• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ross faces lengthy ban

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23423634-23214,00.html
    March 24, 2008

CRONULLA prop Ben Ross has been ordered to front the NRL judiciary over his late and high elbow to the head of Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk.

The match review committee deemed the incident from Sunday's match at Olympic Park so serious that it referred it straight to the judiciary, which is expected to hear the case on Wednesday evening.

Ross has been charged with striking and is facing a possible lengthy ban after hitting Cronk with his elbow well after the Storm halfback had put in a crossfield kick during Cronulla's 17-16 win.

His Melbourne counterpart Brett White is facing a three-match ban after being given a grade four striking charge for punching Ross in retaliation to the Cronk incident.

If White opts to contest the charge at the judiciary he risks a possible four match suspension.

Meanwhile, the match review committee has cracked down on shoulder charges which misfired at the weekend.

North Queensland centre Ashley Graham faces a grade four careless high tackle charge but can escape with just a one match ban with an early guilty plea.

Graham's hit with what appeared to be an elbow left Wests Tigers captain Brett Hodgson concussed and highly doubtful to play this weekend against the Bulldogs.

Brisbane's Test fullback Karmichael Hunt is facing a one match ban after getting a grade three careless high tackle charge for his shoulder charge which left Sydney Roosters five eighth Braith Anasta with a broken nose on Friday night.

Manly frontrower Josh Perry is also looking at one match on the sidelines after receiving a grade one striking charge for allegedly headbutting Newcastle's Danny Wicks in a scrum.

Perry (Manly) 1 week
Hunt (Broncos) 1 week
Graham (Cowboys) 1 week
Ross (Sharks) Judiciary
White (Storm) 3 weeks early plea, 4 weeks contested & lost
AAP

Perry will get off I'd say by basically saying he was packing the scrum. Either way, against The Warriors who just thumped The Eels, we are in deep do do.

I can't believe Hunt and Graham have been cited. Both Anasta and Hodgson slipped into those tackles. If they want to show some balls then ban the shoulder charge altogether, but don't punish guys when it goes wrong through no fault of their own. If they consider the shoulder charge a legitimate tackle, then why aren't any other "normal" tackles that result in head knocks due to the player falling/slipping also cited.

THey said at the start of the year, any contact with the head in a tackle will be cited, hence why they are going, they may still get off though.

The rule has always been that the duty of care is with the tackler not the person being tackled

We may as well change our scoring to 5 points for tries and 3 for penalties, the way the game is headed.

Dan link said:
THey said at the start of the year, any contact with the head in a tackle will be cited, hence why they are going, they may still get off though.

The rule has always been that the duty of care is with the tackler not the person being tackled

Contact to the head with what ?? Arm, shouder, elbow, hand, head, knee, hip ???

Why didn't Glen Stewart get cited for his "high" hit on Bird in Round 1. It was good enough to disallow the try on that basis so why didn't they charge him ?

Based on this theory Perry should have been cited for contacting Ben Ross's melon with his own, accidental or not.

Also last night in the Titans v Dragons game one of the Titans backs slipped into a tackle and was cleaned up by Justin Poore's hip as he came in over the top. Is that going to be cited ??

I still think the citing of Graham and Hunt is a joke, and hopefully if there is any sense they will get off. Either ban the shoulder charge altogether, or accept that is a "tackle" intended to hurt the opposition and don't whinge when it achieves its aim. You can't have it both ways.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=177154.msg180236#msg180236 date=1206398020]

Contact to the head with what ?? Arm, shouder, elbow, hand, head, knee, hip ???

Why didn't Glen Stewart get cited for his "high" hit on Bird in Round 1. It was good enough to disallow the try on that basis so why didn't they charge him ?

Based on this theory Perry should have been cited for contacting Ben Ross's melon with his own, accidental or not.

Also last night in the Titans v Dragons game one of the Titans backs slipped into a tackle and was cleaned up by Justin Poore's hip as he came in over the top. Is that going to be cited ??

I still think the citing of Graham and Hunt is a joke, and hopefully if there is any sense they will get off. Either ban the shoulder charge altogether, or accept that is a "tackle" intended to hurt the opposition and don't whinge when it achieves its aim. You can't have it both ways.
[/quote]

Glenn Stewart - Ended in a penalty, due to severity which was enough punishment in the eyes of match review

Perry - Was cited and is facing 1 week

You know the hip is different to an arm or upper body swing. It becomes careless when you use your arms as you have more control of their position than your bodies.

quite clearly the incidence in question were much more severe and warrant being taken to the judiciary based on the vote taken by ALL coaches at the start of the year.

Whether Anasta is falling or not, Hunt should have been a bit more careful. He will likely get off or end up with 1 week at most. It does send the message though either way don't you think?

Yeah I didnt see the Graham one so can't comment but all of it has warranted judiciary in my opinion

Perry has been cited for his intentional headbutt in the Newcastle game, not for his accidental head clash whilst shoulder charging in the Cronulla game.

Graham's contact with Hodgson's head was accidental IMO, and brought about by Hodgson slipping so his head dropped to elbow level. Hodgson stays upright then we have absolutely no problem.

My point is that during a shoulder charge you are not swinging anything, and providing you keep your arm locked against your side there is no raised elbow. So how does this become more careless if the player falls into you as opposed to a "normal" tackle ?

I just think it is ridiculous to single out one particular tackling style, which they deem legal in all other instances, for special treatment if a player slips over or if the timing goes wrong.

Why isn't a headclash during a shoulder charge (such as Chief v Spud classic) deemed reckless, careless or stupid ? IMO it's the ultimate reckless event because you have little concern for your own well being let alone that of the opposition player.

C&C try this simple experiment.

Put your arms directly out in front of you
move them to either side or up in the air
or
turn around in a circle and see if they brush against anything

Do the same with your head

Range of motion mate, it is easy to get your arms out of the way as they have a massive range of motion you can move them anywhere

other parts of your body pretty much have to go wherever your torso puts them

I understand simple biomechanics, but thanks for the lesson anyway.

My argument is that with a shoulder charge your arms aren't flailing away wildly, they are locked down against your chest and side as protection against the impact of the hit. They are essentially become part of your torso so they go wherever your torso goes, as per your argument.

Hunt's elbow was away from his chest, and even if it wasn't I had my ribs fractured by someone using the same move in soccer, the elbow is the elbow no matter where it is tucked in.

I didn't see the graham hit but from the sound of it during the radio calls it was pretty nasty

Almost identical Dan.

Graham was moving at speed when he did it though and lets just say that Hodgeson had no idea where he was for about an hour.

Grahams elbow was only tucked into one thing. The side of Hodgsons head. Dog shot of the highest order.

Fro - Exactly my thoughts. same with Hunt

Clontaago - Is that because I can string a sentence together?

I just had another look at both of these incidents. Hunt's is nothing, elbow by his side and Anasta makes contact with the point of his shoulder, elbow doesn't even come into it. His elbow leaves his body after the contact as he pushes Anasta off with his arm.  Not even worth putting on report.

Graham's is a lot untidier then I first thought, he does clean him up with the elbow, but I still don't think it was intentional.

Anyway let's see what happens at the judiciary.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4