Josh Starling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think Starling has done a solid job so far. Hasn't set the world on fire, however hasn't done anything to justify him being dropped either. No frills, no mistake player who is just doing his job and what is required of him. Only a young guy and seems to be improving week by week and gaining more confidence. Also a nice cheap contract to have when battling salary cap problems.

Is there other guys I would prefer over him at the club? Yes, however at present it seems Tooves is content with Josh so he must be doing something right. Also Im pretty sure some of the other guys we have waiting in the wings will get their chance to stake a claim this year sometime when injuries occur.

When you consider that he is new to the side, and relatively new to first grade, the fact that our middle has been so tight in defence, tells me that Starling is doing a very good job indeed. The most common problem with inexperienced props (even those with very special potential), is keeping the middle tight and making good decisions in defence. Starling is doing exceptionally well in this area.

He is always there to take a hit up when we are stuck inside our red zone. He is a mistake free, no frills footballer, and I can totally understand why he keeps getting pick in the starting lineup each week; he is safe as houses.

Similar sort of chat going on here to what was had about Bryant for most of his time at Manly. Bryant ended up playing a pretty good role for us in 08 so hopefully Starling is similar

Yeah you're probably right there but hopefully Starling will come on

Would love to see more of what Sao has to offer

I agree Sao looked powerful in that match last year. Maybe he hasn't been applying himself enough to training/improvement? Massive potential, I thought.

Word out today that Jarrod Saffy wants back into the NRL before June 30 deadline. Currently playing rah rah in France. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/former-st-george-illawarra-prop-jarrod-saffy-set-to-rejoin-nrl-20140417-zqvur.html

An earlier poster on here said something about Glenn Stewart when he first started playing.....I was definitely one of those. I remember back in about 06?? when I first saw Gift I said to my wife 'we know who got all the talent in that family'. Couldn't have been more wrong, he was just new and inexperienced and finding his way. And has been one of the best backrowers of the last decade.

Now not for a second saying Starling will be in that league. But he's doing nothing wrong. Keep it up Josh!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I agree Sao looked powerful in that match last year. Maybe he hasn't been applying himself enough to training/improvement? Massive potential, I thought.

Good point. We don't know if he has some things he's been told to work on and he's either not just in training he's not working as hard as the other guys. Setting those sorts of standards is what keeps clubs being competitive.

For what its worth I thought Starling was pretty good tonight. Showed good leg speed helping clean up a Cowboys mini break as well in the second half.

Our pack had Starling, Sene-Lefao, Lui, Hasson, Lawrence and Horo, a year ago who would have believed that? Let alone believe that'd we'd be winning games.
Some people seem to expect instant perfection, but 4 of those guys are in their NRL infancy. A lot of improvement in our team yet.

Starling went well tonight, nothing fancy, just doing his job. Made plenty of metres with BJ to stop a try opportunity also

Hmmmm...I disagree on his efforts tonight to be honest. But you all make good points, and im happy to give him time to improve, especially when we are winning. Again, I feel a starting prop should be a difference maker...and Starling seems the epitome of a toiler. Then again, I consider Tolman a toiler. ..hes just a bloody good one.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Our pack had Starling, Sene-Lefao, Lui, Hasson, Lawrence and Horo, a year ago who would have believed that? Let alone believe that'd we'd be winning games.
Some people seem to expect instant perfection, but 4 of those guys are in their NRL infancy. A lot of improvement in our team yet.

Exactly. A year ago you'd have laughed at our chances against the rated forwards in the Cowboys such as Tamau, Scott, Simms and Taomalola (sp). But they dug in and kept us in the game, despite having bugger all possession.

A great 'pack' effort.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

True and they have all been playing very well but they needed Ballin,Choc and Gift to hold them together and with Choc off for most of the game it was Gift who held the forwards together and gave them the leadership required. Without him last night we would have lost for sure. He was M.O.M last night. He will be a BIG BIG loss if we don't re-sign him.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6