Jason King quietly relinquishes Sea Eagles captaincy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
RE: Sea Eagles star defers decision on his future

Jason King will always be a leader at Manly. But his days of captaining the club ended some time ago.

Read More

Jason King will always be a leader at Manly. But his days of captaining the club ended some time ago.

Read More

In the off-season, King approached coach Geoff Toovey about his role as co-captain a
manly-jason-king-shoudler-6281.jpg
longside Jamie Lyon.

Having spent considerable time on the sidelines, the veteran prop believed the team would be best served being led by Lyon, allowing him to concentrate on regaining his fitness.

Keen Sea Eagles observers would have noted that King hasn't represented the club at post-game press conferences or had the (c) beside his name on the team sheets.

There was no announcement from the club about the move. King was happy to go about his business in his understated way.

"I thought it was probably the best thing for the team, that was at the front of my mind," King said.

"I've had a lot of dramas with injuries over the last few years and it's probably more a need to concentrate on my own performance and getting myself right.

"It's probably something I needed to do to tick the individual box before I could be a leader in the team.

"Coming off the bench, Jamie is leading the team at this stage."

King, off contract at the end of the season, remains a key part of the Sea Eagles leadership group.

Just two games shy of his 200th first grade appearance, the 33-year-old has played all of his football for Manly, save for 22 appearances for the Northern Eagles.

"I contribute and help out this team in any way I can," King said.

"I'm very honoured to play at the Sea Eagles and honoured to be a leader here. If I can do anything to assist this team, I'll certainly do that."

The former NSW forward is coy about his future, delaying any decision on his playing career until the end of the season. He has graduated from university with a business administration degree and is close to completing the law component, making him one of the few props qualified to be a lawyer.

"I'll try to combine the three areas of experience or background – law, business administration and the experience of being a professional rugby league player," he said.

"It's not something I'm focusing on now, I know I'm at the back end of my career. I'll just focus on game performance and team performance for now."

The Sea Eagles forwards are still smarting after being dominated by their South Sydney counterparts last weekend. The grand finalists take on the Gold Coast on Sunday in what will be Neil Henry's first game in charge as head coach of the Titans.
Adrian Proszenko

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/veteran-prop-jason-king-quietly-relinquishes-manly-sea-eagles-captaincy-20140816-104vme.html

How old is this article ?? Kingy played his 200th game for Manly earlier this year

Chip and Chase said:
How old is this article ?? Kingy played his 200th game for Manly earlier this year

SMH League HQ
August 16, 2014 - 4:06PM

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4