Jayden Hodges

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think he does some good things, i think he also stifles the attack at time. He is a hog plain and simple, but. Nippy atttacking hog. If he can get balance he will force his way into the team. Thats how players get picked in first grade. They state a case thats too hard to refuse. Its up to him.

I hope he can get it right as he has stacks of ability

I think you hit it spot on.
He might not be the answer long term but he needs to be put in and told he is in for the rest of the year. If you are a young bloke cracking first grade in those playmaker roles then it can be tempting to over play (or as some have phrased it 'hog') occasionally out of a desire to make an impact. Tell the kid he's in for the rest of the year and will get thirty minutes a game to supplement Ballin. He will show more composure then I think and get some confidence. His defence is pretty robust for a little fella and let's face it we need to try something.

What's good is that the way the game is now going with interchange dropping and ruck speeding up the forwards we have will be perfectly suited. Sao Treboievic Bhurer Demetriou Liam Knight JSL. We won't have to go hot looking for monsters like the dogs and Souths have but will be able to field footballers not enormous specimens who can be taught to catch, run, wrestle, repeat.

Just wanting to gauge everyone's thoughts on Hodges

He seems to be a fan favourite around here with plenty raving about him and 1 or 2 even thinking he should be a starter

This seems to be based on the fact he has "spark" and does a few good darts from dummy half

It reminds me of twelve months back when many were huge fans of Chesye Blair because he was a 6 foot 100kg winger

Now this is not a thread to bag him as i personally think he has plenty of promise but for mine he is still very much a work in progress. We seem to lose shape a little when he is on and he often goes it himself when our halves have set the play up.

I'm keen to see him continue his apprenticeship under Ballin and develop his football smarts and patience but if McInnes was available and keen to come, i would swoop as i see him as a much more rounded player
I agree. The word I would use is 'purpose'. Whilst he has spark he seems to lack purpose in his runs. He rarely seems fully committed in what he is doing.

Whilst he is showing spark he will be popular because of the way the team is going. Given that a number 9 is part of the so called "spine" of a team I don't see him as a long term answer at hooker. Not yet anyway.

No, bit too erratic and tends to hog the ball Sandow style.

Jayden just needs to learn to read the game in NSW Cup for now.

He has the skills, just lacks the application

Hasson is like Darcy.
Goes OK then goes psycho in almost every game and gives dumb penalties away proving his machismo :confused:

Giving away a penalty by stopping momentum is great.
Giving away a penalty to prove a personal point is unforgivable :mad:

Hasson's judiciary appearances are too predictable @:cool:

I repeat that

Coming up to State of Origin team I thought I’d take a leaf out of the NSW selection guidelines book and came up with this.

1: D.Williams – fullback and captain NSW Cup!

2: F.Mateo – Manu Vatevai eat your heart out
3: S.Matai – bust and pass to Jorge
4: J.Taufua – steamroller after the bust!
5: P.Hiku – finisher extraordinaire!!

6: D. Cherry-Evans – playmaker #2
7: B.Stewart – playmaker #1

8: D.Lui – Keener than some
9: J.Hodges – Zip Zip man
10: J. Trbojevic – start of a long Sea Eagle NRL career
11: M.Ballin – tackle, tackle, tackle and then tackle some more
12: T.Symonds – creative flair, runner
13: J.Lyon – close to the action, channeling Bozo!

14: L.Burgess – good when fresh
15: W.Mason – bring on after platform laid
16: J.Horo – the gaps man!, run at the gaps
17: B.Leary – close to a start

18: Kevin Forme (ballboy)

There, I think I’ve got as many as I can playing outside their best positions AND the added bonus of pairing our 2 great mates and playmakers together, this should turn it all around!

;-)

I repeat that

Coming up to State of Origin team I thought I’d take a leaf out of the NSW selection guidelines book and came up with this.

1: D.Williams – fullback and captain NSW Cup!

2: F.Mateo – Manu Vatevai eat your heart out
3: S.Matai – bust and pass to Jorge
4: J.Taufua – steamroller after the bust!
5: P.Hiku – finisher extraordinaire!!

6: D. Cherry-Evans – playmaker #2
7: B.Stewart – playmaker #1

8: D.Lui – Keener than some
9: J.Hodges – Zip Zip man
10: J. Trbojevic – start of a long Sea Eagle NRL career
11: M.Ballin – tackle, tackle, tackle and then tackle some more
12: T.Symonds – creative flair, runner
13: J.Lyon – close to the action, channeling Bozo!

14: L.Burgess – good when fresh
15: W.Mason – bring on after platform laid
16: J.Horo – the gaps man!, run at the gaps
17: B.Leary – close to a start

18: Kevin Forme (ballboy)

There, I think I’ve got as many as I can playing outside their best positions AND the added bonus of pairing our 2 great mates and playmakers together, this should turn it all around!

;-)

I don't get the idea of Stewart to 5/8. Is it becausE Lockyer did it?

Because Stewart can't kick real well, and isn't a to the line ball player, more a run an angle and throw the odd nice touch. He would be horrific in 5/8 and I'm starting to think the majority of others who say otherwise are more likely soccer fans than league fans

Because Stewart can't kick real well, and isn't a to the line ball player, more a run an angle and throw the odd nice touch. He would be horrific in 5/8 and I'm starting to think the majority of others who say otherwise are more likely soccer fans than league fans
Snake needs time and space. He is getting on and doesn't like the full on confrontation anymore and would get worn out by the extra defence. Keep him at fullback were he has and will win us many games.

Hasson is like Darcy.
Goes OK then goes psycho in almost every game and gives dumb penalties away proving his machismo :confused:

Giving away a penalty by stopping momentum is great.
Giving away a penalty to prove a personal point is unforgivable :mad:

Hasson's judiciary appearances are too predictable @:cool:
Hasson is Bryce Gibbs' long lost brother..be good if he joins him too. He's a dud. Hodges is worth a bit more time...he needs to watch everything Segeyaro does on Monday night...particularly his defence.

The problem isn't that we don't run much out of dummy half. It's that Tooves prefers that run to occur one out with DCE doing it. In Tooves game plan the hooker is just a delivery man. Get it to DCE and let him go. Which is why Ballin just keeps banging it out. Of course take the easy yards when you can, but they want the ball in DCE's hands as much as possible. And Hodges still breaks that plan by wanting to go it himself a little too much for Tooves, whereas Ballin will do exactly as he wants. IMO.

Not to mentioned the increase in defensive workload he would be on the field less than his brother

Sadly, most of our current forwards can't make more than 100 metres per game...so we can't afford to have hodges on the bench. Hopefully next year we wont have that problem and Hodges can get some solid game time.
Andrew, It sounds like you have given up on this year.
NYEagle

Matty Ballin needed Hodges tonight. He has really fallen away pace wise. His dummy half runs (Matts) were dreadful tonight.

When he first played for Manly, you could hear the ball fizz he was that quick at his distribution.

Age has wearied him.

Matty Ballin needed Hodges tonight. He has really fallen away pace wise. His dummy half runs (Matts) were dreadful tonight.

When he first played for Manly, you could hear the ball fizz he was that quick at his distribution.

Age has wearied him.
Yeah agree, I hate to say it but Balin is costing us up the middle of the ruck. Hodges should replace him and let's see how that changes things.

His little zips is what was missing. They might not make line breaks all the time but they do get us on the front foot. There was no dummy half momentum. 10 minutes of hasson defence in the end was useless.

I love Matt's passion for the club and he is so enthusiastic in defence but in attack now, I thin he adds much less than Hodges does but, Hodges offers less in defence. Devil if you and Devil if you don't basically

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6