Jordan McLean hearing.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Regardless of suspension, very sad for both young men. One has to live with an horrific injury, the other with the guilt of contributing to this.
No winners at all unless it never happens again.

I must have missed the policy change that now says the result of the illegal act has no bearing on the penalty. Bob cooper punches deliberately gets 15 months, gallen punches deliberately gets little or nothing. The broken jaw caused by cooper must have meant something. Boyd elbows Brohman in the face, gets 15 months. Gift elbows Pearce in the face, gets a few weeks. The broken jaw/cheekbone caused by boyd must have meant something. And so on.

In any other field of justice the impact of the act is relevant to the punishment. If a person drives through a crossing and hits nobody, it's a fine. If they drive through a crossing and break someone's neck, it's a much more serious charge. Same act, same intent, different result, different punishment.

I am gobsmacked.

bob dylan said:
What a joke.

Zero weeks is the right penalty, 10 worse tackles in the weekend just gone.

Farce.

Mclean got 7 weeks which is a joke, just imagine how many weeks the next player who makes a tackle worse than that. That player could be out for 6 months or the entire season.

If Alex didn't get hurt Mclean would of got off or at worst penalised. Massive over-reaction by the NRL.

This has been an intriguing case. I have mixed views. I will premace my views by saying i think he was lifting in the tackle.

One part of me thinks that the penalty is too harsh and the NRL made an example out of him. Lifting penalties normally get 0-3 weeks.

But at the same time I think we should take into account the severity of injury caused. This is the case in the courts.

For example if you drink drive and run in to a car, the charge and sentence will vary depending on the severity of the impact. e.g. if the person is not injured you may get 12 months loss of licence and liable for damages, if the impact killed an innocent victim you could be sent to jail.

So based on that logic is the penalty fair?

7 weeks is a joke. He was penalised for what happened not what he did.

Yes, he lifted. But he lifted 1 leg off the ground, the other barely left the ground.

In comparison, T-Rex completely picked up and flung Isaac DeGois a couple of years ago and got 7 weeks.

The NRL meed to take the blame for this. They will not do anything about wrestling in tackles. 3 man tackles need to be removed form the game.

swoop said:
bob dylan said:
What a joke.

Farce.

Mclean got 7 weeks which is a joke, just imagine how many weeks the next player who makes a tackle worse than that. That player could be out for 6 months or the entire season.

If Alex didn't get hurt Mclean would of got off or at worst penalised. Massive over-reaction by the NRL.

McLean should count himself lucky it was only 7 weeks. The NRL is at fault here. Lifting in a tackle is a lucky dip and has enormous potential to go wrong as it did in this case. If a player is lifted even 1 inch off the ground it should be instant penalty. If a player is lifted and taken beyond the horizontal as happened in this case it should be an instant 1 year suspension. This must be stamped out of the game, the consequences are too tragic to take the risk.

Please don't tell me this isn't beyond the horizontal. He had one hand between his legs, he lifted him and then as the photo shows he went on with it and they drove him into the ground. How ANYONE is trying to defend this tackle is utterly beyond my comprehension.

If the NRL had let him off just as many people would have been outraged the other way saying the NRL has gone soft on violence and 'I'll never let my son play the game' after this if a bloke breaks another blokes neck & gets off scott free. It was only a week or 2 back all the concussion stuff in the media had all the alramists saying outrageous things.

Some people love to be outraged, and will happily take either side of an issue as the case suits. Everything is either "too harsh" or "too lenient" depending on perspective. The NRL cant win either way.

