Jayden Hodges right at home at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Hodges right at home at Manly
John Chammas
Monday 6 January 2014 4:00 PM

Sea Eagles recruit Jayden Hodges has conceded the move from Townsville to the big smoke was the most daunting proposition of the decision to leave the Cowboys.

But, since docking into the northern beaches at the end of last season, Hodges has felt right at home despite initial fears of the lifestyle adjustment.

“I’m loving my time here at Manly,” Hodges said. “When I was in Townsville I was a little frightened of the big city life in Sydney:p, but the northern beaches has it’s own little area and I’m really enjoying it.”

The cousin of Broncos centre Justin Hodges has settled in nicely at his new club and says it’s his teammates who have made the stay at Manly a pleasurable one.
“Surprisingly they are all relaxed here. I thought they’d be more intense but they are really laid back and outside footy all the boys are cool,” Hodges said.

Forced to leave his family and close friends in order to pursue his fledgling NRL career, Hodges says the opportunity to play alongside a team filled with international experience was an offer he simply couldn’t refuse.

The hooker revealed the coaching staff and talented crop of players at the Sea Eagles were the driving force behind his shift South.
"There were a lot of reasons. More importantly, the word opportunity came up. I made the move down here to work under Matt Ballin and the coaching staff,” Hodges said.
“To get the opportunity to work alongside Andrew Johns, Geoff Toovey, Dave Penna and Steve Georgallis, it was too big of an opportunity to knock back.
“Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran are international halves, one’s played Origin and just the opportunity to work with them will definitely improve my game.”

Having already played a handful of first-grade games last season at the Cowboys, Hodges trusts he is primed for the top grade should he be called upon.
“I’m prepared for that. My experience in the NRL last year was crazy. Coming from the Holden Cup, it’s a whole new game. The professionalism of the players is incredible and everything here has to be so specific.”

Hope Jayden settles in and learns to enjoy life as a Manly Sea Eagle :angel:

Bizarrely, the DT have Matty, who still has two years left of his contract, talking of extending for life :huh:
Manly Sea Eagles Matt Ballin wants to be one club man his entire career
JON GEDDES T JANUARY 07, 2014 12:00AM

IN the countdown to his eighth season in the NRL, Matt Ballin revealed his goal of being a one club man by playing his entire career with the Sea Eagles.

The Manly ironman who turned 30 on Sunday got stuck back into training at Narrabeen yesterday with the rest of the top squad following their Christmas break.

"All my first grade games have been here at Manly," Ballin said.

"It's a very strong club and has a very proud history.

"I want to make sure when I look back on my time here I am very proud of it and can say I have been a Manly Sea Eagles player for my whole career."

In the modern era long-serving one team players are becoming an endangered species.

"Obviously the salary cap affects certain players but a lot of players want to stay here for less money," Ballin said.

"It is a good indication that the club and it's community is very close."

The workaholic hooker is under contract to the Sea Eagles for two more seasons until the end of 2015.

He hopes that doesn't take bring down the curtain on his career and he can then secure another deal with the club.

"I'd really love to keep playing," Ballin said.

"A lot of things can happen in those two years- whether the club wants me and whether I'm offer the club anything on the field is another matter."

And Ballin is ready to continue his amazing defensive feats in 2014 that have become such a crucial element in the club's success.

"You'd rather have the ball in your hands and not do so much if it," he said.

"But when it comes down to it I am in the middle of the field there and most weeks I play 80 minutes.

"And I have always enjoyed tackling ever since I was a young bloke." :D
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-matt-ballin-wants-to-be-one-club-man-his-entire-career/story-fni3gnk1-1226796134361

Can you please submit these via http://www.silvertails.net/forum/misc.php?swmc=add_post going forward?

Just post them to the link and they will be published under your name once they have been reviewed and approved by one of the guys with access to approve them

HappilyManly said:
No :exclamation: :p

But I'll stop posting news items - never got the hang of Articles, especially via a phone :(

like cowbell, the world needs more emoticons!

change a few words and post it as your own lol (don't do that).

