1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johns rules out Origin return

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by clontaago, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. clontaago

    clontaago Well-Known Member

    +121 / 0
    RUGBY league great Andrew Johns today ruled out a State of Origin comeback and said he was only committed to his NRL club Newcastle Knights.

    The champion halfback denied a News Limited report which said he was contemplating a return for New South Wales this year.

    Johns retired from representative football prior to last year's Origin series won by Queensland.

    While he admitted it was difficult watching the Blues surrender the Origin trophy, the 32-year-old confirmed he was not interested in playing for the Blues this year.

    Johns said his Knights' contract has a clause preventing him from playing representative football and his main concern is winning another NRL premiership.

    "There's a clause in my contract saying I cannot play rep football which pretty much puts it to bed," Johns told Southern Cross Radio.

    "I'm more interested in just playing for the Knights and hopefully winning a premiership in one of my last years."

    Johns is contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2008, although it is possible he could retire at the end of this year and finish his career in the UK.

Share This Page