Judiciary - Matai and T-Rex

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
WAMF said:
I recall Hayne being let off for sliding knees into the head of an opponent in a semi and being able to play for Parra in the GF. So the precedent has already been set.

Good point WAMF. Haynes was worse IMO.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-cleared-to-play-in-grand-final/story-e6frep66-1225780084058

The grade one charge carries a 100-point base penalty, which is boosted to 120 points as a result of a prior offence relating from a dangerous throw against Brisbane last year.

But a 25 per cent discount for an early guilty plea reduces the penalty to below the 100-point barrier at which a one week suspension kicks in.

Even if just a grade one for Matai I think he has too many add ons to get it under 100 points.

If Matai gets charged with even a grade 1 I think he will have to go to the judiciary and hope to win a case that he is found not guilty.

The thing is, the NRL, from its leadership down (thanks again, Gallop), is reactionary. If there's a media outcry - or even a handful of emails from "concerned mothers", apparently - there'll be charges. And under the current judiciary system, Matai's record will always count against him. As others have said, T-rex should be OK - he'll be hit with a grade one or even a grade two and be free to play. The best we can hope for with Matai is that there's no charge at all. But if he is charged we need to fight it, and looking at similar incidents (I also recall Thurston laying knees into someone in an origin game) is a good place to start. And somebody at the club should be booking Geoff Bellew right now.

He must have kneed Yow Yeh because you can see how much the poor kid was writhing around on the ground. It must be true.

I'm just thankful T Rex didn't do any damage in the tackle before, but when I saw Yow Yeh fast asleep on the ground I was really worried for the poor kid but then he got up and was soon running into the corner at full speed.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
The thing is, the NRL, from its leadership down (thanks again, Gallop), is reactionary. If there's a media outcry - or even a handful of emails from "concerned mothers", apparently - there'll be charges. And under the current judiciary system, Matai's record will always count against him. As others have said, T-rex should be OK - he'll be hit with a grade one or even a grade two and be free to play. The best we can hope for with Matai is that there's no charge at all. But if he is charged we need to fight it, and looking at similar incidents (I also recall Thurston laying knees into someone in an origin game) is a good place to start. And somebody at the club should be booking Geoff Bellew right now.
fair dinkumif they are serious,the Nrl,then they need to go back and go through a truckload of games this year,I cant remember how many games I have seen this year that players have scored a try and someone has come in late,and nothing was said,not a whisper and last week we had hodges kow act against morris andagain nothing said,didnt even make the judiciary and all the so called experts were saying its ok,its part of his game,so that makes it right,ok then again,his name isnt Mattai is it

Like I say, Yow Yeh should be asked to testify ion both our players defense. PLayers know what a GF means, so hopefully the kid is class enough to help out here.

Perry - get onto it !

Blind justice

Blind justice will ensure that Matai misses out on the grand final.

After all, Cameron had to miss one grand final, so we should lose one of ours. He has multiple offences, an offense this year and carry over points, so he must be guilty of the charge.

One small problem with that line of thinking. It fails to take into account that for someone to be found guilty of anything, they must first be proven guilty of the charge in question and not because of any guilt by association with prior events. Gallop may want to give this legal aspect some thought and ask the frenzied media to tone it down a little. That's what a good CEO would do.

Williams will get off. First contact was flush with the shoulder. Just so happens that his massive forearm also hit him flush one the jaw. He is the cleanest of clean skins. Not only has he never had any points, he has never given away one single foul play penalty. He deserves a grade 1 careless tackle and a positive comment from the judiciary that acknowledges his superb prior discipline as a tough forward.

I was lucky enough to see the game at SFS last night. I think it's disgraceful that Yow Yeh took a dive. To carry on like he did and them watch him run freely and spritely for the rest of the match was despicable. The way that he carried on was as if he had cracked a rib.

Consideration of biomechanics would tell you that there are two effective and legal methods of tackling a player that is diving to score in the corner. The defender can either dive forward, as if to push the attacker over the sideline with their outstretched hands. The other methods involves sliding forwards, ahead of the player to prepare to block the player from entry into the try zone. Matai chose the later. Yes, it was clumsy, yes, it looks bad, but a player can't be guilty of striking, if they never hit or "struck". Video evidence does not indicate that he went flying with intent, leading with his knees and cracked a rib or any other part of his body.

He should not miss the grand final over that. Somehow, I think I will be disappointed.

I hope the fallout from todays game will overshadow ours and the boys get forgotten in the aftermath.

Ash Graham on Will Hopoate at North Queensland this year. Did he get charged? His knee dropping was far more blatant and reckless.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
I also recall Thurston laying knees into someone in an origin game is a good place to start. And somebody at the club should be booking Geoff Bellew right now.

Yes. That Thurston incident is listed in that link that WAMF posted:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/jarryd-hayne-cleared-to-play-in-grand-final/story-e6frep66-1225780084058

judiciary

It's 2011. Surely the NRL should look at any reports the day after the game and then the judiciary sit the day after if necessary during the finals. Instead everyone sits around until Tuesady night. The focus during the week should be on the GF instead we have 4 days speculating about who is going to be allowed to play. Get with the times Gallop and be proactive.
Having said that Mattai will not be charged as his knees don't come into contact with Yippy Yow Yee.

RE: judiciary

well now that you have decided that rosco we will all sleep a lot easier...

RE: judiciary

Do I remember them meeting earlier and getting the Hayne thing done and dusted earlier in the week in 2009 correctly ?

Any charge will sideline Matai for NRL GF

http://www.nrl.com/any-charge-will-sideline-matai-for-nrl-gf/tabid/10874/newsid/64966/default.aspx

I hope he does not get charged....

RE: Any charge will sideline Matai for NRL GF

torana355 said:
http://www.nrl.com/any-charge-will-sideline-matai-for-nrl-gf/tabid/10874/newsid/64966/default.aspx

why post a link to this filth? If he gets charged, surely he can fight it.

RE: Any charge will sideline Matai for NRL GF

shauneagle said:
torana355 said:

why post a link to this filth? If he gets charged, surely he can fight it.

I posted it because im a huge fan of Matai and i would be shattered he were to miss the GF.

They will know today at some point I believe. Match review committee are meeting to sort it out.

I expect T-Rex to get charged, Grade 1 hopefully, and I really can't see how they could justify charging Matai.

I can't for the life of me see Matai being charged. It was nothing. If anything he was originally going for the ball and was then trying to pull his legs away. T-Rex will get a grade 1 or 2 charge and get off because of his good record. Matai will not be referred at all.

Now that we have that out of the way lets get ready for the big show.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6