The article thing is one extra step and helps dan avoid all these multi million dollars lawsuits he says he's getting daily *

(*he didn't say that)

But I, for one lhope you keep it up, esp the bolded bits as you know...a.d.d. and all hey look a squirrel!!!

Stevo said:
And maybe not highlight random statements and go easy on the emoticons! lol

It wouldn't be HM without emoticons...I would be :( if there wasn't any, it makes me :).........:p(my fav)

I hope ballin does sign for life, it will help transition and pass on the current clubman ship to the next generation

HappilyManly said:
The gist is, are there squirrels in that Polar Vortex that you live in GE? :D

Damn chipmunks everywhere! edit: oooooh I just the polar vortex reference!

wombatgc said:
It wouldn't be HM without emoticons...I would be :( if there wasn't any, it makes me :).........:p(my fav)

I agree:exclamation:

Dan said:
I hope ballin does sign for life, it will help transition and pass on the current clubman ship to the next generation

Me too. Is there any dispensation from the nrl re: salary cap for 10 year players etc? I'm not sure anymore. But the way the nrl love promoting the potential of 1 club players you'd think pommy smith would get off his jumping castle and make some decision.

globaleagle said:
HappilyManly said:

Damn chipmunks everywhere!

wombatgc said:

Dan said:

Me too. Is there any dispensation from the nrl re: salary cap for 10 year players etc? I'm not sure anymore. But the way the nrl love promoting the potential of 1 club players you'd think pommy smith would get off his jumping castle and make some decision.

There used to be, not sure if that changed with the cap extensions

globaleagle said:
HappilyManly said:

Damn chipmunks everywhere! edit: oooooh I just the polar vortex reference!

wombatgc said:

Dan said:

Individually, no. If your club has an 8-year veteran (continuous service) the club gets a small lift in the Cap of about $200,000 as a reward. But even if you get another, or half a dozen more, it remains at that set, maximum amount of relief in the Cap.

If it were individual-based, we'd have over $1mil on top of our Cap to spend and likely would have retained Kite.

Me too. He may be the "James Segeyaro" type I've been wanting for years now.

Another tough Queenslander! Say what you like about Qld, they sure can produce some quality number 7's and 9's.

GO MANLY!!

globaleagle said:
Dan said:

There is a full review of the salary cap coming up this year some time from Greenberg and Jim Doyle. I'm hoping that in the review some sort of permanent dispensation for juniors and tenure with a club will bring some value to player retention.

If you get 50% off the cap for every player that has been with your club for 10 years, and an extra 25% off if they are a local junior, think about how much we would save on the cap. It would start forcing Brisbane to keep some of their juniors as well, instead of sending them to Sydney then trying to buy them back.

Jono said:
globaleagle said:
Dan said:

There is a full review of the salary cap coming up this year some time from Greenberg and Jim Doyle. I'm hoping that in the review some sort of permanent dispensation for juniors and tenure with a club will bring some value to player retention.

If you get 50% off the cap for every player that has been with your club for 10 years, and an extra 25% off if they are a local junior, think about how much we would save on the cap. It would start forcing Brisbane to keep some of their juniors as well, instead of sending them to Sydney then trying to buy them back.

Any inclusion of 'local junior' would be disasterous in the context of keeping things relatively level at NRL level. Imagine the Broncos effectively classing 22-23 of their Top 25 as 'local' each and every season!!! What club could hope to enjoy that level of benefit, further allowing the Broncos to sweep up all the talent in the SE Qld area.

Note also that the junior structures outside the NSWRL are completely different. Maybe if you have all clubs with representation down to U15s, you could implement it. But it just wouldn't work in the current setups.

I prefer to drop any use the term junior, and would prefer an assessment be made on 'club developed' talent, meaning that once they are in your NYC and into your senior sides (such as Ressies when that level is fixed) on a continuous basis, you can claim them for long-term benefits.

