1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josh Jackson?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by swoop, Feb 10, 2016.

1. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 16
    South Sydney among suitors for Canterbury Bulldogs forward Josh Jackson
    February 9, 2016 - 6:13PM
    South Sydney have emerged as a suitor for Josh Jackson if the NSW and Australian forward is unable to agree terms on an extension with Canterbury.

Jackson is one of the biggest-name forwards off contract and the 25-year-old is hopeful of settling his long-term future before the start of the season. The Bulldogs are the favourites for his signature, hopeful of securing Jackson until 2020. However, there is no shortage of suitors if the parties don't come to terms, with the Rabbitohs, Manly and another Sydney club ready to pounce.

Jackson has played 84 games for the Bulldogs since making his NRL debut in 2012 and has developed into one of the best backrowers in the game. His stocks have risen after playing in all three Origin games last season after making his Test debut the year before.

Jackson's form has piqued the interest of Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire, who is keen to bolster his pack following the departure of forwards Chris McQueen, Issac Luke, Glenn Stewart and Ben Lowe in the off-season.

The Rabbitohs are keen to reassert their dominance in the middle and view Jackson as the ideal recruit to add to a forward roster already boasting the returning Sam Burgess and twin brothers George and Tom. The interest in the Gulgong product will further fuel a Rabbitohs-Bulldogs rivalry that has emerged after a series of classic encounters, most notably the 2014 grand final.

Likewise, Manly has become an attractive destination for star talent after luring Dylan Walker, Nate Myles, Lewis Brown, Martin Taupau, Apisai Koroisau, Matt Parcell, Darcy Lussick, Tom Wright and Tim Moltzen to the northern beaches. The Sea Eagles have again become a serious player in the market and Jackson would be a welcome addition should he decide to explore his options.

That will only happen if talks break down with Canterbury, with the "Family Club" given first opportunity to seal a deal before other offers are considered. It's understood the Country Origin forward would be happy with a deal of three or four years and would prefer negotiations not to drag into the season proper.

The Bulldogs, who will play their opening trial of the year against Penrith at Pepper Stadium on Saturday, will soon have some positive retention news to trumpet. After months of negotiations, Moses Mbye is close to inking a new Canterbury contract. The promising playmaker's chances of playing for Queensland this year increased after Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford were among a host of emerging players banned for breaking curfew during a recent camp.

The Rabbitohs will get a look at some of their new recruits, including Damien Cook, Dane Nielsen and Hymel Hunt, at Saturday night's traditional Charity Shield clash against St George Illawarra.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sh-jackson-20160209-gmpote.html#ixzz3zi1wVjmb
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

2. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,557 / 32
    I thought Souths had to shed more players to stay under the cap. Everything's hunky-dory now then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,409 / 130
    Inglis will be gone for 2017, He cant stand Russell's sons.

• Yart-tastic Yart-tastic x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Yep. Shane Richardson is back there.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,369 / 57
    Josh is a very good versatile backrower, but really prefer another big bad bopper - as in Klemmer - well before another backrower - & if it was - prefer Guerra who is available also ( I think).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,417 / 257
    Tariq Sims is off contract too.

7. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,846 / 103
    If you believed the media we should be renamed the Greyhounds, chasing rabbits, dogs, roosters and even eels.
    I don;t believe any of it. We have a fantastic bunch of backrowers. This bloke is no better than them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,365 / 111
    Is that a lyric Bob or a lymric?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brookvale2015

Brookvale2015 Active Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 171
    No he won't come here same with Klemmer

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. smithy

smithy Active Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 8
    Don't agree with that. IMO our back row is probably our weakest position. While I don't think we are any chance at getting him, an Origin and Australian Rep is definitely an upgrade on what we currently have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hgbcds

Hgbcds Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 44
    You can't have a team full of stars salary cap won't allow it , what's wrong with who we have?

12. smithy

smithy Active Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 8
    I realise this. My comment was simply that Jackson is a quality player and better than what we currently have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hgbcds

Hgbcds Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 44
    Agree

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Well Baz did say we were skinny in the backrow when he was pumping up Nathan Greens tyres the other day. Jackson would be a good signing, capable of playing 80 minutes and very solid workrate. He reminds me of Choc is his better days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,496 / 42
    I'd prefer his sister.

16. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,536 / 135
    I would definitely be happy to snare this guy...he is tough and a very hard worker...I actually think for the price he is better value than Boyd Cordner. Not implying that he is a better player than Cordner, but his asking price would be a little less for good return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jwaa

jwaa member

Ratings:
    +27 / 2
    As long as our "interest" in these off contract SOO forwards (Tamou, Cordner, Jackson, Klemmer etc.) drives up their retention cost... I couldn't give a toss who we do or don't sign :)

Let's wreak havoc on other teams salary caps - I'd rather bring in 3 high potential kids for 3 years than one established star for the same time (and cap space). Adding Shaun Lane / Joseph Tapine / Agnatius Paasi type players would make for some interesting decisions. Competition is always good, the pack is already pretty solid.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. EagleFlys

EagleFlys Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +516 / 30
    Klemmer > Lane, but if we cant get Klemmer; Lane > everyone else