I think he got of lightly. I admit that in this case Mclean was also a victim but it was a rehearsed manoeuver that has cost a kid. I think The NRL are the main culprits in this ending in such a way . But i also blame the coaches and the players also who constantly milk penalties and lash out as if someone is ripping their toe off. While its easy to say everyone does it, its part of the game, not everyone dives and stays down so it is an individuals choice

There is No adam gilchrists in the game of League which is a shame

I feel sorry for Mclean as he is the club scapegoat. I thought all 3 tacklers should have paid the price, I thought melbourne should have paid the price both on and off the field also. Its a legal move within the rules but if you go to far you pay the price

In some parts of the world you can shoot intruders, some people do some dont, its a choice. Some people quit jobs due to the ethics of a company some dont.We all know Melbourne are A holes and push the limits beyond gamesmanship, but when has any player ever signed with another club and said that they left because the brand they play is not in the spirit of the game

Everyone has just got to wake up and stop being such bad freakin sports

Ralphie said:
swoop said:
bob dylan said:
What a joke.

Farce.

McLean should count himself lucky it was only 7 weeks. The NRL is at fault here. Lifting in a tackle is a lucky dip and has enormous potential to go wrong as it did in this case. If a player is lifted even 1 inch off the ground it should be instant penalty. If a player is lifted and taken beyond the horizontal as happened in this case it should be an instant 1 year suspension. This must be stamped out of the game, the consequences are too tragic to take the risk.

Please don't tell me this isn't beyond the horizontal.

No, I disagree with Maclean's punishment. I agree that it's the NRL's fault for not clamping down on the wrestling tactics years ago. It was only a matter of time something like this was going to happen.

A player should be rewarded and given more time to mark up when he makes a bootlace tackle, also once the forward progress of a player is stopped then the ref should call held. I also agree that as soon as a player is "lifted" held or a penalty should be called.

RiverEagle said:
If the two other Storm players don't come in, I doubt the same happens with McLean tackling alone.
I think the two others were already there, it was McLean who came in 3rd?

lsz said:
The issue I have is that it potentially places the consequences above intention

If a player goes out to punch someone in the head but there is no damage they might be suspended for a lesser time than a player who does something without the same intention to harm? That does not seem consistent or right to me
So you would impose a harsher penalty for a deliberate attempted punch that misses than for a reckless act that causes major injury.

Stevo said:
It's the same thing.
"Hey, I only lit a match, people light matches all the time. Don't blame me if the whole service station blew up."

[attachment=769]

Stevo said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
It's the same thing.
"Hey, I only lit a match, people light matches all the time. Don't blame me if the whole service station blew up."

That is a stupid comparison.

Try, "Hey, I only lit a match, people light matches all the time. Don't blame me if the whole service station blew up.""And there were 2 other people there liighting matches too" "But it's ok because my employer encourages me to do this because of the stupid rules that their governing body have come up with and becuase they have NFI".

Stevo said:

Stevo said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
It's the same thing.

That is a stupid comparison.

Try, "Hey, I only lit a match, people light matches all the time. Don't blame me if the whole service station blew up.""And there were 2 other people there liighting matches too" "But it's ok because my employer encourages me to do this because of the stupid rules that their governing body have come up with and becuase they have NFI".

Ok, so how about but I only lit a match and the service station blew up. The other bloke did it 20 minutes ago and the service didn't blow up so I shouldn't be punished.

[/quote]
So you would impose a harsher penalty for a deliberate attempted punch that misses than for a reckless act that causes major injury.

For mind the issue is consistency. I am not saying that there should be no penalty rather there needs to be consistency regardless of the outcome

If you go out to punch people in the head why should you not get penalised less than someone who does the same with a worse consequence?

I think you're right there @SeaEagleRock8 that McLean was 3rd man in; my point is more about this gang-tackle/grappling mentality, combined with the directive to get the man to the ground, and you're asking for trouble.

We've simply got to get tougher on the "lift".
No grey area, no contest, it's OUT. Just like any high shots are out/often on report now,
so too the lift in tackles, esp beyond the horizontal.

Good to see, generally respectful debate between us all, too.

All four players contributed to the situation in some way. My gut feeling was that, with emotion taken out of it, it should have been 3 weeks.

McLeans actions created a dangerous situation but no malice and just trying to put the player on the ground.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7