John Morris = Shayne Dunley

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
What do you guys think of Shayne Dunley as 5/8?

John Morris was a bench impact Hooker at Parramatta, and excelled as a 5/8, when Parra had some positional problems, letting Tim Smith do most of the work (creative wise).

If Michael Monaghan is going to be Hooker, you would say that he could play 80 minutes right. Where does that leave Shayne Dunley's role? He can still go into dummy 1/2.

Therefore Williamson could slot back into the second row, and if Dunley OR Monaghan went off injurred, Willow could fit into either position if required.

Also, we could then add size to our bench. If Williamson is our utility player, you'd say King, Leuleuai would be on the bench but we could have either:-

Sione
Rose
Cuthbertson
Cleal
Curtis
Arnold

all vying for the other position.

Alternatively, you could throw a bulked up Burns in as utility, and leave Willow as a second rower regardless i.e. bench like this:-

Travis Burns, Luke Williamson, Kylie Leuleuai, Jason King.

I really think this could work for Dunley. I'll post the team, but don't want it to be just a YART....

01. Brett Stewart
02. Paul Stephenson
03. Steven Bell
04. Ashley Alberts
05. Chris Hicks
06. Shayne Dunley
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Mark Bryant
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Travis Burns
15. Luke Williamson
16. Kylie Leuleuai
17. Jason King

If you needed more size, interchange Burns with a big prop, and make Willow the utility player.

Good idea guys?

You'd need a bit more size on the bench, given that you really only have three players there (assuming King is good for his usual two hit-ups, 3 dropped balls and 17 missed tackles.)

Ryan are you going to do a YART for the first trial game against Easts rembering they will probably rest a few established players like BK, Beaver etc

G'day Ryan,

Ya certainly come up with some left of field ideas 8|

The BIG problem with your theory, in my opinion, is general kicking. When we dropped Witt last year Monas was the only go to man, and his kicking game suffered with the added pressure. Teams had to just look at which side of the ruck he was on late in the count and run pressure at him. With this setup Orford would be in the same situ.

Youth is the other thing. Benji showed last year what youth, pace & courage can do at 5/8...Thurston is another example that comes to mind. (How he didn't tour stuffs me).

I think the ideal is for Witt & Burns to battle it out. Personally I'd give Travis first shot because I think his pace off the mark will mean we finally have a 5/8 that can take on the line and setup our outside backs. He can kick + GK and his defence is sound. He will gain a lot more than he will lose, esp. playing outside Ox.

I'd make Witt Prem. League 5/8-Captain-GK.....maybe give Groom a taste at half.

As for Dunley, still reckon he's ace off the bench. Monas will need time to aclimatise to playing defence in the frontline and will need a breather esp. in the first 6 > 8 rounds when the weather/heat is still going to play a part.

Stewart, Steppa, Bell, Alberts, Hicks
Burns, Ox.
Kite, Monas, King
Choc, Beaver
BK

Dunley, Bryant, Kylie, Willo/G Stewart.

agree Evo, I would like to see Burns given a shot at 5/8.

I like the look of that team u mentioned but I hope some of the new forwards impress in the trials and are putting pressure on King/Bryant/Kylie for a spot in the top 17.

Happy new year all....damn off season is far tooooooooooo long

What is evryone's obsession to putting Williamson in 1st grade???

Yes, he is a tireless worker, but, surely we have someone with a bit more impact????

I hate to say this cheech dude, but I agree we need less "workers", and need more impact players like you say...

We need all the team playing with the idea of playing for their respective countries.

We DON'T want players just going about their business..

like that team a lot evo

looks good.

If you want more size cuthbo for willo could be a go but willo offers good depth for the backs

Willo is an honest player but should be more of back up player who can cover injuries rather than in our very best 17.

I agree with fluff give Cuthbo a go Des!

Parramattas problem was finding a spot for Morris, Marsh and Riddell in their 17, completely different situation.

Moving Dunley from the bench to starting 5/8 would just weaken both positions.

Parramattas problem was finding a spot for Morris, Marsh and Riddell in their 17, completely different situation.

Moving Dunley from the bench to starting 5/8 would just weaken both positions.
I agree with Bob and think he is spot on on this matter. 5/8 is a very important defensive player in that he fills the gap between the edge of the ruck and the final outside two. If he is exposed defensively (as Witt was against St G) you have a lot of problems with your defensive structure. That is why Willo and Beaver were used there to the detriment of our attack, as we were shown up badly.

Des has to look for a slightly changed structure, though I dare say our attacking options and the need for a traditional pivot type role may be less to improved centres, better defensive wingers, and the arrival of the Ox.
Dunley is not a superstrong defensive option and a very different player to Morris. Leave him as an impact player and we will go okay.

John Lang proved you don't need to have a strong defensive player at 5/8 by employing diferent tactics eg Preston defends of the wing

i'm not too worried about who will play 5/8 because they can all defend and their attack is pretty much on par with each other. I guess it will come down to who will compliment Orford the most. I'm going with Witt.

Nearly all of the other positions are cemented so i will say

06. Witt
09. Monaghan

"Happy new year all....damn off season is far tooooooooooo long

Yes, he is a tireless worker, but, surely we have someone with a bit more impact????

HNY to you too mate. You've got a point re. Willo, I spose it's whether we need a utility on the bench or a young bruiser.....it would be great to see Cuthbo in the runon.....and if G Stewart can recapture his early form of last season he would be a great option.

Willo may be a great choice for Tooves as Prem League Captain...and to cover injury in the NRL ?

Lockyer is also one of the worst defenders in the NRL.

As is his mate seymour

between them they missed about half the tackles for the team over the year, seymour was well into triple figures and i think lovkyer cracked it if not he was close.

\"Happy new year all....damn off season is far tooooooooooo long

HNY to you too mate. You've got a point re. Willo, I spose it's whether we need a utility on the bench or a young bruiser.....it would be great to see Cuthbo in the runon.....and if G Stewart can recapture his early form of last season he would be a great option.

Willo may be a great choice for Tooves as Prem League Captain...and to cover injury in the NRL ?

I think The Wests Tigers did Glenn Stewart a REALLY big favour. People now are coming to realise that you can be a smaller forward if you have skill and variety. Even last year (2004 I mean) everyone was saying Glenn was too small...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2