I would also cut off any player that moves clubs after 50 games in club colours, meaning that in the situation for Inglis, Souths could never claim a long-term/development benefit from his move there from Melbourne.

Any inclusion of 'local junior' would be disasterous in the context of keeping things relatively level at NRL level. Imagine the Broncos effectively classing 22-23 of their Top 25 as 'local' each and every season!!! What club could hope to enjoy that level of benefit, further allowing the Broncos to sweep up all the talent in the SE Qld area

I think you misunderstood. The junior discount is applied as a bonus to long term player cap concessions, not a stand alone concession on its own. The club has to keep a junior player for the minimum time period to qualify for a long term player concession and then they get an extra reward for him being a junior. That's a good idea IMO.

Hamster Huey said:
Jono said:
globaleagle said:
Dan said:

Any inclusion of 'local junior' would be disasterous in the context of keeping things relatively level at NRL level. Imagine the Broncos effectively classing 22-23 of their Top 25 as 'local' each and every season!!! What club could hope to enjoy that level of benefit, further allowing the Broncos to sweep up all the talent in the SE Qld area.

Note also that the junior structures outside the NSWRL are completely different. Maybe if you have all clubs with representation down to U15s, you could implement it. But it just wouldn't work in the current setups.

I prefer to drop any use the term junior, and would prefer an assessment be made on 'club developed' talent, meaning that once they are in your NYC and into your senior sides (such as Ressies when that level is fixed) on a continuous basis, you can claim them for long-term benefits.

I would also cut off any player that moves clubs after 50 games in club colours, meaning that in the situation for Inglis, Souths could never claim a long-term/development benefit from his move there from Melbourne.

I might have given you the wrong impression there. When I said juniors I meant them being a Manly Sea Eagle junior, so SG Ball upwards, playing for the Manly club, going through the Manly system. If 22 of the players are players that can call themselves Broncos from 15 years of age, then they deserve to be compensated. If they are extremely successful, even more so. It would show that the system at the club is successful right the way through.

The reality is that a club won't have that many come through the system from 15 years old. A lot aren't good enough, some get lost in the system or are injured, some get paid more at other clubs.

Chip and Chase said:
Any inclusion of 'local junior' would be disasterous in the context of keeping things relatively level at NRL level. Imagine the Broncos effectively classing 22-23 of their Top 25 as 'local' each and every season!!! What club could hope to enjoy that level of benefit, further allowing the Broncos to sweep up all the talent in the SE Qld area

I think you misunderstood. The junior discount is applied as a bonus to long term player cap concessions, not a stand alone concession on its own. The club has to keep a junior player for the minimum time period to qualify for a long term player concession and then they get an extra reward for him being a junior. That's a good idea IMO.

I still don't see how this doesn't still play into the hands of the Broncos, let alone address how you assess a 'junior'. They don't have an equivalent of a MWJRLFC under them to make a clear case for juniors, in effect giving them access to call any kid in Brisbane a junior.

A lot of work needs to be put in to assess how any use of the term junior can apply to Cap concessions, and as I touched on before, would probably require a full review down to the JRL level to try and prevent hoarding.

Jono said:
Hamster Huey said:
Jono said:
globaleagle said:
Dan said:

I might have given you the wrong impression there. When I said juniors I meant them being a Manly Sea Eagle junior, so SG Ball upwards, playing for the Manly club, going through the Manly system. If 22 of the players are players that can call themselves Broncos from 15 years of age, then they deserve to be compensated. If they are extremely successful, even more so. It would show that the system at the club is successful right the way through.

The reality is that a club won't have that many come through the system from 15 years old. A lot aren't good enough, some get lost in the system or are injured, some get paid more at other clubs.

Until the likes of the Qld clubs have SG Ball equivalents, and not just contracting out all their development to QRL clubs, it doesn't have the basis yet to consider Cap reward.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4