Junior Development knight etc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

king2213

Reserve Grader
Unfortunately, the days of developing a junior like Knight i think are over.

If they have been on contract with club for 4-5 years, by the time they are ready for first grade the cost is going to be too high. Then you will have other clubs chasing them and pushing their prices too high

I think junior development may still occur with really talented youngsters who play 1/6/7/9

This Blacktown partnership is a huge step in the right direction, we must succeed as a business first and foremost to be able to have long term stability.

Recruiting players like Shaun Lane will be a more regular occurence eg 21 years of age with some FG experience.

There is no point in blooding youngsters from 15 years old anymore with the rare exception.

If they have been on contract with club for 4-5 years, by the time they are ready for first grade the cost is going to be too high. Then you will have other clubs chasing them and pushing their prices too high

I think junior development may still occur with really talented youngsters who play 1/6/7/9

This Blacktown partnership is a huge step in the right direction, we must succeed as a business first and foremost to be able to have long term stability.

Recruiting players like Shaun Lane will be a more regular occurence eg 21 years of age with some FG experience.

There is no point in blooding youngsters from 15 years old anymore with the rare exception.
It's the nick politis way

It's the nick politis way

Knight is a perfect example

5 years developing the kid who ends up having behavior issues with poor discipline.

Why not just purchase guys like Meehan, who had some issues but has sorted them out and is making steps in the right direction.

125 kg semi pro boxer 2m tall ready to tuck the ball in and have a dig

The old footy departments recruitment strategy was not good for business and there is no reward from the NRL to operate this way.

I can see some valid reasons for the turnover of staff.

Knight is a perfect example

5 years developing the kid who ends up having behavior issues with poor discipline.

Why not just purchase guys like Meehan, who had some issues but has sorted them out and is making steps in the right direction.

125 kg semi pro boxer 2m tall ready to tuck the ball in and have a dig

The old footy departments recruitment strategy was not good for business and there is no reward from the NRL to operate this way.

I can see some valid reasons for the turnover of staff.
Yep Raiders figured this out and changed their method.

What you are advocating sounds like a draft system to me. They use it in the AFL. My understanding is that no matter how much you want to play for the club where you were a junior, you had to enter a draft and go to the highest bidder.
It has always sounded like 'The Stolen Generation' to me.
I believe local players should be developed and they will have a greater desire to play and bleed for that club. Surely loyalty is not completely dead?

What you are advocating sounds like a draft system to me. They use it in the AFL. My understanding is that no matter how much you want to play for the club where you were a junior, you had to enter a draft and go to the highest bidder.
I believe local players should be developed and they will have a greater desire to play and bleed for that club. Surely loyalty is not completely dead?
The kids in the draft can generally pre-negotiate their preference, with the understanding of course that the clubs will ultimately decide who they'll take on board.

For a kid with aspirations to play at the top level, the draft is a means to an end. If it means heading to Perth from country Victoria (and there are no shortage of instances of this occuring, and vis-versa) then they'll go and make a fist of it.

Loyalty isn't dead but it has been on life-support for some time. Between players itching to leave clubs (at times playing up to force their hand) and ruthless clubs dropping players to force them to leave, no side can claim 'poor me' status in the way recruitment and retention has played out over the last two decades.

Don't agree.most true local juniors (knight is from Central Coast via Darwin)if they have been with the club since they were fifteen will play for less money because they love the club.

Trouble with that assessment The Who is that many clubs are more equal than others with juniors. Such an inequitable arrangement again leads to some teams having all the goodies and others the left overs. Be nice to play where you were raised, but these days most players dont. Fact of life.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6