete against the top sides without Jamie Lyon we will be able to beat some of the lesser lights but without Killer and the experience and confidence he brings to our backline we can't match the big guns.

I agree 100%. We need a number 7 or 6 that can also lead our team around the park. As it is ATM we are ****ed big time without Lyon.

We definately need Lyon back. He is our leader and provides the spark that we are missing. We have the team to win the comp with Lyon, but do we have the attitude? That is the question. The Cowboys have probably a better team than us on paper, but look where they are. There attitude is crape. Saints don't have individual superstars, but as a team they are very good, why? because there attitude is what wins them games.

jjai link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=183777.msg270213#msg270213 date=1277630367]
I like the optimism. Personally, I think we're f**ked.
.. 2nd that...
[/quote]

Best we just chuck in the towel now then eh?...

Times like this I generally get out the old "You'll never walk alone" CD, dust myself off and then get behind the team to hopefully support them out of the slump..but each to their own I guess...

vidmar link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183777.msg270414#msg270414 date=1277704211]
.. 2nd that...
[/quote]

Times like this I generally get out the old "You'll never walk alone" CD, dust myself off and then get behind the team to hopefully support them out of the slump..but each to their own I guess...
[/quote]..lol vids yeah i know .  im hoping they prove me wrong by saying that ..  ;D.. LIVERPOOL!!!!!.. 

vidmar link said:
.. 2nd that...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, good one. Me listening to an old CD will magically increase our forwards speed, reduce their age, give Hodkinson the ability to send someone through a hole, give T Rex a heart, make Robbo able to clock under 15 seconds over 100 metres, fix Brett Stewart's knee, Lyon's ankle, remove Dasler's risk aversion and love of taking our number 1 backrower and goal kicker off in a close game.

Yeah I might put on an old CD as well.

With Lyon on the field we are a different side.  If we can get him back soon we should bounce back. 

Volley link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=183777.msg270425#msg270425 date=1277709183]
.. 2nd that...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, good one. Me listening to an old CD will magically increase our forwards speed, reduce their age, give Hodkinson the ability to send someone through a hole, give T Rex a heart, make Robbo able to clock under 15 seconds over 100 metres, fix Brett Stewart's knee, Lyon's ankle, remove Dasler's risk aversion and love of taking our number 1 backrower and goal kicker off in a close game.

Yeah I might put on an old CD as well.
[/quote]

Do people still listen to CD's?

I agree Volley, dont see how that will help. However remember you cant have a negative opinion on anything Manly related!

Jamie Lyon's been there during most of or second half collapses, personally I don't think he's the answer

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7