1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey to Newcastle?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ando, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ando

ando Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 2
    Latest story is Andrew johns is being pursued to be assistant coach at Newcastle next year. Let's hope he stays at manly, he's done a great job with DCE and foran.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    They haven't even got a head coach yet.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    Exactly.

4. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,695 / 27
    I think it's only a matter of time until Joey does get back involved with Newcastle, and there is a real push on up here at the moment to get Newcastle people back involved with the Knights.

I just hope it's a little way away yet. Also does Joey live on the Northern Beaches? I know Matty Johns does.

5. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,343 / 111
    But any team would be silly not too. Joey did his coaching credentials a good turn by joining with the best halves pairing in the game. Smart choice.

6. eagle40

eagle40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Yes he does, Northern Beaches resident !

7. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Drugcastle are more incestious than the Old Testament. I'm sure Joey will probably head back there sometime in the future. And in all honesty they need all the help they can get.

8. lismore_fan

lismore_fan Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +206 / 1
    Love it!

9. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    Shows exactly how crap Newcastle are at the moment. I'd be offering him the head coach role!

10. Lord Eagleton

Lord Eagleton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +835 / 24
    It depends if he has the patience to commute up to Newcastle 3 times a week.

As i recall, one reason the Manly assistant job appealed to him (apart from working with the best backline in the comp) was because he lives close to Sea Eagles HQ at Bungan, thus he no longer had to travel all around the place to work with various halfbacks. Lets hope he still loves his arrangement at Narrabeen and tells the Knights to beat it

11. Lord Eagleton

Lord Eagleton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +835 / 24
    It depends if he has the patience to commute up to Newcastle 3 times a week.

As i recall, one reason the Manly assistant job appealed to him (apart from working with the best backline in the comp) was because he lives at Bungan, close to Sea Eagles training HQ, thus he no longer had to travel all around the place to work with various halfbacks. Lets hope he still loves his arrangement at Narrabeen and tells the Knights to beat it

12. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,806 / 53
    I can't see him heading back there. He may be on the banned list at just about every nightspot!

• Like Like x 1
  13. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,477 / 42
    Gidley did mention they'd be keen for a young coach who hasn't necessarily been in a head coach role?..I hope Rick Stone gets it.

14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Joey is too self indulgent and has always laughed off Coaching fulltime as a career choice.

The Manly deal allows him to surf in the morning, rock up to training a couple of times a week, then get paid to commentate on the weekends. :)

Maybe Manly don't require him from next year, but it would be out of character for him to commit long term to anything :cool:

15. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    Can even Joey help turn the Knights around though? I mean, yes he's done well with Foz and DCE...but if yesterdays loss to the Vermin is anything to go by they have a very LONG way to go. Souffs were very good yesterday, I won't deny that.....but the Knights were equally crap.

16. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,401 / 130
    Hope Kurt Kidley captain coaches them for the next 3 seasons.

They deserve that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Slats just mentioned on BSB that Joey has already knocked back the approach given their Ch 9 connection I reckon this rumour can be put to bed

18. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,806 / 53
    I guess that rules out Peter Sharp (if the fact that he can't coach didn't rule him out already).

19. Wombat Legacy

Wombat Legacy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,905 / 114
    His job with us has minimal commitment and doesn't take up a huge amount of his time. Plus he loves showboating and swanning around for Channel Nine too much.

20. Brookie Brawler

Brookie Brawler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +428 / 6
    He just said on MMM that he knocked them back about 6wks ago as he is happy with the current arrangement and wants to keep living on the northern beaches without driving to Newcastle all week.

https://m.soundcloud.com/triple-m-nrl/andrew-johns-on-knights-coaching-offer

• Like Like x 1