John Hopoate re Will's future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frank

Bencher
Just watching an interview with John Hopoate on 'One Week at a Time' (One HD). They asked him about whether or not Will was coming back to the NRL after his mission. He said he was definitely coming back and is currently negotiating with a few clubs. He said the club that signs him will want to keep tabs on his fitness while he is away.

There was no mention that Manly was his preferred club. Maybe he was just keeping his cards close to his chest but it would have been comforting to heard words like "he really wants to stay at Manly", or, "he is really happy at Manly and hopes he can stay". I have to question whether Hoppa senior still has any loyalty to his old club. I expect Will will look after himself while negotiating, and so he should, I just hope he shows more loyalty than his old man.

He also said that he will definitely sign with a club before he leaves.

Of course hoppa doesnt have the sane loyalty he used to. I'd say hoppa junior will go to the highest bidder as much as I would love to see him come back to us, our biggest priority should be keeping foz and turtle together long term

Yep he'll go to the highest bidder and that won't be us, sad but that's the way it is these days

Daniel said:
Of course hoppa doesnt have the sane loyalty he used to. I'd say hoppa junior will go to the highest bidder as much as I would love to see him come back to us, our biggest priority should be keeping foz and turtle together long term

I question whether he has ANY loyalty left (sane or otherwise :D).

There is no point paying over $300 k for a winger, yes I know he can play multiple positions but we seem to have most of them fairly well stiched up. If any club is willing to pay over that amount for him I would let them aka Hodgkinson to the doggs on big $$.

I am sure the club have it under control though.

bob dylan said:
He will be an Eel imo.

This or Dogs mate - long as he has a cracker on Sunday it will make him more bonded to the Seaeagles - 1 thing for sure he is a Manly boy now, & come Sunday i'm sure we will all be happy about that.

guys, its 2 years time and jamie may be finishing up, even brett may if culled with chronic injuries. 2 years, the backline will be abit different.

Hoppa jr obviously isn't greedy or he'd play on. If he wanted big money he could wait til after the TV rights deal where he could name his own price. There was talk weeks back that Manly would pay him a certain amount for the 2 years and keep tabs on him, hopefully a deal is being brokered.

Such a promising player didnt someone at manly think of extending his contract while he was still relatively unknown?? I doubt he will be with manly cause we dont have too much room in the salary cap especially with so many great young players to keep. sad loss. our urgent plyers now are robinson ,darcy and dce,. we need a winger to fill robbos and hoppas loss.

If i was negotiating a deal for hoppa i would say the exact same thing..

swoop said:
Hoppa jr obviously isn't greedy or he'd play on. If he wanted big money he could wait til after the TV rights deal where he could name his own price. There was talk weeks back that Manly would pay him a certain amount for the 2 years and keep tabs on him, hopefully a deal is being brokered.

Totally agree!! When I met him a few weeks ago and asked what was the "plan" after his mission, he said "The plan is to be back here, Manly"

I really hope he stays with manly. i have heard he is keen on staying with manly and he respects the way the club has looked after him. (but i understand money talks)

Come 2014 i believe we will have a different backline (or at least the start of change) and i think he will be a crucial player to the future backline of manly.

killer, snake and matai arnt goin to last forever. hoppa has a good 10-15yrs of first class footy. ill be devo if we loose him.

Apparently he's very close to Dessie and I hope Des can talk him into stayin, having said that we need to extend Crusher and Haslers' contracts long-term. If Des goes I'm afraid a fair few players might follow him. No reason why Des couldn't coach Manly for another 10 years. Bennett coached the Broncos for nearly 2 decades.

His preferred position is fullback; he was utterly brilliant when snake was injured.

Can you blame him for looking over the fence; how would you feel staying as a winger just because you love the football club you are at? Snake has a mortgage on FB at the Eagles...

As much as i would be shattered seeing him go, he wants to be a fullback....and it a way it would be a shame if he spent years in a position he doesn't really want to be in just to be at Manly; prefer to see him a fullback whom goes on to become the NSW and Australian fullback which he will be if he chooses....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2